Dues Of Amfa And Twu,

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Dues of Amfa and TWU, who offers more bang for the buck?

TWU Finances Article XVII

SECTION 1. (a) Effective January 1, 1978, the minimum monthly dues for
membership in the Transport Workers Union shall be two times the hourly wage rate on the first day of the dues month, or $10.50, whichever is greater. For members on a monthly pay base, the hourly wage rate shall be arrived at by dividing the monthly pay by 173.3. (B) The hourly wage rate and the monthly pay shall include cost-of-living allowances and
longevity pay, but shall exclude overtime and shift differentials.
© No member shall be required by the provisions of paragraph (a) above to pay a
monthly dues rate during any one calendar year more than Four Dollars above his/her monthly dues date in effect on December 31, of the previous year, except to the extent that the increase above Four Dollars results from promotional, or longevity increases, or from a step-up in a wage scale.

SECTION 3. Effective January 1, 1982, the per capita tax payable for each calendar month, by each Local to the International Union shall be thirty (30%) percent of the total of dues and agency shop fees received by the Local in each such month, and shall be forwarded to the International Secretary-Treasurer on or before the tenth (10th) day of the following month
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMFA FINANCES ARTICLE VI NATIONAL FINANCES Section 3

A per capita tax on all active members shall be due to the National Treasury before the tenth (10th) of each month. The amount of per capita tax shall be two times the base hourly wage of all 15 active members. National shall retain 40% of dues collected from all active members and 60% shall be retained by the Locals as Local dues. In Locals where active membership is members, such Locals will retain 66 2/3% as Local dues. During the times of negotiations commencing at the acceptance of proposals, or after and ending at the date of signing, any Local may choose to institute an assessment up to 0.5 (50%) the base hourly rate per month of the 20 affected members in negotiations. Locals shall retain 60% of an initiation fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00) and 40% shall be retained by National. The Locals shall retain 60% of a reinstatement fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) and 40% shall be retained by National. The dues of inactive members shall be retained by the Locals. All initiation fees are hereby waived for all newly organized members who join AMFA.

Amfa dues are higher and offer less for their service. Their goal is to divert funds to sub-contractors and organizing. Which does little for the members. The TWU spends more on the political agendas and distributes funds through out for all for negotiations.

Go to each website and you will be able to see who offers more for your buck.

membership in the Transport Workers Union shall be two times the hourly wage rate on the first day of the dues month, or $10.50, whichever is greater. For members on a monthly pay base, the hourly wage rate shall be arrived at by dividing the monthly pay by 173.3. ( The hourly wage rate and the monthly pay shall include cost-of-living allowances and
monthly dues rate during any one calendar year more than Four Dollars above his/her monthly dues date in effect on December 31, of the previous year, except to the extent that the increase above Four Dollars results from promotional, or longevity increases, or from a step-up in a wage scale.

SECTION 3. Effective January 1, 1982, the per capita tax payable for each calendar month, by each Local to the International Union shall be thirty (30%) percent of the total of dues and agency shop fees received by the Local in each such month, and shall be forwarded to the International Secretary-Treasurer on or before the tenth (10th) day of the following month
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A per capita tax on all active members shall be due to the National Treasury before the tenth (10th) of each month. The amount of per capita tax shall be two times the base hourly wage of all 15 active members. National shall retain 40% of dues collected from all active members and 60% shall be retained by the Locals as Local dues. In Locals where active membership is members, such Locals will retain 66 2/3% as Local dues. During the times of negotiations commencing at the acceptance of proposals, or after and ending at the date of signing, any Local may choose to institute an assessment up to 0.5 (50%) the base hourly rate per month of the 20 affected members in negotiations. Locals shall retain 60% of an initiation fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00) and 40% shall be retained by National. The Locals shall retain 60% of a reinstatement fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) and 40% shall be retained by National. The dues of inactive members shall be retained by the Locals. All initiation fees are hereby waived for all newly organized members who join AMFA.

Amfa dues are higher and offer less for their service. Their goal is to divert funds to sub-contractors and organizing. Which does little for the members. The TWU spends more on the political agendas and distributes funds through out for all for negotiations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CIO, I see that you remain an idiot. AMFA charges more and gives less? Is that your spin? The twu charges less and gives you more? You are right about the twu. They might charge less but they certainly give me more! They gave me more concessions than AMFA could ever do!
Something else the twu gives us more of. They give us more self serving cowards. Like yourself.
I would gladly pay more to an organization that believes in Knowledge, Skill, Integrity than one that always chants, "They can do that Brother". Or, the ever popular, "The best is yet to come."

Checking it Out said:

membership in the Transport Workers Union shall be two times the hourly wage rate on the first day of the dues month, or $10.50, whichever is greater. For members on a monthly pay base, the hourly wage rate shall be arrived at by dividing the monthly pay by 173.3. (B) The hourly wage rate and the monthly pay shall include cost-of-living allowances and

The 40% that goes to the National would be confined for use towards mechanics issues in the Aviation Industry.

