Do you care about georgia ?

freedom

Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
Why do our political leaders insist on fronting the view that “America†cares about georgia ?

Why do I care that one of Russia’s smaller satellites has been reoccupied ?Answer , I don’t … Sure peace love and freedom are great things , but lets be pragmatic here , Russia supplies about 25% of Europe’s energy needs here , what’s the united states going to do ? Go to war over some backwater former soviet republic ?

I think the president and our political leaders should focus more on how their going to climb our country out of debt rather than waste time with empty threats and important sounding speeches … After IRAQ and Afghanistan their credibility in foreign affairs has gone to zip .

Why do our political leaders insist on fronting the view that “America†cares about georgia ?

Why do I care that one of Russia’s smaller satellites has been reoccupied ?Answer , I don’t … Sure peace love and freedom are great things , but lets be pragmatic here , Russia supplies about 25% of Europe’s energy needs here , what’s the united states going to do ? Go to war over some backwater former soviet republic ?

I think the president and our political leaders should focus more on how their going to climb our country out of debt rather than waste time with empty threats and important sounding speeches … After IRAQ and Afghanistan their credibility in foreign affairs has gone to zip .

It is all about oil, bud. Georgia is situated between the Black Sea and Caspian Sea. It is said that these areas are significant oil reserves... particularly the Caspian Sea. So, while Georgia may not contain a significant amount of energy resources, they are situated in a significant area... an area that is likely a strategic area for other countries (read: Russia) to lay pipelines.

For years, the U.S. has wanted to use Georgia as a land lane for delivering oil to Europe and, thus, to the U.S. I don't think that strategy has been lost on our Iraq-obsessed administration.

War? In Georgia? :shock: Was Atlanta damaged? They better not touch a shingle on Aunt PittyPat's Porch!

This current events business is so hard to keep up with now that the new season of Project Runway has started. :eek:

War? In Georgia? :shock: Was Atlanta damaged? They better not touch a shingle on Aunt PittyPat's Porch!

This current events business is so hard to keep up with now that the new season of Project Runway has started. :eek:

Its worse than you think..............

The United States and Poland have agreed on a missle defense deal, and according to the Associated Press Russia is “infuriated.â€￾

U.S. officials also said the timing of the deal was not meant to antagonize Russian leaders at a time when relations already are strained over the recent fighting between Russia and Georgia over the South Ossetia region.

Why do our political leaders insist on fronting the view that “Americaâ€￾ cares about georgia ?

This could have dire consequences in the future of eastern Europe, and the United States. We should be paying close attention to this. Actually, Bush should have seen this crisis coming. Mark this as another failed foreign policy in this inept administration.

The United States and Europe ignored this brewing crisis for too long. President Bush wanted to play all sides — flattering Georgia’s president, Mikheil Saakashvili, as Mr. Saakashvili baited Moscow and looking the other way as Mr. Putin bullied his neighbors. (American officials insist that they warned the Georgian leader not to fall into Moscow’s trap by sending troops into South Ossetia — but they clearly weren’t persuasive enough.)

Even after Russian bombers began pounding Georgia last week, President Bush seemed to hope that his old pal Mr. Putin was just blowing off steam. The Europeans, who are far too reliant on Russian energy supplies, were even more in denial. On Wednesday, some European leaders, including Germany’s foreign minister, were still reluctant to blame Russia. (Source)

South Ossetia - The Stakes:

Vadim Gustov, Chairman of the Federation Council Committee for CIS Affairs, blamed the United States and its allies for developments in South Ossetia. “Washington is pursuing its aggressive policy of deploying NATO systems around Russia, first in Europe, close to our borders, and now it seems to be Georgia’s turn,â€￾ he noted. “Georgia’s army numbers 37,000 troops, they are well-trained and well-armed military units, financed largely with the help of the United States. Gustov is convinced that if Washington showed displeasure with the events in South Ossetia, Georgia would stop immediately. “It is not accidental that Georgia is forcing events now, when the US presidential election is in full swing and George Bush’s days in the White House are numbered. By doing do, Georgia wants to gain favor with the Americans, persuading them to accept the republic into NATO as soon as possible,â€￾ he thinks.

