Execs Dumping Stock

X-U

Senior
Feb 1, 2003
Us Airways Group, Inc. Reports Executive 10b5-1 Plans to Exercise Options and Sell Stock

Source: Comtex News Network (PR Newswire via Comtex)

US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE: LCC) today reported that several of the company's executive officers have previously adopted pre-arranged stock trading programs to facilitate the exercise of options and the sale of holdings in the company's stock. The company's securities trading policy permits the enactment of pre-determined plans for trades of specified amounts of company stock in accordance with Rule 10b5-1 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.

Executives previously adopting 10b5-1 plans include Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Doug Parker; Executive Vice President Sales and Marketing Scott Kirby; Executive Vice President and Chief Administration Officer Jeff McClelland; Senior Vice President, Public Affairs C.A. Howlett; Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Derek Kerr, and Senior Vice President and General Counsel Jim Walsh.

As part of their 10b5-1 plans, on June 12, Kirby, McClelland, Kerr and Walsh exercised and sold 261,112 of their combined 750,883 vested options and vested restricted stock. The officers have elected to sell their stock as part of each individual's long-term strategy for asset diversification. Sales pursuant to these plans are reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission as required by law, and those reports will be available on the company's Web site, www.usairways.com.

US Airways and America West's recent merger creates the fifth largest domestic airline employing nearly 35,000 aviation professionals. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 3,800 flights per day and serve more than 230 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. US Airways is a member of Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to 842 destinations in 152 countries worldwide. This press release and additional information on US Airways can be found at www.usairways.com. (LCCF)

FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS

Certain of the statements contained herein should be considered "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements may be identified by words such as "may," "will," "expect," "intend," "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "plan," "could," "should," and "continue" and similar terms used in connection with statements regarding the outlook of US Airways Group, Inc. (the Company), expected fuel costs, the revenue and pricing environment, and expected financial performance. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements about the benefits of the business combination transaction involving America West Holdings and US Airways Group, including future financial and operating results, the combined companies' plans, objectives, expectations and intentions and other statements that are not historical facts. Such statements are based upon the current beliefs and expectations of the Company's management and are subject to significant risks and uncertainties that could cause the Company's actual results and financial position to differ materially from these statements. Such risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the following: the ability of the Company to obtain and maintain any necessary financing for operations and other purposes (including compliance with financial covenants); the ability of the Company to maintain adequate liquidity; the impact of changes in fuel prices; the impact of economic conditions; changes in prevailing interest rates; the ability to attract and retain qualified personnel; the ability of the Company to attract and retain customers; the ability of the Company to obtain and maintain commercially reasonable terms with vendors and service providers; the cyclical nature of the airline industry; competitive practices in the industry, including significant fare restructuring activities by major airlines; labor costs; security-related and insurance costs; weather conditions; government legislation and regulation; relations with unionized employees generally and the impact and outcome of the labor negotiations; the impact of global instability including the potential impact of current and future hostilities, terrorist attacks, infectious disease outbreaks or other global events; the impact of the resolution of remaining claims in US Airways Group's Chapter 11 proceedings; the ability of the Company to fund and execute its business plan following the Chapter 11 proceedings and the merger; and other risks and uncertainties listed from time to time in the companies' reports to the SEC. There may be other factors not identified above of which the Company is not currently aware that may affect matters discussed in the forward-looking statements, and may also cause actual results to differ materially from those discussed. The Company assumes no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statement to reflect actual results, changes in assumptions or changes in other factors affecting such estimates other than as required by law. Additional factors that may affect the future results of the Company are set forth in the section entitled "Risk Factors" in the Company's Quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2006 and in the filings of the Company with the SEC, which are available at www.usairways.com. -LCC-

SOURCE US Airways Group, Inc. Phil Gee, US Airways Media Relations, +1-480-693-5729 http://www.prnewswire.com

Obviously "fairness" is the polar opposite of Capitalism.

My view is after the employees going through 3 years of harsh givebacks, bankruptcy, judge imposed emergency wage reliefs, dumped pension plans. unaffordable medical contirbutions, furloughs, downsizing...I am none pleased with the execs of U (whether they were directly or indirectly present) cashing in on anything.

DP hasn't done right by his own labor groups and with all the concessions from the East, many provisions of the West contracts SUCK without their taking concessions.

Glad I'm out and can sit on the sidelines. As I said often on this forum, I will be reminding everyone U's history whether folks want to hear it or not.

I think it is just best to put this ordeal in "hard copy". :up:

You can remind everyone of US history all you want...but just remember it's history. You can't change history. You can continue to beat down people over the past all you want, but I don't understand how you can continually bash the current management over things they originally had no control over. Furthermore, they have been at this merger for 9 months...9 months...if I need to say it again I will...9 months. A lot has been accompished. A lot of work is still needed to be done. Labor groups are in negotiations...let those work things out...when things truly turn bad for labor...then you can post your constant negative antics.

East employees gave a lot to do just what is currently happening....save the company from liquidation..you cannot expect an immediate payback. PineyBob said it very well....out economic system allows executives of all companies to exercise these options and make money. Maybe you should have been an executive.

