DOT Report for August 2007

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
The latest DOT report is out.......

DOT report covering August

O/T Arrivals: #14 of 20 reporting carriers, ahead of NW and UA among mainline carriers, with 69.3% of arrivals within 15 minutes of schedule (average of reporting carriers was 71.7%)

Cancellations: #11 of 20, ahead of AA and UA among mainline carriers, with 1.6% of flights canceled (average of reporting carriers was 1.9%)

Mishandled Baggage: #14 of 20, behind all mainline carriers, with 9.61 mishandled bags per 1,000 enplaned passengers (average of reporting carriers was 7.55)

Consumer Complaints: #20 of 20, obviously behind all other reporting carriers, with 4.42 complaints per 100,000 enplaned passengers (average was 1.83)

Jim

Again we are at the bottom of the list for everything, execpt for A14, which we are near the bottom. And PHX can not figure out why.... Maybe if they paid us what we deserved and gave us the tools we needed. CO operated pretty good during the same period, and they operate out of the same ATC constraints as PHL, so no excuses please from Parker and Co. about the "nature of PHL".

Give us what we need to do the job please, and pay us what we are worth. You get what you pay for should be the newest US Airways marketing campaign. It really sucks to see these numbers, because we have so much potential at this airline. We are sitting on a gold mine in the northeast, and company won't turn it in to the cash cow that it could be.

-Not too bad for A14 and Cancellations.

-Though #14 in A14 and #4/6 Legacies, US was within 1 percentage of point of Delta, American and jetBlue. An ok improvement.

-I think where US did pretty well (better than I would have thought) was the number of flights late 80% of the time or more. Only 3 US flights arrived late more than 80% of the time. The only regional carrier for US that would report is Mesa, and they did not have any US Express flights late 80% or more.

In comparison:
13 for Delta
6 for Southwest
14 for AirTran
6 for AA
53 for ASA (Delta Connection)
19 for Comair

-Cancellations are pretty average considering the NE concentration and how summer weather can cause a flurry of cancellations.

-Baggage was pretty bad...worst out of legacies but not far from Delta and jetBlue. An August year over year improvement....the one brightside.

-THEN COMPLAINTS!!! These are out of control. That number is ABSOLUTELY horrible! Obviously complaints to the DOT are usually complaints from previous months....but this is ridiculously high. I would say a lot of these are from Transatlantic passengers put throug hell during June and July. This HAS to improve...this rate is out of control

-Cancellations are pretty average considering the NE concentration and how summer weather can cause a flurry of cancellations.
What doesn't show up is USX cancellations (other than Mesa and there's no way to tell which "brand" canceled there) - nearly 100 per day average in August (2,915). One has to wonder if more US flights would have been in the "Late 80% or more" list without all those USX cancellations.

Jim

Cutting back in a high performing station like PIT will solve these problems.

The only number that matters in the Sandbox is the current net profit.

Cutting back in a high performing station like PIT will solve these problems.

The only number that matters in the Sandbox is the current net profit.

You know, one of the things I'm looking forward to after I get furloughed (or whatever they're calling it) is being able to watch the airline self-destruct without actually participating in the day-to-day crap. Maybe I could make bumper stickers or T-shirts that say, "Don't blame me, man! I used to work in PIT."

Parker, Kirby and all the rest of the retards: Better line those pockets and take trips to the Caymans often, because you just shot yet another hole in your leaky dinghy.

I'm hoping there's a net loss next year. And no, I'm not bitter at all.

US Airways tops for complaints, American Eagle has worst bag-handling rate

The August on-time flight ratings released yesterday by the Bureau Transportation Statistics showed that airlines remain on pace for one of the industry's worst-years ever (see below). USA TODAY takes a look at some of the other findings contained in the report.

Complaints: Passengers filed 1,359 in August, more than double the number (657) reported during the same month a year ago. US Airways scored the lowest with 4.4 complaints per 100,000 customers. That was double its rate from a year ago but was better than its July numbers. Looking at the DOT's Air Travel Consumer Report (page 40), these airlines rounded out the bottom five for complaints-per-passenger: United (2.87 complaints per 100,000 fliers), Northwest (2.49), Delta (2.4) and Delta affiliate Comair (1.99). The five airlines with the fewest complaints per passengers: Southwest (0.40 complaints per 100,000 fliers), Hawaiian (0.47), Aloha (0.57), JetBlue (0.59) and Frontier (0.69). The top legacy carrier was Continental (1.58), which rated 13th out of the 20 airlines in the report.

Taxi-out waits: USA TODAY says that "in August, 159 flights sat on a runway or taxiway for at least three hours. The longest wait was nearly six hours. An Aug. 17 ExpressJet flight left the gate at 2:17 p.m. in Portland, Maine, and took of for Newark at 8:07 p.m." ExpressJet flies as a Continental Express carrier on its routes to Newark.

Mishandled bags: Airlines mishandled 7.6 bags per 1,000 fliers, which USA TODAY notes showed a "slight" improvement over the 8.1-bags-per-1,000 fliers mishandled during the same month a year ago. The paper writes "US Airways improved its bag handling, yet its performance still was the worst of the major airlines." But several regional carriers fared worse, according to the Air Travel Consumer Report (page 30). American affiliate American Eagle had the worst rate (13.96 bags per 1,000 fliers), followed by Delta affiliate Atlantic Southeast (13.68), regional giant Mesa (12.42), Delta subsidiary Comair (12.14) and Northwest affiliate Pinnacle (10.64). The top five: Hawaiian (3.1), Aloha (3.72), AirTran (5.19), United (5.42) and Northwest (5.49).

only stating opinions