Example

phillyguy

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Just checking in for a U flight at MEM, and another preferred passenger was there - not sure what he was doing, but they explained some of the restrictions on non-refundable tickets and he said no way. And I saw him walk over to the NWA counter.
The counter agents were still scratching their heads and trying to figure out how this was going to improve things.
Also front page of USA Today on U''s new policy but they seemed to put a positive spin on it - I don''t see that happening

Phlguy, I am perplexed by this whole issue. I know there is a reason behind it. What do you think? Is the real reason, that management doesn't really want to emerge from chapter 11? Any thoughts?

It honestly seems like someone actually thought that by doing this they were going to force the business travelers to purchase more unrestricted tickets. How stupid is that? And I do not understand the thinking regarding US1/2/3 and CP status. I have no idea what these people were thinking. Why would you penalize your best customers. Do they honestly think that they would force them into higher fares. If they want to fix something, re-do the entire fare structure and stop raping the business traveler. I am at a loss. [:blackeye:] [:((]

Why don't we just post a picture of "Dave" at the counter and maybe our passengers would be more at ease to know "Dave" is their friend.
Pay no attention to "Wolf" behind the curtain.

Dash8ter, Ben Baladanza and Dave Siegel are bright men. I believe your idea could cause other airlines to have serious revenue problems.

US Airways is not paying all of its bills while in court protection and can price its product to generate cash flow, while squeezing the competition. It would definately hurt every other major carrier and low cost airlines if your thought plays out.

Chip

Does anyone think that this might be the first step in many more changes to come? Markmywords stated that "if they want to fix something, re-do the entire fare structure and stop raping the business traveler." I remember at the first round of Dave's roadshows, he made numerous comments regarding the fact that business travelers won't pay $1,000 plus for a one way ticket anymore. In forcing business travelers (or Prefered passengers in US Airways' case) to buy unrestricted tickets, might we see US Airways, with a much lower cost structure, begin to reduce the price of unrestricted tickets to a much more reasonable amount, say $300 - $400 dollars on average? This would justify the moves US Airways is making now, plus put a HUGE squeeze on other major carriers with higher cost structures.

----------------
On 8/28/2002 8:20:05 PM

Dash8ter, Ben Baladanza and Dave Siegel are bright men. I believe your idea could cause other airlines to have serious revenue problems.----------------

Baldanza is not the brightest bulb in the chain. Every single yinzer in the entire Pittsburgh area knows that they can resell a Steelers ticket or broadway play ticket..... For instance.

Even _if_ US revamps the fare structure, anybody who sat thru Marketing 101 announces that change first before sticking it to most of their flying base in one form or another.

CluebyFour, it is true that the company was going to get a lot of bad press regarding this announcement, but I also think they were throwing out the bait to determine if any other majors would bite. If they did (or do...) the announcement wouldn't be quite so negative on just US Airways. Imagine if other airlines started following our lead and the entire industry looks evil. Then, out comes US Airways announcing a new pricing structure that slashed hundreds of dollars off unrestricted tickets. That would make US Airways look like the darling. This is all speculation though... we will have to wait and see what actually happens. I do know that Dave is very concerned about US Airways' current pricing structure and I do believe that he is going to change the pricing structure... and I would bet very soon!