Educating the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
www.amtausa.com
The State of Texas is currently in the process of reviewing the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for Social Studies for the Texas public school curriculum. As the Director of the AMTA I have written to the State Board of Education TEKS Review Committee asking them to consider placing Charles E. Taylor's contributions to American history in the curriculum for High School students. (See below.)

This request process is all done on-line and I would like to ask all those reading this post to lend their support. The e-mail to send your point of view and support is [email protected]. Please make sure that when you send an e-mail that you write in the SUBJECT line of the e-mail "High School US History Committee". You may copy and paste my request below and include it in yours if you would like.

November will be the next meeting of the State Board of Education Review Committee when they will have their next DRAFT Proposed Revisions which will be available on-line. People do not need to be licensed AMTs to ask for Charlie's place in the public school system.

I thank anyone who takes a few minutes out of their day to help educate high school students of a part in United States history that has been neglected for a long time. Ken MacTiernan

==========================

Dear Committee Members,

I am writing to you today to offer my viewpoint on adding information to the Texas High School curriculum. As a FAA licensed Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic I would like to suggest that Charles E. Taylor be considered for teaching to high school students within Texas. I believe that teaching who Charles E. Taylor was would best fall under the United States History Studies Since Reconstruction because Mr. Taylor is a significant individual at a significant event in American history. Mr. Taylor also played an important part in a time period that saw America become a leader in a new industry... aviation.

Charles E. Taylor was the Wright Brother's mechanic who worked in their bicycle shop. After the Wright brothers were ready to turn their Wright Glider into a powered, controlled heavier than air machine they needed an engine to provide the necessary power. After searching and requesting from engine manufacturers of the time for potential engines they were dismayed at the engines available because none were within their guidelines. This lack of a proper engine faced the Wright brothers, and the United States of America, as not being the first to lay claim to being the first powered, controlled aircraft. In steps Charles E. Taylor.

Charles E. Taylor was asked by Orville and Wilbur Wright if he could build an engine to their specifications. Charlie's response was simply, "Yes.". Within six weeks, with tools no more technical than a shop drill press, lathe and some simple hand tools the first aircraft engine was built from a solid block of aluminum. Without Charles E. Taylor's contributions to the Wright brother's invention the United States and the Wright brothers would not have been the first in flight because there were others striving for this important achievement in mankind's history. I am not implying that the Wright brothers efforts are anything less than they are but simply there were three men who conquered the challenge of mankind flying in a powered, controlled craft. The Wright brothers always gave Charles E. Taylor the recognition he deserved up till their deaths. However, history has placed Charlie's place in history in the shadows.

As the Director for the Aircraft Maintenance Technicians Association, WWW.AMTAUSA.COM, I respectfully ask that the Texas State Board of Education TEKS Review Committee consider placing Charles E. Taylor into the United States History Studies Since Reconstruction revision. More information about Charles E. Taylor can be viewed on our web site or I may be contacted at (xxx) xxx-xxxx or (xxx) xxx-xxxx. Thank you. Sincerely, Kenneth MacTiernan Director AMTA

Ken,
Thank you for the genuinely interesting history lesson. But, all I have to say is good luck: We're talking about the state that wants to take Christmas out of the social studies book and teach creationism in schools.

Ken,
Thank you for the genuinely interesting history lesson. But, all I have to say is good luck: We're talking about the state that wants to take Christmas out of the social studies book and teach creationism in schools.

AAmilesman,

Thank you for the kind words. I hope that you can send an e-mail so high school students can also learn this interesting history lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.