Employee screening

Guys, I understand and have the same feelings. However, we have to remember that everyone has a price. I'm sure the rampers at EWR CO who were arrested last year for drug smuggling were fine, upstanding, and honest citizens until someone came along and offered them more money than they had ever seen in their lives.

Imagine that some airport employee who still has small children at home is told he/she has a terminal illness. Then someone comes along and offers him/her $1 million cash to carry a weapon or an explosive into the airport since employees are no longer screened. Do you really want your safety and our customers' safety dependent upon him/her saying no to the offer?

It's like a friend of mine says about HIV...You're only as good as your last test. And, if you were infected in the 4 months prior to the test, you might still test negative. Now, we all went through background checks after 9/11. And, I went through another one when I was recalled from furlough in Nov. 2004. As far as I know, I have not been subjected to another one. A lot can happen in 3.5 years.

Off topic abit...What I dont understand is everytime I go throught a perimeter gate that is staffed by a non-airport security guard he needs to touch my badge. They dont carry a operations provided stop list, they dont look at the badge, they tap it...WTF? If my badge were on the stop list, it would be deactivated and would alert ops when I waved it by the reader. Another thing that boggles me is when I am exiting the Tunnel Rd gate (CLT) TSA is doing a badge check, I am already on the sterile side of the field, but they need to check me while leaving the field....Last time I went through there were 5 TSA nimrods looking like they were ready to take down some terrorist..I just dont get it..

Background checks for airline & airport employees are similar in one way to the photo ID requirement for passengers: neither does anything to prevent terrorist activity. The background checks could probably help to prevent convicted felons from working for an airline, but that's about it.

A few years ago, several illegal aliens working at DFW were busted. If THEY could get around the background checks, don't you think a terrorist could do it with much greater ease?

And the scenario above is no more far-fetched as the FedEx pilot that brought hammers on board, with the intent to incapacitate the crew and crash the plane into FedEx headquarters.

Yes, it's frustrating to have to go through security when 99% of the employees have no malicious intent--but the same goes for the passengers that fly.

There will never be 100% security, but I would rather have the government concentrate on the potential for real threats (yes, there is potential for a real threat from the "inside") than wasting time on stupid things (i.e., my toothpaste or shoes or having to show an ID).

Background checks for airline & airport employees are similar in one way to the photo ID requirement for passengers: neither does anything to prevent terrorist activity. The background checks could probably help to prevent convicted felons from working for an airline, but that's about it.

A few years ago, several illegal aliens working at DFW were busted. If THEY could get around the background checks, don't you think a terrorist could do it with much greater ease?

And the scenario above is no more far-fetched as the FedEx pilot that brought hammers on board, with the intent to incapacitate the crew and crash the plane into FedEx headquarters.

Yes, it's frustrating to have to go through security when 99% of the employees have no malicious intent--but the same goes for the passengers that fly.

There will never be 100% security, but I would rather have the government concentrate on the potential for real threats (yes, there is potential for a real threat from the "inside") than wasting time on stupid things (i.e., my toothpaste or shoes or having to show an ID).

I couldn't agree more..What about the caterers and fuelers. Especially the caterers who know what the hell background they have. They don't pay them #### and have a high turnover and they are in constant contact with aircraft. But again the TSA is kind of like the FAA..They provide some comfort for the regular passenger but it is really in the case of the TSA it is for show. And the FAA is a REACTIVE agency not a proactive one..They are not called the tombstone agency for nothing.

As bad as it may be, count your blessings.

I had time to kill at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport pre-9/11 and they had guards frisk each baggage handler before and after they worked each flight.

By European standards, after the PanAm/Lockerbie terror attack, we are behind the security power curve.

I had a hard time maintaining a steady voice when asked why I had so many FF bag tags on my carry-on while a K-9 sniffed around me and a soldier with a machine gun stood to my side.

As bad as it may be, count your blessings.

I had time to kill at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport pre-9/11 and they had guards frisk each baggage handler before and after they worked each flight.

By European standards, after the PanAm/Lockerbie terror attack, we are behind the security power curve.

I had a hard time maintaining a steady voice when asked why I had so many FF bag tags on my carry-on while a K-9 sniffed around me and a soldier with a machine gun stood to my side.
I've been through Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport last year, walked right through to airside with the crew, tool box and all, just checked IDs, seems like they have more common sense than TSA or the BAA {UK} have.

Where do you live? TSA is already screening airport employees, or "certain" airport employees. Usually they check your 'access' badge, but if you are arriving or leaving they check your bags that you carry.

These are 'randomly expected' checks. Expect them to be there if you swipe a card or access by key a secure area.

I don't mind except that, a-hem, the TSA tends to patronize with airport employees. It often seems that they target the ones who don't want to be their friends or give them information. What employee wouldn't rat out somebody to save their own @$$?

The TSA would work and can be streamlined if employees don't become involve in the airport gossip and rumors that their friends spread. It tends to create a bit of a situation where the 'dirty laundry' of the crackerjack TSA agents comes out as much as those they target.

Years ago the TSA received a letter not to target the 'profiled' terrorist, or to ease up on the obvious. They are therefore targetting the employees since they have TOO many BLIND EYES!

If you have no clue what I am talking about...you will :eek:

Latest posts