FA Spot

I received my recall letter (from the VFLR) and I'm considering coming back after 5 years? What is the most junior base @ this time and are reserves flying @ all (in all 3 bases)?

Would anyone recommend coming back @ this time (both the pros and cons)? When I left I was based in CLT as a reserve (commuting).

I would appreciate any good or bad feedback.

Thank you!!!!

Welcome, sameoldstuff!

I'd recommend reading back through the f/a topics of US Airways here on the airline forums for a general overview of what you are facing. Though the job itself has its advantages, living as a bottom reserve is definitely not one of them. If you are not giving up much in "real life" then maybe you'll want to return. You'll find sympathetic fellow reserves on the line.

Actually right now CLT is most junior for RSVs since displacements. Hopefully, that will change soon. But I would expect to be based in CLT for now. If/when the other bases open, its determined by seniority and there are some FAs that want to leave CLT.

RSV guarantee is 73 hours. Regarding mins.... long story. Someone else can expand upon that.

You will be on RSV for quite some time. Perhaps with our new contract things will change. We are waiting for December's Secondary Lines to come out to see how Junior that went. Last month it was 1997.

When you're on reserve days, are you often not working? - or what percentage of days are you usually not called in (approximately)? Just wanted to know for working a flexible side job - I'm sure I'll need the extra income!

When you're on reserve days, are you often not working? - or what percentage of days are you usually not called in (approximately)? Just wanted to know for working a flexible side job - I'm sure I'll need the extra income!

That depends on the month and where you are on the seniority list. "Quick calls" are made to the most junior people. That is unpredictable.
To protect the holiday flying, for instance, we have too many people on reserve this month. Just sitting around waiting....until beginning this weekend when we will probably run out of reserves. I worked with other nurses here and once they got a feel for the scheduling they were able to work it out with their employer.

That depends on the month and where you are on the seniority list. "Quick calls" are made to the most junior people. That is unpredictable.
To protect the holiday flying, for instance, we have too many people on reserve this month. Just sitting around waiting....until beginning this weekend when we will probably run out of reserves. I worked with other nurses here and once they got a feel for the scheduling they were able to work it out with their employer.

I do computer-type medical work from home which is flexible, but must do a min. of so many hrs each week with company - Just wondered if I'd have the time, or could expect to be away from home 4-5 days/week. Thanks

Even if a 31 year FA made $50.00 per flight hr. A trip to FCO (ROME) would only be $400.00 for 10 hrs each way RT ( $50.00* x 20 hrs.). Plus per diem @ $48.00 per day for 4 days would just be $192.00. So $400.00 flight pay plus $192.00 for per diem would only amount to $592.00 that is JUST A LITTLE SHORT of $1000.00, about $408.00 dollars to be exact.

*= damn I knew some US AIR FA topped out but not at $50.00

Even if a 31 year FA made $50.00 per flight hr. A trip to FCO (ROME) would only be $400.00 for 10 hrs each way RT ( $50.00* x 20 hrs.). Plus per diem @ $48.00 per day for 4 days would just be $192.00. So $400.00 flight pay plus $192.00 for per diem would only amount to $592.00 that is JUST A LITTLE SHORT of $1000.00, about $408.00 dollars to be exact.

Um ...

$50.00 X 20 is $1,000 not $400.00.

You also get International Per Diem, which is higher, International Premium Pay, What I am saying is as a new Hire, making a thousand dollars for a 4 day trip (no matter where you are going) is not going to happen.

As mentioned above somewhere. Busy months/times tend to be April-August and the end/first of the month. This month I have worked 1 3-day and 1 2-day. Next week with the Holiday and end of month trips, I am sure to get more time in, BUT will not break guarantee.

Also, once the winter weather really kicks in in the East, we will fly more.

As most Junior in the system, expect to be quick-called more often than not. If one works from home with Medical billing, perhaps if you get called you can bring a laptop with you and work from your hotel room on the road.

OBVIOUSLY seems 'a little challenged' :rolleyes: when it comes to simple math. Let's hope this person is never responsible for inventory in the HHD or the ENTIRE CREW would be subjected to a Round of Intense Questions from Corporate Security. One plus One equals T-W-O. Always has, always will.

Ok let's put this one to rest:

FCO 18+40 hrs X 39.90= 744.48 (flight time times top out hourly rate)
18+40 hrs X 3.00 = 56.00 (flight time times International override)
47+35 hrs X 2.10 = 92.56 (total duty hours time per diem rate)
$893.04

Now if you were lucky enough to fly senior, add 18+40 hrs X 4.50 =84.00 for a total of $977.04. Pretty darn close to $1000, even without the Senior pay.

Latest posts

Back