'Duck Dynasty' Dad Suspended Following Anti-Gay Remarks

xUT

Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
SanFranFreako, KommieFornia
UPDATE: On Wednesday afternoon, A&E, the cable network which airs "Duck Dynasty," suspended Phil Robertson indefinitely from filming, issuing the following statement: "We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series 'Duck Dynasty.' His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."

GLAAD issued the following statement in response to A&E's decision, attributed to GLAAD spokesperson Wilson Cruz: "What’s clear is that such hateful anti-gay comments are unacceptable to fans, viewers, and networks alike. By taking quick action and removing Robertson from future filming, A&E has sent a strong message that discrimination is neither a Christian nor an American value."

Sieg Heil!

Conform or you will be terminated.

Reactions: 7 people
I guess the first amendment only applies if you say what the other side want to hear.     Unless you are the other side,  then you get to say whatever you want.

Double standard.

I don't think this has anything to do with the first amendment, and everything to do with money and advertising.

A & E has many more shows other than that one.

He is free to say whatever he wants. He should have considered what his network would think.

It won't hurt the shows following. I know I will continue to watch it. I agree with what he said regarding the vagina and anus thing. If he had have stopped there he may have been ok.

Reactions: 2 people
xUT said:

Sieg Heil!

Conform or you will be terminated.

He had a contract.  If he violated the contract by saying things that A&E found inappropriate then he pays the consequences.  American Airlines had similar wording in their employee guide book.  If there is enough out cry against A&E then they will probably let it drop.  If there is no or minimal out cry then he will not return.  

What do you have against private business?

Keroseneuser said:
I guess the first amendment only applies if you say what the other side want to hear.     Unless you are the other side,  then you get to say whatever you want.

Double standard.

First amendment?  This has nothing to do with his constitutional rights.  The government did not step in and say he could not say anything, it was A&E.  None if his rights were violated in any way shape or form.

Reactions: 3 people
He didn't say those things on the show -- he said them in a print interview.

That said, while A&E *is* free to take action as they see fit, it's misguided. They, too, will suffer backlash.

Without Phil, there will be no show, because the rest of the family will choose blood over money. And they clearly don't need A&E as much as A&E needs them. A&E can run re-runs, but they can't eliminate Phil from the re-runs without a lot of expense and hassle. It's a bit hypocritical to "suspend him from the show" while continuing to run the series with him in it.

Other networks are supposedly already waiting to pick up the show -- A&E owns the distribution rights, but it looks like Gurney Productions owns the name. Hard to say without knowing the contracts.

Reactions: 4 people
Meanwhile, Robertson released a statement early Wednesday: "I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior, he said. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

He continued: However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal called it a messed up situation early Thursday: "Phil Robertson and his family are great citizens of the State of Louisiana. The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with, said Jindal in a statement released by his office. I don't agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV. In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views. In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended.

Bravo, Bobby

applause.gif

Ms Tree said:

He had a contract.  If he violated the contract by saying things that A&E found inappropriate then he pays the consequences.  American Airlines had similar wording in their employee guide book.  If there is enough out cry against A&E then they will probably let it drop.  If there is no or minimal out cry then he will not return.  

What do you have against private business?

First amendment?  This has nothing to do with his constitutional rights.  The government did not step in and say he could not say anything, it was A&E.  None if his rights were violated in any way shape or form.
Wrong again! Only reason A&E suspended Phil Robertson is GLADD got their panties in a wad.........literally..........immediately after Mr. Robertson's comments! So as not to "OFFEND" a small portion of their audience and use the "Politically Correct" mentality that is infecting America on a daily basis, A&E laid him off !

"Within minutes of GQ revealing Robertson's quotes (which will appear in the January issue), GLAAD issued a fiery response — and the gay-rights organization is none too pleased."
http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-duck-dynasty--star-s-anti-gay-remarks-spark-outrage-134231650.html

Again, the left can slander any and all and it's cool but, let a religious person voice "THEIR" opinion and there will hell to pay!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will boycott A&E, until Mr. Robertson returns to work!

southwind said:
Wrong again! Only reason A&E suspended Phil Robertson is GLADD got their panties in a wad.........literally..........immediately after Mr. Robertson's comments! So as not to "OFFEND" a small portion of their audience and use the "Politically Correct" mentality that is infecting America on a daily basis, A&E laid him off !

