Eagle pulling out of SJU?

<_< -------Another factor that may have added to their decision to pull out could be, the rise in fuel price due to the closure of the oil refinery, Hovensa, on St.Croix. It has supplied fuel to the whole region for the past forty years. With it's closer, SJU would have to get it's fuel from the mainland, thus adding extra cost to shipping it in.

If they are closing the refinery, it means it is not worth upgrading. At 40 years old, it needs it.

If they are closing the refinery, it means it is not worth upgrading. At 40 years old, it needs it.
<_<------- Joe, what did you pay the last time you filled up at the pump? Did you know that the big oil boys shut down a total of eighteen refinery's,world wide, last year. They say it's because of low demand. We have prices, in some states, topping $4.00@gal. Yet, the U.S. is exporting gasoline! So what is that telling you?

It tells me that O'Bummer isn't smart enough to realize that as the price of gas goes up, his chances for re-election go down...

I'm sure that somewhere, he's rewarding oil companies for shutting down refining capability so someone will be willing to buy a subsidized Leaf or Volt, since he made campaign promises to eliminate oil imports from the Middle East in 10 years, and get 1 million plug-in hybrids on the road by 2015.

He also promised to ensure that 10% of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2012, create 5 million green jobs, and implement a cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, go through the budget line by line ending programs we don't need and making the ones we do need work better and cost less, and also slash earmarks.

Then again, since there hasn't really been a budget since he took office, I guess I could give him partial credit on that one...

The lack of refining capacity is really the most serious issue facing Americans and airlines. Maybe instead of increasing taxes on regular businesses, O'Bummer can start imposing taxes on all that refined product being sent offshore...

Odd that we had gas prices at half the current rate when Bush & his friends in the oil bidness were in control....

<_<------- Joe, what did you pay the last time you filled up at the pump? Did you know that the big oil boys shut down a total of eighteen refinery's,world wide, last year. They say it's because of low demand. We have prices, in some states, topping $4.00@gal. Yet, the U.S. is exporting gasoline! So what is that telling you?
What did I pay for gasoline? Well, I paid $4.26/gal just fifteen minutes ago. You are correct that refiners are exporting fuels of all types, not just gasoline. In fact, around 40% of the product that leaves the refinery I work at goes out by barge and ship. Keep in mind though we also suppy other areas on the West Coast with specific gasoline blends for other areas like the Pacific Nortwest and other refineries that are down for maintenance. Our local consumption has dropped, so our production has to go somewhere.

The location of oil refineries has nothing - zero - to do with the decision to pull down Eagle flying at SJU.

The ATRs are being returned as they're old, somewhat expensive and apparently, not carrying enough lucrative passengers.
There is a section in the 1113 documents dedicated to AA's falling competitiveness in the Caribbean and parts of Latin America.
Carrying passengers from the US to SJU and connecting them throughout the Caribbean on low cost carrier competitive fares using expensive aircraft sounds is the explanation AA is using.

Eagle pulling out of SJU is a good move. The landscape has totally changed in the Carribean. Just look at what it was like for AA in SJU back in the late 80's? SJU was a major hub and we had major expansion in the carribean.

Times have changed and latin american carriers have expanded and taken market share. You are seeing more point to point sectors as these carriers grow their long range business with supplemental feed from their regionals.

Latest posts