You can remind everyone of US history all you want...but just remember it's history. You can't change history.

yeah and if you look at the company and their brief and unsuccessful stint in the history books,they haven't learned much from their past........so it would be expected for it to repeat itself all over once again. :eek:

PineyBob said it very well....out economic system allows executives of all companies to exercise these options and make money. Maybe you should have been an executive.
Maybe so. But imagine for a moment what impact an executive (who was already pulling down a pretty decent salary compared to 'the troops') would have if they declined to sell their stock and keep a little "skin in the game". According to DEF-14A filed 4/10/2006 - Mclelland was paid a salary of $404,000 and a bonus of $344,250 in 2005. Kirby was paid a salary of $395,833 and a bonus of $382,500 in 2005. Kerr was paid a salary of $275,000 and a bonus of $135,000 in 2005. That's a pretty decent living for any one of those gentlemen...it certainly allowed for a much better lifestyle than the average worker.
Obviously "fairness" is the polar opposite of Capitalism.
Indeed, it is.

Just FYI, I met a COPIER SALESMAN yesterday who earned more than Mr Kerr did last year. So you don't have to suffer through life at a certain income level. The guy works his Butt off in Manhattan and it is reflected in his W-2
I don't doubt it...one would have to work their butt off in Manhattan to earn a livable wage. My question is this - who could live easier - Kerr on $250k salary, or the ramper who works JFK for US?

Had the various workgroups proposed to take larger paycuts in exchange for more stock in the reorganized LCC, then they could be enjoying these kinds of windfalls. After two Ch 11 filings in three years, I can understand their reluctance to do so.

Guess these execs don't have a lot of confidence that LCC is headed to $100/sh anytime soon. B)

You can remind everyone of US history all you want...but just remember it's history. You can't change history. You can continue to beat down people over the past all you want, but I don't understand how you can continually bash the current management over things they originally had no control over. Furthermore, they have been at this merger for 9 months...9 months...if I need to say it again I will...9 months.

That is a point there, sparky. The current managment has only been with the new company 9 months, repeat, 9 months. Why should they have an entitlement of hundreds of thousands or millions of $$$ NOW?

Please enlighten me on your 9-month exec service to the company and justify that cash-in withouT a come-back of some "exec entitilement"... after all, you even admit that labor concessions saved the company from liquidation.
LABOR WAS ENTITLED TO THEIR PROMISED PENSIONS, BUT THAT GOT DUMPED!

Had the various workgroups proposed to take larger paycuts in exchange for more stock in the reorganized LCC, then they could be enjoying these kinds of windfalls. After two Ch 11 filings in three years, I can understand their reluctance to do so.

Guess these execs don't have a lot of confidence that LCC is headed to $100/sh anytime soon. B)

It wouldn't make much sense to go into poverty on the speculation that a company would survive and stock would go up. Management received a winfall without risk to their income or standard of living! Labor did negotiate for stock options, but the new investors would not permit what was ratified and threatened not to invest. Managment came to labor and said either we modify our new contracts and take less, or we would not emerge from BK.

The risk/reward ratio was not evenly distributed between labor and management. Management took NO RIKS and benefited and profited overwhelmingly; those managment folks who left and those who stayed.

Win-win ratio for them!

DP hasn't done right by his own labor groups and with all the concessions from the East, many provisions of the West contracts SUCK without their taking concessions.

Umm, I guess you didn't read the whole news:

"US Airways said the executives have established pre-arranged stock-trading programs and these sales were part of them.

CEO Doug Parker also has such a plan, but did not sell any stock. He has said repeatedly he has not sold a share of company stock since joining America West in 1995."

Just trying to keep the facts straight. Oh and how many employees are stock holders who have made a ton of money since the AWA stock was a little over a buck in early 2002? I personally know of a few. Should we crucify them as well for selling their stock at a profit? You made yourself marketable and moved on. Don't feel so sorry for those who haven't...sure there are unique cases, but for the most part going to school during non-work hours is non-discriminatory. Who is to blame? The airline?...the economic conditions?...Bush? When you point a finger, three are pointing back at you.

Umm, I guess you didn't read the whole news:
"US Airways said the executives have established pre-arranged stock-trading programs and these sales were part of them.
CEO Doug Parker also has such a plan, but did not sell any stock. He has said repeatedly he has not sold a share of company stock since joining America West in 1995."

Just trying to keep the facts straight. Oh and how many employees are stock holders who have made a ton of money since the AWA stock was a little over a buck in early 2002? I personally know of a few. Should we crucify them as well for selling their stock at a profit? You made yourself marketable and moved on. Don't feel so sorry for those who haven't...sure there are unique cases, but for the most part going to school during non-work hours is non-discriminatory. Who is to blame? The airline?...the economic conditions?...Bush? When you point a finger, three are pointing back at you.

How infantile. I would bet those rank employees who invested in AWA put in THEIR OWN MONEY.

I don't give a hoot about DP. This is not 1995, and the company is not AWA anymore.

Who is to blame? Answer: those senior managment who mismanaged the company and drove it to the point of two bk. Those who did not take the risks and are quick to cash in the stock that was given to them. No pain was shared by managment, my friend. I know. I blame those who made the decisions to screw the shareholders, creditors, and employees by going into bk and having NO viable business plan but to take from the employees any value to the job. And they are still on the property!

You don't like my type of posting...?

Tough $%^&!!!

PineyBob said it very well....out economic system allows executives of all companies to exercise these options and make money. Maybe you should have been an executive.

That is true of our economic system only recently. As little as 25 years ago, CEO pay avergaged about 50 times their employees. That figure is now 500 times employee compensation.

I find it interesting CEO's justify the big bucks because of the 'value' they create and the expert knowledge they have.

Funny, US management led to two BK's in 18 months. Where's the value they created? They still cashed that paycheck, though.

Expert knowledge? Wasn't Ken Lay's defense essentially "I didn't know?" He still cashed those paychecks, though.

For more on those value creating CEO's, read

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/P149928.asp

Latest posts