Chairman of the State Duma Committee for Security Vladimir Vasilyev said the current conflict is South Ossetia is very reminiscent to the wars in Iraq and Kosovo. "The things that were happening in Kosovo, the things that were happening in Iraq - we are now following the same path. The further the situation unfolds, the more the world will understand that Georgia would never be able to do all this without America.... In essence, they have prepared the force, which destroys everything in South Ossetia, attacks civilians and hospitals. They are responsible for this. The world community will learn about it,â€￾ the official said.

The United States and Poland have agreed on a missle defense deal, and according to the Associated Press Russia is “infuriated.â€￾

U.S. officials also said the timing of the deal was not meant to antagonize Russian leaders at a time when relations already are strained over the recent fighting between Russia and Georgia over the South Ossetia region.

Thanks for the link, Tug. I am sure that the timing is just "coincidence." (bleeding with sarcasm) What do you think Tug?

Flashback to April 3, 2008:

Source

BUCHAREST, Romania — President Bush threw the NATO summit meeting here off-script on Wednesday by lobbying hard to extend membership to Ukraine and Georgia, but he failed to rally support for the move among key allies...Mr. Bush failed to win over a consensus of NATO members in a debate at a dinner of NATO leaders, a senior German official said Wednesday night, with at least seven countries lined up against him...Mr. Bush, entering his last NATO summit meeting as president, was described by the official as wanting to “lay down a markerâ€￾ for his legacy and not wanting to “lose faithâ€￾ with the Ukrainian and Georgian peoples and the other former Soviet republics. As Mr. Bush did more often early in his presidency, he expressed his views candidly despite warnings from allies that he was complicating efforts to find diplomatic solutions.

Thanks for the link, Tug. I am sure that the timing is just "coincidence." (bleeding with sarcasm) What do you think Tug?

It’s no secret that over the last few years America and Poland have been working on a deal to bring a mission defense system to Poland. The “knownâ€￾ was the fact that a missile defense deal with Poland was imminent. The “unknownâ€￾ was Russia’s surprise attack and invasion of Georgia on 08 Aug 08. Seems coincidental to me.

It’s no secret that over the last few years America and Poland have been working on a deal to bring a mission defense system to Poland. The “knownâ€￾ was the fact that a missile defense deal with Poland was imminent. The “unknownâ€￾ was Russia’s surprise attack and invasion of Georgia on 08 Aug 08. Seems coincidental to me.

You don't think there is any coincidence? Like you said, for "years" Poland and America have been working on a deal. Only now, within days of Russia's attack, did they decide to memoralize an agreement. Keep in mind, this defense system is similar to strategies attempted during the cold war... combine that with the increased cold war-like rhetoric being employed by the U.S., and I would say that it is not simply a coincidence that the U.S. announced the U.S.-Poland deal the same time as Russia's strike.

You don't think there is any coincidence? Like you said, for "years" Poland and America have been working on a deal. Only now, within days of Russia's attack, did they decide to memoralize an agreement. Keep in mind, this defense system is similar to strategies attempted during the cold war... combine that with the increased cold war-like rhetoric being employed by the U.S., and I would say that it is not simply a coincidence that the U.S. announced the U.S.-Poland deal the same time as Russia's strike.

Would Russia have been any less upset if the US had waited to make the deal?

It is my belief that the US placed a missile defense system in Poland so as to have leverage with Russia in dealing with the ongoing Iranian nuclear weapons program. In the end, if Russia persuades Iran to abandon their nuclear weapons program the US will, in turn, remove Poland’s missile defense shield.

To the question,"Do you care about Georgia", my answer is NO.

The (inadequate) current President has caused enough trouble for this country(Iraq), and needs to MYOB, with regard to Russian Georgian affairs.

Don't worry kiddies......you'll see refueling,nuke laden Ivan bombers

90 miles south of Key West for sure now.

Butt alas.......Big 'O' is the new JFK.....I'm sure he has a plan.

Calling on Russian pilots to resume "combat duty," Russian President Vladimir Putin announced Aug. 17 that his country's strategic nuclear bombers would resume their Cold War-era practice of conducting long-range patrols "on a permanent basis." He told reporters that "our pilots have spent too long on the ground. I know that they are happy to now have this chance to begin a new life and we wish them luck." Although the main function of these aircraft is to conduct nuclear missile strikes against the continental United States, Putin said he hoped that other countries would show "understanding" for the Russian decision.

Richard Weitz 20 Aug 2007

The Bear is alive,well and very hungry all of the sudden.......

Latest posts

Back