First 242-Tonne MTOW A333 rolls out for Delta

WorldTraveler said:
good perspectives but the difference between DL and both AA and UA is that DL is willing to hold onto an older fleet which does need more maintenance and at use that work inhouse. It might be true that AA and UA insource and the US legacies become the MROs of choice over others but there is no evidence so far that is happening.
I don't really think AA and UA are going to become the MROs like DL is and will become. At the end of the day they don't have the productivity to pay Delta pay but keep CASM low. That is why Delta has a ~10 cent CASM advantage on the MX side compared to AA and UA. 

I do think AA and UA will be doing more of their own work in-house though 
WorldTraveler said:
and you are absolutely right that DL is moving rapidly to snap up qualified pilots and is ready to do the same with mechanics because there simply won't be enough to support the needs of the industry including the ME3 and other airlines in East Asia.
the ME3 and Asian carriers aren't a threat to taking A&Ps like they are with pilots. 

WorldTraveler said:
As for Airbus capabilities, I have a feeling that DL made it clear as part of the 50 widebody aircraft order that it wanted to increase its MRO capabilities and would use whatever deal to help do that - but also wanted Airbus' help with existing aircraft; I wouldn't be surprised if that is why the 332s got increased TOWs and the 320s got a life extension.
Well Delta was growing Airbus work pre-order. I mean its only logical. Delta has the volume with its own work to offer economies of scale to customers. 

WorldTraveler said:
and DL gains a lot more inhouse capabilities and the ability to do more of its own work inhouse
economics of scale. Is Delta ever going to become a Trent 700 overhaul center? no. They don't have the volume in the fleet to support it. 
but they will have 50 each of the Trent XWB and Trent 7000. Plenty of engines to start those lines. 

The RJ side they have the volume thanks to 9E and DCI. 

WorldTraveler said:
and your point about labor costs going up in other parts of the world means that DL really does have the ability to serve markets with its own aircraft but do work on a competitive basis with other MROs.
Of course we do. Productivity is key here.
I told you, LAN, UPS, HA, GOL etc. etc. etc. aren't doing work with TechOps because they can't do math, its because we are comparable in costs, offer industry leading reliability and have the economies of scale in what we are doing.   

WorldTraveler said:
the key bottom line in your post and what is happening in Tech Ops is that DL is once again leading the industry in strategically thinking forward and adapting the business to it.
I agree. I believe 100% in growing TechOps for Delta, but also for the MRO.  

700UW said:
Hate to tell you this DL outsources every heavy check over a C.
We already know this, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the new engine shop......

and the productivity issue is PRECISELY an example of what unions do and end jobs for Americans.

when the goal of a union is to put the most people on the payroll and increase union dues, companies just get rid of jobs.

and yes DL will do more insourcing even if AA and US bring more of their own work back inhouse.

and the ME3 and other Asian airlines might not directly compete for US mechanics but they do use Asian MROs which reduces the amount of capacity they have to do US work.

US and European airlines have the best ability to provide for their own needs and have the experienced personnel to do so.

and I have long said that DL's maintenance costs and quality are exactly why other airlines send their work to ATL... we are on the same page on that.

DL hasnt brought any airframe overhaul in-house, nor the cabin mods, all outsourced.

WorldTraveler said:
and the productivity issue is PRECISELY an example of what unions do and end jobs for Americans.

when the goal of a union is to put the most people on the payroll and increase union dues, companies just get rid of jobs.

and yes DL will do more insourcing even if AA and US bring more of their own work back inhouse.

and the ME3 and other Asian airlines might not directly compete for US mechanics but they do use Asian MROs which reduces the amount of capacity they have to do US work.

US and European airlines have the best ability to provide for their own needs and have the experienced personnel to do so.

and I have long said that DL's maintenance costs and quality are exactly why other airlines send their work to ATL... we are on the same page on that.
Unions aren't the problem, its the mind set of both the unions and management that is the problem. 
Just like we have seen from the AA people "I only care about AA work" thats a stupid way to operate. I will also never understand why both sides wouldn't work together to drive down costs. Both sides are very stupid in the way they do things. 

and FWIW the ME3 are starting to get into the MRO game. EK just built a state of the art base in DXB. Doing all kind of airframe and engine work. EY just bought ADAT and is getting into the MRO game. 

I would say watch the ME3 and India. They could be the next threat to US labor if they ever stop being so shady.... (right now, aint no one getting their planes fixed in India.) 

700UW said:
DL hasnt brought any airframe overhaul in-house, nor the cabin mods, all outsourced.
Okay that isn't completely true
but i am still missing your point. Do you keep bringing up overhauls because the IAM has no control over engine or component MX?  

and yet DL insources more work than any other airline in the western hemisphere and the net of DL's insourcing and its outsourcing gives the lowest level of outsourcing in the industry.

dawg,
regardless if it is the union's or labor's fault, the reality is that US legacy carriers don't use their unionized workforces to do any more than they have to.

The same principle applies to why DL is bringing RJ flying back to mainline. DL has the confidence its own people including its unionized pilots can and will do what is in DL's interests.

WN unions think the same way.

AA and UA unions just like at NW do not.

WorldTraveler said:
and yet DL insources more work than any other airline in the western hemisphere and the net of DL's insourcing and its outsourcing gives the lowest level of outsourcing in the industry.
I am curious how you come up with that number? I don't really see a way to add insourcing from the MIT data....? 

DL is the launch customer for the new A390:

0x2c90.jpg

Back