Amfa National Director Agrees

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Amfa National Director agrees with Industrial Unions! Wants to change constitution to reflect same concept!

One of the items, Amfa organizers have been preaching is democracy and members get to vote on everything! It’s been a known fact there has been many cases where the members have been attempting control of their own destiny only to be silenced. Example; Read

Constitutional proposals that come back from a convention for ratification by the membership cannot be altered or changed by the local(s) once the delegates have approved the constitutional changes.

The most obvious was during the last convention Read. And most recent has been local 37 Read. Well Delle-Femine national director of Amfa is proposing a change at the next convention to be more like the unions that he’s been running from for 42 years. The structure he’s proposing follows the same concept as the industrial unions! If the Amfa national director believes we have been doing things right, then why change representation?

Amfa restructure, Read

Due to our meteoric growth, the AMFA must amend its present Constitution to meet the changes and challenges of the 21st century within the airline industry. The AMFA has outgrown the era that allowed the Association to be 'run by committee.' The National Director must be the individual held responsible for decisions and actions, rather than the entire National Executive Council, and I propose that the National Director take a more direct leadership role in the operation of the Association. We cannot wait another four years to implement these changes. Improvements must be accomplished at the National Constitution Convention, which convenes May 3, 2004. The current Constitution was adopted in the 1960s, and restructuring improvements must be implemented in the 2004 Constitution. I have assembled those changes that I believe are necessary on the pages of this web site

From Amfa constitution, Read

NATIONAL DIRECTOR – shall supervise and oversee the general management and affairs of the Association and shall organize or employ an administrative force, subject to the approval of the National 5 Executive Council, to assist the National Executive Council in conducting the administrative duties of the Association. He shall preside over the daily operations of the Association, shall decide questions of order, shall enforce the Constitution, shall prepare a budget for the National Association, and upon approval of the National Executive Council, shall execute such budget. The National Director may assist Locals in organizing, shall grant charters, and preside over the approval of Local Bylaws and the 10 assigning of new Locals to the region in which they can be best represented. The National Director, with National Executive Council approval, may alter the division lines for the regions on the “Map of USAâ€￾ to better serve the needs of the membership. The National Director may, with a sixty percent (60%) majority vote by referendum of total members eligible to vote, approve an affiliation that will be in the best interest of the members of the Association. The National Director shall sign with the National 15 Treasurer all deeds, mortgages, bonds, contracts, or other instruments that the Executive Council has authorized to be executed. He shall also countersign all orders for the payment of money and for the withdrawal of money on deposit in the name of the National Association.

Powers and Duties of the International President (TWU) Read

SECTION 1. The International President shall be the chief Executive Officer of the International Union. He/she shall enforce the Constitution and be responsible for the proper and effective direction of the affairs and business of the International Union and shall have the full power necessary therefore subject to review by the International Executive Council. He/she shall interpret the meaning and application of the provisions of this Constitution. Any such interpretation or application may be appealed by any member or by any Local Union adversely affected to the International Executive Council, and thereafter, to the Convention. Unless and until any such interpretation or application of this Constitution, heretofore or hereafter made by the International President, is changed by the Council or by the Convention, the interpretation and application made by him/her shall be deemed true and proper and shall be given full force and effect. He/she shall have the authority to appoint, direct, suspend or remove such organizers and representatives, as he/she may deem necessary, and fix their compensation, subject to review by the International Executive Council.

Educate yourself; the clear choice will be the TWU!

Oh yeah,

When was the last time there was restructuring of the TWU Constitution due to rapid growth and the membership was given a direct election ballot to vote on the changes?

You are really stretching to compare an AMFA proposal in intial stages to the TWU Industrial Union Dictators. But hey, that is what we have come to expect from you folks lateley.

Looking forward to printing this one out and getting a few more cards signed next week. Thanks for help.

right!

