Fatal Ramp Accident At Orf

Status
Not open for further replies.
did they ever find out what actually happened in ORF that day? My sympathies go out to her and her entire family.

Robbed--

What actually happened: Mrs. Bogucki was crushed between the pushback tug and the nose of the A/C. Apparently, she was trying to hook it up to the plane by herself. Here's an article on the incident.

Why it happened: The investigation was still ongoing as of last month. What is known, is that ORF was very short staffed for quite some time leading up to this, and that worker's concerns about safety went unheeded.

As a result of this incident, all NW pushbacks now have a steel "framework" around the front of them to prevent this from happening in the future.

...all NW pushbacks now have a steel "framework" around the front of them to prevent this from happening in the future.
Kev, I asked a few questions about this incident today. Didn't have time to check the policies myself but I got the basics. As you said all NWA pushbacks have a steel framework around them. Is it true that there are supposed to be two people handling a puchback and tow bar at all times? After I found this out at about mid day and paid closer attention to the rampers during pushback. On two different occasions I watched two different rampers hook the tow bar to the aircraft alone and then drive up to and hook the bar to the tug alone. Before I go any further is this two-man rule NWA policy?

Also thank you for the eloquent answer to my question as to whether this was on AMFA's watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.