Do low selling flights get cancelled?

hoovied

Aug 7, 2019
Hello, first time flyer with Delta coming up in November--flying round trip from Minneapolis/Saint Paul to Haneda, Japan. I understand we're 4 months out from the flight, but the flight to Haneda only looks about 20% booked at this point, and that may be generous. If low numbers persist close to flight time, is there a risk of the flight being cancelled? I find it hard to believe they would fly a half empty plane international like that. But, since it's an advertised flight, maybe they're bound to fly regardless of paid seats. Will there be the chance for last-minute upgrades to better seats at the gate? I have only a few flights under my belt, and none internationally. I'm sure more people will buy seats as we draw near to the flight. But the low sales as of yet just piqued my curiosity. Any input appreciated--thanks!

How do you know it's only 20% sold? Don't trust the seatmap on the website. Not all customers book seats in advance, and not all customers *can* book seats in advance depending on the fare.

More importantly.... the center of the booking curve (i.e. how many days in advance people book) tends to be 45-50 days prior to departure. You're the anomaly booking this far out. Business customers typically only book within 6-15 days of travel.

Check again in early October, and again two weeks out.

E, I was once told that it is a violation of Federal law to cancel a flight due solely to low sales, and I know that I worked a couple of flights that were over half empty. Is this anywhere close to the truth?

In 30 years, I've never seen a government rule that would prohibit or penalize airlines for canceling flights for any reason.