First 242-Tonne MTOW A333 rolls out for Delta

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
Yes, I can see the ads now:  Fatty McGee loves DLs big ass seats.  Why don't you fly on DL too, chubs.
given that the average American - let alone many other cultures - has more girth than the 17 inch that other carriers will have as the norm for their widebody fleet, DL doesn't have to appeal to fatties - just the average American. Even aside from whether people will fit in that amount of space or not, western culture has a certain amount of personal body space than an extra inch does wonders at addressing.

if you want to call an entire country fat and refuse to provide the space that they want, then don't be surprised if they go elsewhere.

I'm not mocking a country. I'm mocking you and your absurd fantasies that DL is going to market it's amazing (2nd best?) seat width. I don't think any carrier does that. Now seat pitch, that is something that is more important, not just to me but to probably most Americans.

Getting somewhat back to the topic: what route(s) is DL going to operate the aircraft on? Have any announcements been made?

seat guru says DL's 777s have 18.5 inch seat width in economy. UA has slightly less.

show me the data if you have evidence otherwise.

and both DL and UA will have wider standard coach seat width than AA after AA does its refurb

and DL and UA's 777s will be wider in standard coach than UA's 787s and presumably AA's as well. if that is not he case, let us know.

unless UA changes its 777 config, AA will have the largest US carrier fleet of narrow seat widebody int'l aircraft. DL will have the largest fleet of wider seat int'l aircraft.

and like the ME3/ 9/11 comment, it got buzz.

edge works.

DL has a product advantage that they very likely will use... and it will likely feature pretty people who don't want to have to touch their neighbors rather than being about fat people.

xUT said:
Any idea of the seat configuration?

Never mind, found it here:

Delta Seat Maps
At least cattle has the 18" seat width.... :p
Same as the other 333s in the fleet
18 inch wide seats are the good of the 330/350 over the 787. 

WorldTraveler said:
as will all of DL's int'l fleet as soon as the 744s leave (just under 18 inches for the 767s) but DL's seat width will be better than all other US airlines.

oh, and the 333 has been named once again by Aviation Week (IIRC) as the lowest CASM widebody aircraft in the skies.

this version can fly to most markts in Korea and Japan from the western half of the US and msot of China from the west coast.

It will work nicely to combat cAArriers that have notions of expanding where they don't have a chance of making money.
just under is not 18 inches. 

WorldTraveler said:
and it has engines that will greatly expand the capabilities of the plane....

I'm waiting to hear from pilots who fly it how much better it performs than the PMNW P&W powered 330s.

yoyo,
unless you want to cling to the remaining 767s and 777s in DL's fleet, the Airbus will be the backbone of DL's widebody fleet for the next 25 years.
what makes that so? 

DL's 767 seats are 17.9 seats. If you can perceive a difference between 17.9 and 18.0 inches, then I suppose you get the prize.

I am certain that people will perceive a difference between 17 and 17.9/18 inch seats.

4K more thrust per side, don't you think?

WorldTraveler said:
DL's 767 seats are 17.9 seats. If you can perceive a difference between 17.9 and 18.0 inches, then I suppose you get the prize.

I am certain that people will perceive a difference between 17 and 17.9/18 inch seats.

4K more thrust per side, don't you think?
Again, unless GE has come out with a new engine the CF6-80E1 can only go to 68K. At least according to the TCDS

perhaps you are right..... but increasing the weight of the aircraft by almost 20K pounds with no increase in engine thrust is a recipe for decreased performance.

GE's site says the max thrust is just under 70K

http://www.geaviation.com/commercial/engines/cf6/

and the site you linked does not list the GE engine as an option for the -243, only the RR engine.

yoyo,
Despite your distaste for Airbus, the 333 is the lowest CASM widebody available.

When you consider that the new 333s are doing routes that the 772ER originally did, it isn't hard to see why DL chose the 333 in its latest engine version along with the increased take off weight 330s that should be flying in a couple months.

and DL doesn't care if it is a Lockheed or McDonnell Douglas.

all they want is an aircraft that can most cost effectively compete with any other aircraft that other carriers will use while pushing out DL's capabilities across the Pacific where DL needs aircraft to replace the 744s and grow into a different type of TPAC network.

WorldTraveler said:
and DL doesn't care if it is a Lockheed or McDonnell Douglas.

all they want is an aircraft that can most cost effectively compete with any other aircraft that other carriers will use while pushing out DL's capabilities across the Pacific where DL needs aircraft to replace the 744s and grow into a different type of TPAC network.

Then we should change the name to Aeroflot V2.0

Back