March 31, 2003

James C. Little

Administrative Vice President, Air Transport Division

Transport Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO

1791 Hurstview Dr.

Hurst, Texas 76054

Re: Summary of the 2003 Contract changes

This will confirm our understanding reached during the negotiations leading up to the agreement signed on (DOS), 2003. During these negotiations, we discussed many changes intended to achieve sustained long-term financial relief from the current provisions of the TWU labor agreements. This letter is intended to recap the majority of the agreed upon changes. Changes are listed by Title groups: I (Mechanics and Related), II (Facilities, Automotive, Cabin Cleaners, Utility and Building Cleaners), III (Fleet Service), IV (Fuelers), V (Stock Clerks), T/S (Technical Specials), Disp (Dispatch), Metro (Meteorologists), Sim Techs (Simulator Technicians) and Instrs (Ground School and Pilot Instructors).

Pay Related

Effective May 1, 2003:

§ Base wage pay reduction, varying percentages (all groups)

§ Elimination of all longevity pay(I & II)

§ Modified longevity pay, start after 17 years, current rates (III, IV, V,T/S)

§ Reduced Sim Tech Coordinator premium by $.75/hour

§ Reduced Sim Tech Skill pay to $.10/hour

§ Reduced Pilot Simulator Instructors premium to $10.00/month

§ Reduced Ground School/Pilot Simulator Instructors standardization coordinator pay to $150.00/month

§ Reduced Pilot/Simulator Instructors work unit experience premium

§ Modified shift differential to $.01, $.02, $.03 (I, II, III, V, T/S, Sim Techs)

§ Elimination of weekend differential (I, II, V, at AFW, TUL, MCI)

§ Elimination of midnight skill retention premium (Sim Techs)

§ Training pay at straight time for off shift and day off (I, II)

§ Elimination of penalty lunch payment (I, II, III, IV, V)

§ Elimination of OT meal allowance (I, II, III, IV, V, T/S)

§ Penalty hours pay for actual time worked @ 1.5x (I, II, III, IV, V, T/S)

§ Reduce OT rate from 2x to 1.5x (I, II, III, IV, V)

§ Work 40 hrs to reach OT rate for day off overtime (III, V)

§ Elimination of debrief pay (T/S)

§ Elimination of Stock Clerk driver premium

§ Elimination of AMT premiums when displacing OSM employee

§ Elimination of Early Call-In guarantees (I, II, III, IV)

§ Elimination of short turn penalty due to shift bids (Art 21 d) (III, IV)

§ Elimination of CC premium when not working as CC (III,V)

Work Rules/ Other changes and effective dates:

Effective April 15, 2003:

§ Combine Systems/Structures into Generals (Title I)

§ Added 7 day labor loan provision (Bases only)

§ Increased AMT productivity through multiple work assignments/training

§ Holidays reduced from 10 to 5. The five (5) observed holidays will be: New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day (all groups)

o Holidays- 5 days with roll @ 1.5x (I, II, III, IV, V, T/S, Sim Techs)

o Holidays- 5 days (no roll) @ 1.5x (Disp, Metro, Instrs)

Effective May 1, 2003

§ Reduce annual SK accrual to 5 days @ 100% (all except I & II)

§ Reduce annual SK accrual to 5 days, 1st two at 50% (I & II)

Effective May 3, 2003

§ 4/10s at Overhaul docks/TUL, duration of agreement

Effective within sixty (60) days of ratification:

§ Outsource RON/Ultraclean (II/III)

§ One time System protection credit for headcount reductions realized from work rule changes (all groups except Metro)

Effective thirty (30) days from ratification:

§ Reduce uniform provisioning and eliminate laundering (I, II, III, IV, V)

§ Outsource stores function at HDQ (6 Stock Clerks)

§ Relocate 4 Stock Clerks at ORD/GEM to ORD/M & E hanger

Effective as soon as practicable after DOS:

§ Change work schedule to 5 on, 2 off (T/S)

§ Reduced VC accrual one week (all groups)

§ Modify Crew Chief ratios:

AMT- 1:11.5

FSC- 1:9

Fuelers- eliminated ratio

Stores- 1:12

Benefits:

§ Medical & Dental plan modifications (all groups) Effective 1/1/04

§ SLOA Benefit Coverage reduced from 24 to12 months (all groups)

Effective 5/01/03

§ Eliminate STD Plan (all groups) Effective 1/1/04

§ Discontinue subsidized medical benefits RIF’d employees (all groups)

