FAA Investigation Substantiates Mechanics Safety Complaint Against American Airlines

WeAAsles

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
A March 25 letter from the Federal Aviation Administration to six American Airlines mechanics, who filed whistleblower complaints against the airline for allegedly retaliating against them for reporting maintenance improprieties, states that an investigation of the airline by the agency’s Flight Standards Service “substantiated that a violation of an order, regulation or standard of the FAA related to air carrier safety occurred.”  The letter goes on to state that the FAA is taking “appropriate corrective and/or enforcement action.”  The letter, sent by Vincent L. Murray, the FAA’s Manager, Audit and Analysis Branch, does not specify what American Airlines’ violation was or what corrective or enforcement action might be taken against it.  However, the letter references the whistleblower complaint filed by the six American Airlines mechanics, William Carpenter, Joel Hastings, Thaddeus Kosecki, James Larson, Bela Mohapp and Edward Tosado in October 2014.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/05/01/faa-investigation-substantiates-mechanics-safety-complaint-against-american-airlines/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

I spoke to one of the guys who is on the list. He said at first it was heading in the direction of being swept under the carpet by the company then the FAA got involved but as usual they are reactive and not proactive until the lawsuit was filed. This issue has made it to the steps of a federal court in Washington D.C. Now we will see what happens if anything. I am sure if something comes out of this AA will say we removed or reassigned certain members of management who were aware and directly involved in this practice. Since a federal lawsuit was filed no one is at liberty to discuss this case openly anymore. We will just have to wait and see.

Still a positive step in the right direction.  CONGRATS to all for the filings and the attorneys getting this pushed thru for you guys.  Made my morning reading this article...

Reactions: 1 person
Allegiant said that it has been placed on expanded FAA oversight.

it isn't out of the realm of possibility that the FAA could insert itself to a much greater degree than they have done with AA so far.