ERJ 170

I found out why recently. I was sitting in 1C on a recent PIT to PVD flight operated by our dear friends (prior to the secondary TSA gate inspections, I bet the TSA is screwing up their door closure and departure times with the new gate inspections.). Onboard was a new "intraining" F/A along with the check F/A and the B F/A. The check F/A informed the newbie that they like to close the door 15 minutes prior to pushback. I was shocked when I overheard this. And sure enough they closed the forward door exactly 15 minutes before scheduled departure and we were off the gate at exactly 5 mintues to scheduled departure.
And now I know why my seat was given away on another Republic operated flight when I showed up at the gate in PHL 12 mintues before scheduled departure. The G/A had the audacity to say to me...."we've been calling for you"!? I replied, my connecting flight has been circling PHL for the past 35 minutes and I had to make a mad dash just to get to this flight. She showed no concern for me. Oh well she says, we've put you on the next flight.
Along with MESA, I now avoid REPUBLIC operated flights. And it's getting harder and harder to try to stay away from them.

I would report this to consumer affairs and mention that comment you overheard from those flight attendants. I have never heard of such a thing! The earliest they are to close up and push back is ten minutes prior to departure and that is only if all passengers are on board and dispatch has given them permission. Heads would roll if you reported this I guarantee you.