FAIR

wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
First Principle: Cut the Numbers
Any level of illegal immigration is unacceptable, and current legal immigrant admissions of about one million persons each year are entirely too many.
Any measure that increases either illegal or legal immigration violates this principle. Immigration is a discretionary public policy. Its primary purpose, since our founding, is to advance the interests and security of the nation.

Second Principle: No Amnesty or Mass Guest-Worker Program
The 1986 amnesty was a failure; rather than reducing illegal immigration, it led to an increase. Any new amnesty measure will further weaken respect for our immigration law. Therefore, all amnesty measures must be defeated.
Laws against illegal immigration must be enforced, if they are going to act as a deterrent. Redefining illegal aliens as “guest-workersâ€￾ or anything else is just that: a redefinition that attempts to hide the fact it is an amnesty, not reform.

Third Principle: Protect Wages and Standards of Living
Immigration policy should not be permitted to undermine opportunities for America's poor and vulnerable citizens to improve their working conditions and wages. The need for guest workers must be determined by objective indicators that a shortage of workers exists, i.e., extreme wage inflation in a particular sector of the labor market.
The current system accepts self-serving attestations of employers who seek lower labor costs as protections of American workers. True reform requires an objective test of labor shortage demonstrated by rising wages to attract more American workers.

Fourth Principle: Major Upgrade in Interior Enforcement, Led by Strong Employers Penalties
Employers who knowingly employ unauthorized workers are the magnet that attracts illegal entry into the U.S. These employers are complicit in the illegal alien cartel activity of smuggling, trafficking, harboring, and employing and must be punished. We must reform the current system by enforcing employer sanctions and fully punishing employers who break the laws of this country. These punishments will be fines, jailing for repeat offenders, and loss of corporate charters.
Employers who knowingly or unknowingly employ illegal workers must be weaned off of their growing use of such workers by assuring a level playing field for all employers and demonstrating effective enforcement actions against employers who continue to exploit illegal workers. No U.S. industry has jobs in which there are no American workers. If illegal workers are decreased over time, wages offered will rise to attract back more American workers. Real shortages, as noted above, can be met with short-term temporary foreign workers.

The Basic Pilot Employment Verification program must be made mandatory and at no extra cost to employers.

Effective immigration enforcement on the border and the interior of the country requires that staffing, equipment, detention facilities, and removal capabilities be adequate to fully meet current needs. The measures needed to identify and remove illegal aliens will also remove the ability of potential terrorists to operate freely in our country as they plot the next catastrophic attack on our people.

Fifth Principle: Stop Special Interest Asylum Abuse
Reforming the refugee and asylum system means returning to the original purpose and definition of the program: “any person who... is unable or unwilling to return to, and is unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion....â€￾
America must honor it responsibilities to protect people who are fleeing true political persecution as defined by U.S. and international law. Efforts to expand those definitions to include all forms of “social persecutionâ€￾ invite massive fraud and endanger the security of this nation. Similarly, treating aliens illegally residing in the country the same as foreigners on legal visitor visas for purposes of the Temporary Protected Status designation is illogical and a form of amnesty that must be ended.

Sixth Principle: Immigration Time Out
We must restore moderation to legal immigration. Beginning with the recommendations of the Jordan Commission in 1995, we need to restrict immigration to the minimum consistent with stabilizing the U.S. population.
Overall immigration must be reduced to balance out-migration, i.e., about 300,000 per year while still permitting nuclear family reunification and a narrowly focused refugee resettlement program. A moratorium on all other immigration should be immediately adopted pending true comprehensive immigration reform. We should abolish the extended relation preferences.

Seventh Principle: Equal Under the Law
There should be no favoritism toward or discrimination against any person on the basis of race, color, creed, or nationality.
All admission of immigrants should come within a single, stable ceiling which is periodically reviewed on the basis of a reasoned, explicit goal of achieving population stability. We should abolish special preferences such as the Cuban Adjustment Act.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServer?page...ch_research3327

How are you all doing regarding this issue?

Although, my Senators are Worthless here in PA (I have contacted both)Casey who has responded with the party line and Specter who has not responded at all. I do have hope. I contacted my representative here in the Butler PA area (north of Pittsburgh) Jason Altmire who issued this press release:

ALTMIRE DECLARES OPPOSITION TO SENATE IMMIGRATION BILL
Says bill goes too far by rewarding lawbreakers and granting amnesty
(Washington, DC) — U.S. Representative Jason Altmire (PA-4) today vowed to oppose any immigration bill that does not respect citizenship and meet American expectations of border security. Congressman Altmire made the announcement in response to yesterday's Senate vote of 69-23 to begin debate on a comprehensive immigration bill that would give legal status to millions of illegal immigrants in the United States.

"I am disheartened that my colleagues in the Senate and President Bush have decided to move forward on a trajectory that will reward illegal immigrants with amnesty," said Congressman Altmire. "Over 12 million illegal immigrants living in our country have shown callous disregard for the laws that govern our society while placing an undue burden on American taxpayer-funded health care, education and legal systems. The correct response to the immigration crisis is stronger enforcement and a redoubling of our commitment to the rule of law. Bestowing the high honor of American citizenship on lawbreakers is tantamount to giving away the store."

While the Kennedy-Kyl immigration bill includes provisions to tighten border security and toughen workplace enforcement, the proposed plan would grant renewable, four-year visas to illegal immigrants living in the United States prior to January 1, 2007. It would give illegal immigrants the option of applying for green cards and create a new "merit based" point system when evaluating applicants for citizenship. The Senate immigration bill would also create a guest worker program to allow up to 400,000 unskilled workers to enter the country each year.

"I oppose the Kennedy-Kyl bill, a bill that rewards lawbreakers," said Congressman Altmire. "While I support the inclusion of heightened border security measures, the strengthening of unlawful hiring protections and steps to reduce chain migration, the Kennedy-Kyl bill goes too far and is an underhanded way of providing a path to citizenship and granting amnesty to illegal immigrants."

# # #