DOT Denies PHL-PEK Extension

Blaming Tempe ignores the fact that US Airways is basically a regional domestic carrier with a medium-sized European operation. They are not a global carrier in the mold of UA, AA, or DL. Colodny/Schofield/Wolf/Siegel didn't go to Asia either.

You used the word cheap not me.

Prudent? perhaps! But then we get into the debate of leadership versus management.

Managers will pull out their spreadsheets and examine all of the numbers

Leaders will see the big picture and act accordingly.

Managers are Doug Parker & Scott Kirby

Leaders are named Gordon Bethune and Herb Kelleher and the US management team doesn't make a pimple on Gordon Bethune's arse.

So insult me all you like. I really don't care. I was here when you got here and I'll be here when you're gone.

Actually, you used the word cheap to me, jeez go back and look. :rolleyes:

If they were serious about China, they would have ordered an airplane that can actually do it. 777

Airbus at all costs!
Anyone ever notice that Air France is not all Airbus? Wonder why?

Blaming Tempe ignores the fact that US Airways is basically a regional domestic carrier with a medium-sized European operation. They are not a global carrier in the mold of UA, AA, or DL. Colodny/Schofield/Wolf/Siegel didn't go to Asia either.

Blaming the fact that US is basically a regional carrier and that other leaders didn't go to Asia ignores the fact that it was Parker and Co. that APPLIED FOR THE SERVICE! Bus driver is right.

Applied for the service in a robust economic environment hoping a couple airplanes would fall in their lap for cheap.

It looks like the denial for an extension may be only temporary. US can apply for an extension again closer to the expiration date. I do not see any other airline jumping at the chance to grab this slot right now. Isn't there at least 3 China slots that have been awarded that are not being used? If a carrier has their own slot they are not using, they are not going to try and grab this one. The demand is just not there right now and I predict if the demand continues to be slow, an extension will be granted. If the economy picks up and demand for China travel increases, then US will probably start the service.

Applied for the service in a robust economic environment hoping a couple airplanes would fall in their lap for cheap.

Seems to be Dumb and Dumber's basic management plan since the merger.........

It's time to start managing the airline - instead of looking for an exit strategy (that results in the most $$$ for the management team's). The myopic half - arsed crisis management we have experience the past four years, diluting the east coast markets, and and the economy has resulted in the sub standard (air)BUS Service US Airways has morphed into.

How much would it cost to get The Tempe Clown posse to leave?? Probably cheaper than keeping them running the operation.

I for one would throw a few bucks toward their departure.

I'm too lazy to check for myself, so does anyone know if the route authority requires nonstop flights? If US really wants the route but doesn't want to obtain the planes at the moment I wonder if they could fly PHL-ANC-PEK using A330's. It is approximately 500 miles more than the great circle route, but they might also be able to pick up passengers in ANC.

ATH-PHL is an advertised NON-STOP but as we all know a lot of the time it turns into direct to PHL with a stop in BOS or BGR. Why should China be any different? Little bratty kids trying to play in the big boy pool. I bet Doug and Scott always tried to sit at the Adult table on holidays when they were only 10...LOL Heck they probably still get sat at the folding card table with the kids.

Back