Doug Parker says "No urgency to merge"

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Contrary to some of his earlier statements and actions, Parker told his employees today that he's in no rush to merge US and AA. Almost reads like someone gave him a primer on tortious interference, and warned him that his earlier actions appeared to come close. Maybe the general counsel of US sat him down for some education:

US Airways Group (LCC.N) is in no rush to merge with bankrupt American Airlines and expects its rival to defer any review of a possible deal now that it has asked a judge for more time to formulate an exit plan on its own.

"That delay is fine by us - there is certainty no urgency to merge," US Airways' chief executive, Doug Parker, said in a note to employees on Wednesday.

"American is in bankruptcy and we need to respect the bankruptcy process, so we are doing just that," Parker said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/04/us-airlines-usairways-amr-idUSBRE8630RH20120704?feedType=RSS&feedName=innovationNews&rpc=43

Merge or not to merge,that is the question. Parker is trying to hide his strong desire to be a CEO of a large internationally known airline. He probably is looking for a home in the Dallas metroplex area. All kidding aside,I have mixed feelings about a merger between AA and US. Labor seems to buy whatever Parker is promising and that makes me uneasy. The airline business is cyclical being steered by the economy,oil prices,and terrorism,all variables that can make any agreement null and void. Airways needs to grow with far east service and a mid west hub and this can be done over time without a merger. To digest the AA,US merger is a major undertaking that will take years to complete. Airways has not finalized the US-HP labor situation after many years and this is small change compared to integrating AA and US.
Some hubs will have to be drawn down and some be turned into focus cities. Many jobs lost,not saved. A lot can happen in the next few months,we wait and see how all of this will play out.

Reactions: 1 person
Merge or not to merge,that is the question. Parker is trying to hide his strong desire to be a CEO of a large internationally known airline. He probably is looking for a home in the Dallas metroplex area. All kidding aside,I have mixed feelings about a merger between AA and US. Labor seems to buy whatever Parker is promising and that makes me uneasy. The airline business is cyclical being steered by the economy,oil prices,and terrorism,all variables that can make any agreement null and void. Airways needs to grow with far east service and a mid west hub and this can be done over time without a merger. To digest the AA,US merger is a major undertaking that will take years to complete. Airways has not finalized the US-HP labor situation after many years and this is small change compared to integrating AA and US.
Some hubs will have to be drawn down and some be turned into focus cities. Many jobs lost,not saved. A lot can happen in the next few months,we wait and see how all of this will play out.

Agreed.... now that you mention that labor is always behind every BS tale from Parker, I wonder how upper and lower management feel about this. I would think that any employee at the PHX headquarters would be opposed to a merger unless they really are drinking KOOLaid. For such an employee to support this merger is to commit professional suicide.

You know that the only ones to truly benefit from a merger with AA are DP and SK. Everyone else, even high ranking execs, are expendable, and will have to compete for survival in this merger proposal.

No real urgency..

US is like a King Cobra trying to swallow it's last meal whole, while watching its next meal bleed.

It's worried only that it's next meal will die before it can be swallowed alive.

This is the key statement for many of us:
"American is in bankruptcy and we need to respect the bankruptcy process, so we are doing just that," Parker said.

AA waited to file and did so when most of the rest of the industry was relatively stable. There are risks to AA by waiting but they are managing the process as well as can be expected.

All 3 other network carriers emerged from BK on their own terms; BK laws give AMR and its creditors (which includes the employees), the chance to choose the outcome that is best for their interests.
Other network carriers that restructured in BK had the same benefit; AMR and its employees should as well.

I guess you're all new to this. This is Parker's way of calling an end to this years merger-wolf. But never fear, because the never say die crowd are convinced that a merger with AA is still in the works. Yes, US will continue to sing the merger Kumbaya. It's sad really.

Reactions: 2 people
This is the key statement for many of us:

AA waited to file and did so when most of the rest of the industry was relatively stable. There are risks to AA by waiting but they are managing the process as well as can be expected.

All 3 other network carriers emerged from BK on their own terms; BK laws give AMR and its creditors (which includes the employees), the chance to choose the outcome that is best for their interests.
Other network carriers that restructured in BK had the same benefit; AMR and its employees should as well.

Yea, right, no sense of urgency alright, "respect the BK process", they should know, they were in the "bk process twice".
U was probably warned of legal action if they continue to interfer, specifically giving "term sheets" to AA :shock: labor. There was no respect in that, especially to the U employees who have been negotiating for years for a new contract.

I guess you're all new to this. This is Parker's way of calling an end to this years merger-wolf. But never fear, because the never say die crowd are convinced that a merger with AA is still in the works. Yes, US will continue to sing the merger Kumbaya. It's sad really.
How Sadly mistaken you are . Our merger efforts are far fom over . But if it helps you sleep at night .. What ever floats your boat .

Reactions: 2 people
How Sadly mistaken you are . Our merger efforts are far fom over . But if it helps you sleep at night .. What ever floats your boat .

I find it laughable that you only focus on my opinions. Whatever gets you through the night. I must have really hit a nerve.

Reactions: 3 people