Envoy Air to close its New York base by end of the year

Some might say it's been going by the wayside for the last 10-15 years...

Envoy (MQ) is slowly fading away, but its pilots did approve the concessionary contract that will see 40+ E175s delivered to Envoy, so it's not shutting down just yet.

Closing the NYC base probably makes sense, given that on Friday, March 20, MQ had 58 JFK departures scheduled plus 23 more at LGA. DFW had 208 MQ departures and ORD had 191, so consolidating its bases to those two hubs is probably the right call.

I would expect that one of the other Express carriers, possibly from the US side will eventually take over the NY area flying. It makes perfect sense to have each one covering a specific region. Having a common carrier covering PHL & NYC would simplify things a bit when it comes to crew and/or AC issues.

wings396 said:
I would expect that one of the other Express carriers, possibly from the US side will eventually take over the NY area flying. It makes perfect sense to have each one covering a specific region. Having a common carrier covering PHL & NYC would simplify things a bit when it comes to crew and/or AC issues.

You're probably right, but do you think (judging from the ex-Tempe Brain Trust's modus operandi) that those old Dash 8s will be able to handle the load of serving AA in the world's largest airline market?

Piedmont is getting some ERJ-145s, and PSA already has a large and growing fleet of CRJ-200s, 700s and 900s.  The LUS express carriers have more than just the aging Dash-8s.

USFlyer said:
Piedmont is getting some ERJ-145s, and PSA already has a large and growing fleet of CRJ-200s, 700s and 900s.  The LUS express carriers have more than just the aging Dash-8s.

Did I mention Piedmont?  No, but I do grant that Piedmont is the only American Eagle carrier operating them.  But, nothing says that Piedmont could not use (at the "brain trust's" decree) the Dash 8s they do operate in the way I said they would, is there?  Just because Piedmont is getting ERJ-145s (another POS airplane) doesn't meant they will operate those in the NYC market.

The only carrier operating the Dash 8s is Piedmont.  If that's not who you were referring to, then I don't follow your posts.