Everyone still wants the same size slice of the pie. But the pie is smaller.

atabuy

Senior
Oct 13, 2002
From my point of view, it seems the biggest hurddle to everyone accepting a smaller piece of the pie is trust.
No one thinks everyone will share the reduced slice equally and I tend to agree with it.
My opinion of the airline within the airline is a farce to keep management in place.
If they were to actually take the main company, and model it after Luv or Jet blue, this would cut many of the top positions in management since the LLC''s are not top heavy like the majors. Also salaries would be drastically reduced to the levels of that type airline.
I had the opportunity to ask Jim Goodwin about this very issue some years ago, and his response was: we are not out of line with the other major carriers.
This told me 2 things. 1. They never look at themselves as the problem. 2. It will be a cold day in hell when they reduce their slice of the pie.
Therfore a low cost carrier within Ual to reduce all the other slices and keep the management pyramid in tact.
Just compare salaries between Luv and Ual. If you can find any information today.
Management is not the only culprit in this deal, but are the only ones with any control to change the deal for all concerned.
It seems like a simple solution for a problem that has been going on for way too long. If management would have taken the first step 2 years ago, we wouldn''t be in this position today.

Lot of truth in what you say. If flyer numbers (revenue) stayed the same your points are important as the UA based costs clearly must be reduced in a big way.

The other dual problem, operating at the same time is that LOTS of long tern UA elites are not flying them this year. Hence revenue will be dropping whilst they are 'thinking' about dropping costs. A pincer movement to Chapter 7. Nothing surer.

My ladyfriend and I are long term 1Ks. flew about 125,000 paid miles a year with UA in 2000/2001/2002. This time last year we both had over 50,000 paid miles up with UA.

This year. A big fat ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Why?

UA "bait and switched" their top fliers. They waited until we flew that much on (in our case) our own dime in 2002 and THEN changed all the rules and bennies of the 1K program.

Result?

About 50 other 1Ks I know from www.flyertalk.com are no longer flying UA, and are flying heavily reduced on UA. MOST have deserted to AA.

WHY? Because AA unlike UA did not mess with their top tier benefits this year.

Upgrades etc effectively cost UA nothing as they are capacity controlled. Always were. WHY choose choose this of all years to piss off your heaviest flyers is one of Management's dumbest ever moves.

What you say below is just another example of why Ual is not able to make the necessary adjustments. Why would they mess with the 10% that made up 70% of their revenue.
Seems like every move they make is putting them deeper into the quicksand of unsolvency. If that is a word.

I see little hope for Ual if it keeps going in the same direction.
Management must take the first step in restructuring themselves, or all will be hopeless.

The airline in an airline is just copycating Delta.
So much for original ideas from our high paid 40 or so vp's, pres, and ceo.
I can see why they want to pay them more so they won't jump ship and lose valuable assets.. They might take someone else's idea to another carrier.

ozstamps
What would it take to get you back to Ual.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/4/2003 4:37:58 PM ozstamps wrote:

Lot of truth in what you say. If flyer numbers (revenue) stayed the same your points are important as the UA based costs clearly must be reduced in a big way.

The other dual problem, operating at the same time is that LOTS of long tern UA elites are not flying them this year. Hence revenue will be dropping whilst they are 'thinking' about dropping costs. A pincer movement to Chapter 7. Nothing surer.

My ladyfriend and I are long term 1Ks. flew about 125,000 paid miles a year with UA in 2000/2001/2002. This time last year we both had over 50,000 paid miles up with UA.

This year. A big fat ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Why?

UA "bait and switched" their top fliers. They waited until we flew that much on (in our case) our own dime in 2002 and THEN changed all the rules and bennies of the 1K program.

Result?

About 50 other 1Ks I know from www.flyertalk.com are no longer flying UA, and are flying heavily reduced on UA. MOST have deserted to AA.

WHY? Because AA unlike UA did not mess with their top tier benefits this year.

Upgrades etc effectively cost UA nothing as they are capacity controlled. Always were. WHY choose choose this of all years to piss off your heaviest flyers is one of Management's dumbest ever moves.
----------------
[/blockquote]