DL goes after US Shuttle Customers-and adds F to Shuttle Fleet PLUS...

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
Well it looks like DL has fired a shot across the bow of the US Shuttle.

Not only are they reconfiguring the dedicated shuttle fleet to mainline standards, which means First Class (although the added pitch will likely disappear), but they are offering DOUBLE MQM bonus on shuttle flights now until some time in December.

Looks like they are going after the few premium shuttle customers US has left......

So how do you think US will respond?????

DL- 500 Miles PLUS double Elite Qualifying Miles

US- around 200 miles, no bonuses....

Brilliant marketing move on DL's part in my opinion.

Not only are they reconfiguring the dedicated shuttle fleet to mainline standards, which means First Class (although the added pitch will likely disappear),

Don't read too much into that, that move is clearly being made from an operational standpoint. Even US realized years ago that it was operationally inefficient to have a small dedicated Shuttle fleet; I'm surprised DL is just now making this move.

From an inflight standpoint (based on DL's press release), it looks like the on board service will be identical with DL offering free beer and wine to everyone and free cocktails/spirits in F (same as US). DL, will however, have inflight wifi on all their planes for $9.95 by next spring, while US has basically remained mum on the wifi issue.

I agree with you here. Keep in mind that it might not just be targeted at US customers, but also an attempt to lure former AA customers to DL instead of US as AA is planning to exit the LGA-DCA market come November. Art, I'm not too familiar with the DL FF program -- is it possible to attain status based on segments flown or is it based solely on mileage accrued?

DL is one of the few if not the only carrier which does NOT give credit for segments, so I would say this is big for many shuttle flyers.

I know the fleet change is an operational move and it will save costs too, but in a way it also benefits the customer.

Imagine that....a move which benefits customers while at the same time saving the airline money..now ain't that a novel approach?

Art, I'm not too familiar with the DL FF program -- is it possible to attain status based on segments flown or is it based solely on mileage accrued?

DL you earn status on Medallion Qualification Miles only.

And I do think this is a brilliant move by Delta.

Art and DrBeth, thanks for clearing that up.

Like it or don't the majority of the population and wealth is EAST. Ergo logic would dictate that if you have a route network that blankets the East you'd leverage that to it's full extent.

Unless of course you think the world revolves around the sun drenched dung heap in the desert aka Tempe, AZ then you'd make the moves that Tempe has.

Bob, I agree with you 100% and I think Tempe halfway does (PHX capacity is down ~10% this fall while CLT/PHL are down only ~2%) but they just don't care about thanking those customers for their business. I'm not sure if this was directed towards me or not, but I definitely didn't mean to imply anything to the contrary.

Not only are they reconfiguring the dedicated shuttle fleet to mainline standards, which means First Class (although the added pitch will likely disappear), but they are offering DOUBLE MQM bonus on shuttle flights now until some time in December.

Looks like they are going after the few premium shuttle customers US has left......

So how do you think US will respond?????

Secret, secret, I got a secret! LUV's marketing is better, brilliant, and less obvious!

I see it. WN isn't in my area, yet, but they are announcing their arrival. A discreet sticker that blends into the environment. It's a subliminal marketting ploy. You don't see it but they are targeting LCC and their passengers.

Might seem nuts but having once studied marketing and exploitation, I find it pure genius! It's hypnotic and it seems to target US and B6 passengers. It took me a bit to get it. When I showed others, they didn't see it. I hope to post it here at sometime!

YADA YADA YADA LUV is genius and its marketing move is brilliant!

Remember LUV is the real enemy! :shock:

Secret, secret, I got a secret! LUV's marketing is better, brilliant, and less obvious!

I see it. WN isn't in my area, yet, but they are announcing their arrival. A discreet sticker that blends into the environment. It's a subliminal marketting ploy. You don't see it but they are targeting LCC and their passengers.

Might seem nuts but having once studied marketing and exploitation, I find it pure genius! It's hypnotic and it seems to target US and B6 passengers. It took me a bit to get it. When I showed others, they didn't see it. I hope to post it here at sometime!

YADA YADA YADA LUV is genius and its marketing move is brilliant!

Remember LUV is the real enemy! :shock:
LUV has an incredible marketing department... I LUV them :)

I only take the occassional swipe at the West sycophants. Even that grows tiresome. I did find it funny that one of the articles stated:

"In a move to match US Airways Shuttle’s offering, Delta will offer first class service on its shuttle flights between New York and Washington and New York and Boston beginning December 1."

All I have to say is:

Delta is matching US Airways?????

Bob,

In order to match US on the Shuttle, DL will also have to stop offering free newspapers (except for day-old NY tabloids in DCA), and start funneling all their Florida-bound passengers from NYC and BOS through DCA; so that the business traveler who pays the $800 walk-up fare on the Shuttle gets to sit in front of the backpack, flip-flop, tank top, hyperactive kid-toting, Great Unwashed who paid $69 on the Internet for their trip to Walley World.

Oh, and they'll have to intermix planes and crews in and out of the Shuttle schedule; so that on a bright, sunshiny day in DCA, the agent will have to explain to the cabinet secretary that the 1100 Shuttle to LGA will be late because of thunderstorms in MCO.

LUV has an incredible marketing department... I LUV them :)
AH...

But LUV cant fly DCA-LGA-BOS

so whats your point....
remember these are controlled airports.... and slots and LUV would kill for them... but
won't ever have them...

Sorry :shock:

AH...

But LUV cant fly DCA-LGA-BOS

so whats your point....
remember these are controlled airports.... and slots and LUV would kill for them... but
won't ever have them...

Sorry :shock:
Wolf had the shuttle sold just to get a merger thru, Trump bought it and sold it to US, and US gave some of it away during bankruptcy. The shuttle will always be a player

Wolf had the shuttle sold just to get a merger thru, Trump bought it and sold it to US, and US gave some of it away during bankruptcy. The shuttle will always be a player

What did US give away in bankruptcy? Didn't Trump buy the Shuttle from Eastern?

What did US give away in bankruptcy? Didn't Trump buy the Shuttle from Eastern?
Yep trump bought it from a spin-off of EA Trump arranged to purchase the shuttle. In June, 1989 the deal was completed, financed through a $380 million loan from a syndicate of 22 banks. Then. the banks finally negotiated a complex marketing arrangement in which US would assume 40% ownership and agree to manage the operation for ten years, including fares, financial record keeping, advertising, promotions, aircraft maintenance, and labor relations. The same agreement gave USAir an option to purchase the entire shuttle operation on or after a October 1996 with an exclusive right to do so until April 1997. On April 1992, Trump Shuttle ceased to exist when it was merged into a new corporation, Shuttle, Inc., which began operating as the USAir Shuttle on April 12, 1992.
US subsequently announced the purchase of the remainder of Shuttle, Inc. on November 1997 and the service has since operated under the name US Airways Shuttle. Shuttle, Inc. remained as a subsidiary of US Airways Group until July 1, 2000 when it was merged into US Airways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Shuttle

Back