Effective 4/15/03

§ Modify IOD to 10 days (all groups) Effective 5/01/03 with the following transition:

o If the injury was incurred prior to 4/15/03, remaining applicable salary continuation through the end of the month up to the current 80 days

o If the injury is incurred on 4/15/03 or before 4/30/03, salary continuation for 10 days up to the current 80 days

o If the injury is incurred after 5/01/03, salary continuation for 10 days

Sincerely,

James B. Weel

Managing Director

Employee Relations

Agreed to this date:

James C Little

Transport Workers Union, AFL-CIO

twuer said:
It seems that amfa has been changing their tune here lately. HMMMMMM?
Thats right change will come.

The ability to change in order to meet the needs of the members is an important quality for a representaional organization to have.

And if we dont like it, when the ballott comes we vote them out.

Have members of the TWU ever recieved a Ballot for the International President of the TWU? As a matter of fact has anyone, even a delegate ever recieved a ballott for the TWU International President or any other International officer?

Or are the votes done on camera so they can go after all those who oppose them? What ever happened to all those hours of film at the Convention?

It could also be argued that AMFA's changes are making it more like ALPA. Is ALPA an Industrial union?

I believe that we should have a powerful President with a large degree of decision making ability, as long as the members get transparancy and accountabilty. We have neither with the TWU.

If my suspicions are true, that Jim Little, Bobby Gless and other TWU officials were recieving paychecks from American Airlines, paychecks that would most certainly have ceased in bankruptcy since they were not even contractual, and that as a result we gave back concessions that even Jim Little said were "more than adequate", the fact that we have no internal way of holding them accountable is utterly unacceptable. It is the TWU Constitution that makes such a situation possible, I see no changes in the AMFA Constitution that would lead to such a situation.

The Concept of “Craft or Classâ€￾

This is Federal Legal concept “Craft or Classâ€￾

In accordance with the Railway Labor Act, the Federal Government has decided that certain work groups have a mutuality of interest at the bargaining table and in advancing worker related issues, and that groups outside of that particular craft or class should have no participation in how the union is run or at least in the initial decision as to who represents that work group. And so Pilots vote with Pilots, and Flight Attendants as matter of law are prohibited from voting with the Pilots. And in turn, the Pilots are prohibited by law from voting with the Flight Attendants because they are considered to be in different Craft or Classes by the National Mediation Board. And Mechanic and Related Workers within the Airline Industry are entitled by law to vote just amongst themselves.

Supporters of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) believe that it comprises our mission to remain associated within a union structure with other crafts or classes that according to Federal Government do NOT share our mutuality of interest. The mission is further compromised when we remain associated with other crafts or classes within the union structure of “majority ruleâ€￾ and our particular craft or class is the minority in size. The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) is the only union in this current debate at American Airlines that says “We will forbid ourselvesâ€￾, it will be unconstitutional for us to go and represent baggage handlers, flight attendants, or passenger service clerks, and we will not let ourselves do that because this would compromise our mission. We wish the baggage handlers and other crafts or classes on the property the very best, but they cannot pick our pockets, we wish them to get the very best on their own, but they should no longer be allowed to ride on our backs. In other words, it is time for the airline industry to decouple the mechanic vs. baggage handler pay and benefit structure. It is suffice to say that since deregulation of the airline industry which since enactment has created enormous competition and pressure on airline ticket pricing, and that has resulted in the craft or class of mechanic and related workers suffering in economic buying power, and especially when compared to the Pilots and Flight Attendants who at American belong to craft specific unions. In the mid 1970’s, the Flight Attendants of American Airlines were also represented by the Transport Workers Union of American (TWU), and just as the mechanics today seek a change to a craft specific union, they also left the TWU in favor of the independent Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) The craft or class of Mechanic and Related at American Airlines can no longer afford to remain in an organization that advocates a linking of different work groups that according to law do not share a mutuality of interest.