"Within minutes of GQ revealing Robertson's quotes (which will appear in the January issue), GLAAD issued a fiery response — and the gay-rights organization is none too pleased."
http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-duck-dynasty--star-s-anti-gay-remarks-spark-outrage-134231650.html

Again, the left can slander any and all and it's cool but, let a religious person voice "THEIR" opinion and there will hell to pay!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will boycott A&E, until Mr. Robertson returns to work!

Source?  BTW, that means a source verifying that A&E suspended him due to GLAAD.

Were any other groups/individuals upset at the comments?  A&E is a business.  I bet they make decisions based on what will make them the most money.  If GLAAD is in the minority then it is doubtful that their POV carried much weight.  If it's in the majority then .....  What do you have against business? 

We have come a long way since the Scopes Monkey trial.  Not that your theory about the war on Christians has much validity but how's it feel to be on the receiving end for a change?

I boycot quite a few places that operate contrary to my views.  It is your right to do so.  Should enough people agree with you then A&E will revisit their decison if finances out weigh their contractual obligations.

Reactions: 1 person
snapthis said:
Meanwhile, Robertson released a statement early Wednesday: "I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior, he said. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

He continued: However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal called it a messed up situation early Thursday: "Phil Robertson and his family are great citizens of the State of Louisiana. The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with, said Jindal in a statement released by his office. I don't agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV. In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views. In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended.

Bravo, Bobby

applause.gif
I love how he says he 'loves all of humanity' yet is willing to deprive people he loves of equal rights guaranteed by the COTUS.  Reminds me of people from the south who say 'bless their heart' right before they rip someone a new one.

Then there is this little gem

Phil On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana
“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

GQ Interview

Tree,      Now just how is he depriving anybody of their equal right???     WTF are you talking about,  he said he did not approve of gays,   now how is that depriving them of their equal right?   He is saying the SAME thing you are from the other side.  Does that mean you are depriving people of their COTUS rights of free speech?  

He has the right to free speech and so do you,  IF it is in a contract with A&E that he cannot say anything like that then they can suspend him. 

I am exercising my 1st amendment rights here by saying you are a hypocritical idiot.     Nope did not deprive you of a single right.   You  time and time again want everybody to be 100% tolerant of anything that you support but the first time somebody suggests that something you support is a sin, or morally distasteful (which is a personal opinion)  you want to blame them of violating somebodys rights.

Hypocritical dirtbag.

Reactions: 6 people
Keroseneuser said:
Tree,      Now just how is he depriving anybody of their equal right???     WTF are you talking about,  he said he did not approve of gays,   now how is that depriving them of their equal right?   He is saying the SAME thing you are from the other side.  Does that mean you are depriving people of their COTUS rights of free speech?  

He has the right to free speech and so do you,  IF it is in a contract with A&E that he cannot say anything like that then they can suspend him. 

I am exercising my 1st amendment rights here by saying you are a hypocritical idiot.     Nope did not deprive you of a single right.   You  time and time again want everybody to be 100% tolerant of anything that you support but the first time somebody suggests that something you support is a sin, or morally distasteful (which is a personal opinion)  you want to blame them of violating somebodys rights.

Hypocritical dirtbag.
applause.gif

Keroseneuser said:

Hypocritical dirtbag.
You think he votes for people who support equal rights for gays?

I would be surprised if there were not some sort of morality clause in his contract.

No idea what you are ranting about.  How am I being hypocritical?

I love how he says he 'loves all of humanity' yet is willing to deprive people he loves of equal rights guaranteed by the COTUS.  Reminds me of people from the south who say 'bless their heart' right before they rip someone a new one.
If you knew anything more than your liberal anti-Christian ideology, you would understand that Phil's comments were in reference to his moral Christian beliefs (a term lost on you)! Show me one example where he "deprived" anybody of anything, just one! He has the same COTUS confirmed rights to express himself as you do, stop making sh!t up!

Bless Your Little Heart

Reactions: 4 people
Tree....so now you are saying that he violating somebodys rights by voting?

What kind of screwed up world are you living in?     So in your whackjob world only those people that agree with you are allowed to vote or express their opinion?   Or is it that you will allow them to vote, but only if they vote the way you want them to?

Hypocrite