Flight 43 Makes Emergency Landing in AMS

A330US

Senior
Aug 10, 2005
hey guys,
there is a thread on Airliners.net about a US 767-200ER emergency landning,the engine had 3-6 exploions and a huge flame behind the #1 engine. The plane had engine problems after leaving AMS for PHL
this is scary
this is/could be 2nd US 767 to be out of service because of maintenance issues. That leaves us with 8 767s

hey guys,
there is a thread on Airliners.net about a US 767-200ER emergency landning,the engine had 3-6 exploions and a huge flame behind the #1 engine.
this is scary

"Explosions" is a bit dramatic. It is called a compressor stall and is not that uncommon on high-bypass turbofans, especially those on the 767-200. The flames are just unburned fuel exiting and they do so either out of the rear or even front of the engine cowl. It is often caused by variable stator blades not in the proper position, or some other relatively minor mechanical problem. Sometimes shutting the engine and restarting fixes the problem and the plane can press on. Other times it is left running at idle and a return to the airport is prudent.

Compressor stalls can feel like a violent shake throughout the airplane, but from a piloting/safety perspective it is relatively benign.

Just caught this on another forum. Supposedly on takeoff this morning from AMS flight 43 had trouble with their #1 engine. 8 loud bangs were heard and flames starting shooting out of it. Someone actually got a picture of it:

Flight 43

They were able to make an emergency landing 10 minutes later and bring it back into the gate. The flight has been cancelled. I think it was booked to around 110.

And right after the new paint dried!!! :(

Seriously, glad nobody was hurt. Will be interested to hear the details and prognosis.

"Explosions" is a bit dramatic. It is called a compressor stall and is not that uncommon on high-bypass turbofans, especially those on the 767-200. The flames are just unburned fuel exiting and they do so either out of the rear or even front of the engine cowl. It is often caused by variable stator blades not in the proper position, or some other relatively minor mechanical problem. Sometimes shutting the engine and restarting fixes the problem and the plane can press on. Other times it is left running at idle and a return to the airport is prudent.

Compressor stalls can feel like a violent shake throughout the airplane, but from a piloting/safety perspective it is relatively benign.
i agree but to the 5 year old and his daddy looking out the window..WTF?? comes to mind.

yes it is with the new paint job. the engine sort of looks like a rocket there with the fire coming out. did they make an emergency landing at AMS?

"Explosions" is a bit dramatic. It is called a compressor stall and is not that uncommon on high-bypass turbofans, especially those on the 767-200. The flames are just unburned fuel exiting and they do so either out of the rear or even front of the engine cowl.

The same thing happening on the 727's APU - in the right wing root - has caused more than one startled look. Flame shooting out of the wing just outside the window. Really looks dramatice at night.

I'll venture that there were a few gasps heard on flight 43.

963368.jpg

Benign is a bit generous of a word for an aircraft on takeoff that suddenly experiences multiple stalls and loss of thrust.

I could think of more benign things that could happen.

BTW, If you ever stood next to a jet engine pulling power and it has a compressor stall, I got news for you.....it is an explosion!!

Latest posts