Regardless of good or bad economic times, and regardless of whether the union is negotiating concessions to prevent a bankruptcy filing or negotiating from economic growth with corporate profits, the formula by which the economic pie is divided amongst the union membership is a union decision. The recent concessions are a clear case in point, because American Airlines was demanding $620 Million in concessions from the TWU, but how those give backs were divided up was a union decision, not a company decision. And the facts are clear, that the craft or class of Mechanic and Related at American took more than our fair share of that amount, and it is also clear this was a union decision.

AMFA IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR SKILLED TECHNICIANS

I can't figure informer posting about class and craft? He has repeated in the past and as recent as a few days he and Amfa want to pick and choose who they want to represent! If a Member has to go to court to ask to be represented in Negotiations this speaks for itself!

Informer(Dave) Believes MCI and other's should cease to be employed! The track record speaks for itself!

Become informed and the wise choice will be the TWU!

Checking it Out said:
I can't figure informer posting about class and craft? He has repeated in the past and as recent as a few days he and Amfa want to pick and choose who they want to represent! If a Member has to go to court to ask to be represented in Negotiations this speaks for itself!

Informer(Dave) Believes MCI and other's should cease to be employed! The track record speaks for itself!

Become informed and the wise choice will be the TWU!
March 31, 2003

James C. Little

1791 Hurstview Dr.

Hurst, Texas 76054

This will confirm our understanding reached during the negotiations leading up to the agreement signed on (DOS), 2003. During these negotiations, we discussed many changes intended to achieve sustained long-term financial relief from the current provisions of the TWU labor agreements. This letter is intended to recap the majority of the agreed upon changes. Changes are listed by Title groups: I (Mechanics and Related), II (Facilities, Automotive, Cabin Cleaners, Utility and Building Cleaners), III (Fleet Service), IV (Fuelers), V (Stock Clerks), T/S (Technical Specials), Disp (Dispatch), Metro (Meteorologists), Sim Techs (Simulator Technicians) and Instrs (Ground School and Pilot Instructors).

Pay Related

Effective May 1, 2003:

§ Reduced Ground School/Pilot Simulator Instructors standardization coordinator pay to $150.00/month

§ Modified shift differential to $.01, $.02, $.03 (I, II, III, V, T/S, Sim Techs)

§ Holidays reduced from 10 to 5. The five (5) observed holidays will be: New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day (all groups)

Effective May 1, 2003

Effective May 3, 2003

§ One time System protection credit for headcount reductions realized from work rule changes (all groups except Metro)

Benefits:

Effective 5/01/03

Effective 4/15/03

§ Modify IOD to 10 days (all groups) Effective 5/01/03 with the following transition:

o If the injury was incurred prior to 4/15/03, remaining applicable salary continuation through the end of the month up to the current 80 days

o If the injury is incurred on 4/15/03 or before 4/30/03, salary continuation for 10 days up to the current 80 days

Sincerely,

James B. Weel

Managing Director

Employee Relations

Agreed to this date:

James C Little

Attached Image

Attachments

• procompany01.jpg
    procompany01.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 150
Doesn't this new found philosophy screw up the AMFA's "Local Autonomy"?

Now Delle :blink: finds common ground with his advesaries as he builds the AMFA empire.

Q. Why the variance from democracy all of a sudden. :unsure:

A. Because when he :blink: gets all the mechanics into AMFA he will not have to ask for a vote from the membizzzz anymore.

What's the verdict?

Long Term AMT said:
Doesn't this new found philosophy screw up the AMFA's "Local Autonomy"?

Now Delle :blink: finds common ground with his advesaries as he builds the AMFA empire.

Q. Why the variance from democracy all of a sudden. :unsure:

A. Because when he :blink: gets all the mechanics into AMFA he will not have to ask for a vote from the membizzzz anymore.

What's the verdict?
March 31, 2003

James C. Little

1791 Hurstview Dr.

Hurst, Texas 76054

Pay Related

Effective May 1, 2003:

Effective May 1, 2003

Effective May 3, 2003

Benefits:

Effective 5/01/03

Effective 4/15/03

Sincerely,

James B. Weel

Managing Director

Employee Relations

Agreed to this date:

James C Little

Attachments

• procompany01.jpg
    procompany01.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 174