The 30% that we pay to the International gets used for rent on Sonnys posh offices-$9 per member, buy Cars -$3.45 per member and are sent to support super small locals in various other non aviation industries. How much of that 30% that we pay goes towards our issues?

The ATD does not even have a budget!

They have to beg Sonny for funds to do anything. The only time we see the International spending money on the ATD is when they are spending 60 cents to mail something that should have been sent non-profit bulk mail at around 11 cents telling us to accept concessions and what a great job the did slashing our pay and benefits or trying to sell us coverage for some benefit that they negotiated away (Long & Short Term Disability).

40% for our issues or 30% for everyone elses issues- where would you rather have your money go?

While more money may in theory go to the Locals the International can dictate where and where not the local can spend their funds. For instance the International has decreed that our local cannot pay Chuck Schalk or I for any union business or allow us to perform any functions in the local. The Presidents council regularly rules that all Locals must contibute funds for a gift to out-going local Presidents. Plus the International can remove officers as it pleases from the Locals.

Either way its still 2 hours pay, except under AMFA you will probably pay more in dues because your wage would likely be higher. To me thats a good trade off.

I just want to clarify that the same amount comes from pay checks regardless of which union represents us. People ask me all the time; "I hear our dues will go up with AMFA?". The lies are deep here in TUL but, the truth is the TWU and AMFA dues are the same total amounts. Well except there will be no harassing the membership for COPE with AMFA.

I am curious why CIO that you did not use bold print for the entire following sentence?

During the times of negotiations commencing at the acceptance of proposals, or after and ending at the date of signing, any Local may choose to institute an assessment up to 0.5 (50%) the base hourly rate per month of the 20 affected members in negotiations.

It wouldn't be that you are trying to say the membership can be assessed .5 (50%) anytime, would you? Nope, you would never try to lie and deceive the membership would you!!! :down: :down: :down:

Given:
The per capita for the TWU is 30% of the gross dues and the AMFA per capita is 40% of gross dues.

Question:
1) What percentage of the total population of Union Membership are the Maintenenance & Related at the TWU versus AMFA?

2) As a Member of the TWU-ATD, what percentage are we as opposed to the entire TWU?

Bottom line:
1) At AMFA 100% of the effort derived from your Union Dues is directed towards issues relevant to the wages, hours and working conditions of those in the Maintenance & Related contract.

2) With the TWU, the entire Air Transport Division within the TWU is at best 54-55%. Within the ATD, the entire Maintenance & Related Contract groups are at best 45% of the ATD.

When AMFA sends a message for the Maintenance & Related, it is 100% for that group.

When the TWU sends any message, the best they can muster is 45% of 55% of the whole: 24.75%.

Can Your Professional Future depend on a message that only gets through 1 out of every four times it is sent?

I think the calculation would be:

TWU Dues = 17.5% Paycut without further ratification

AMFA Dues = better pay/better benefits/more democracy

Checking it Out said:

Lets see. I've been represented by the TWU since 1985 and I'm making $30/hr.
NWA AMTs working there since 1985 are making roughly $35/hr.

In 18 years I have paid the TWU roughly $10,500.00.
In the 4 years that my counterpart at NWA has been represented by AMFA he/she has paid $3640.00

Not to mention that my counterpart at NWA pays NOTHING for basic medical coverage. NOTHING!

This year I will pay $175.00 per month for basic medical & dental for me and my family.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. My couterpart at NWA gets 10 paid holidays a year. I get 5. :down:

He/she also gets 5 weeks paid vacation. I get 4. :angry:

So who DELIVERS MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK?

AMFA!

RV4 said:
I think the calculation would be:

TWU Dues = 17.5% Paycut without further ratification

AMFA Dues = better pay/better benefits/more democracy
Unless your overhaul base gets closed without a comment from Delle. Or did he mention that they can do that?

But the reputation of the profession has been upheld.

Or maybe you are looking for excuses if the TWU Overhaul is farmed out to Singapore in San Antonio, for $50 an hour?

According to the TWU faithfull, AMFA allows overhaul work to be farmed out...

At NWA, the IAM ratified a Letter Of Agreement without Membership Ratification of a deal which prevented layoffs during outsourcing but ONLY for a specified duration.

After the drop-dead date, all overhaul could have been outsourced with layoffs having no limitation AND NWA Maintenance & Related Members would have had no recourse.

At UAL, the IAM agreed to the closure of 2 of their three overhaul bases BEFORE AMFA had even been voted in.

What Union was on the property of Continental when they were owned by Texas Air- a Lorenzo outfit? Could it be the IAM?

What Union represented the Eastern Maintenance & Related? Could it be the IAM?

What Union represented the Pan AM Maintenance & Related? Could it be the TWU?

Where was the strength of an AFL-CIO Affiliation?

Who represented the Maintenance & Related at TWA? Could it be the IAM?

Where was the strength of an AFL-CIO Affiliation?

Ask the questions around who, what, when, where and why. Then decide for yourselves.