Flight 43 Makes Emergency Landing in AMS

Benign is a bit generous of a word for an aircraft on takeoff that suddenly experiences multiple stalls and loss of thrust.

I could think of more benign things that could happen.

BTW, If you ever stood next to a jet engine pulling power and it has a compressor stall, I got news for you.....it is an explosion!!
Notice I said from a PILOTING/SAFETY perspective. We practice this sort of thing in the simulator all the time. And although a compressor stall sounds like multiple explosions and certainly can shake and yaw the aircraft, it is not as catastrophic as say a seisure at v-1 where the engine goes from TO power to zero thrust in an instant at the most critical point. Even during a compressor stall, the engine produces some thrust.

Don't get me wrong. It is the skill and professionalism of the pilots that make such an event benign. I'm not minimizing what happened, and kudos to the flight crew for their safe handling of the event. It is exactly those events that pilots train for, and is why piloting is not a minimum wage job. Everyone should remember this fact the next time a person is tempted to start with the "over-paid-under-worked" stereo type. There is a huge amount of skill, expertise, and knowledge required to make such an event benign.

I would expect every professional pilot (at least in this country) to handle the same situation in the same skillful manner. It was only my intention, to avoid the sensationalism that is often associated with the media's coverage of these things. As spectacular and dramatic as those flaming pictures are, no one's life was in immediate danger. It is benign from a piloting perspective because it is exactly what we are trained to handle. Thats all.

And BTW, I have experienced a real compressor stall... Twice. Once from the outside (yes, it is very loud!) and once from the cockpit during climb out.

those old 727's were notorious for #2 compressor stalls due to the interuption of air flow taking a dog leg turn thru the inlet, especially when power was reduced at an expeditious rate. 767JETS is right, its not an engine failure but will certainly get your attention, especially if your on the ground doing engine trim.

767JETZ,

Just keeping you flyboys in check....that's all ;)

I know where you are coming from.

Safe flight to all.

It is exactly those events that pilots train for, and is why piloting is not a minimum wage job. Everyone should remember this fact the next time a person is tempted to start with the "over-paid-under-worked" stereo type. There is a huge amount of skill, expertise, and knowledge required to make such an event benign.
Ditto for those who maintain and prevent those powerplants from becoming gigantic hand grenades :up:

I dont want to get chewed out here, but it seems like there is an alwful lot of aileron deflection. Isn't that how that UA 747 barely cleared the hills of SFO after an engine failure. The pilot corrected for the yaw with the ailerons, which deployed roll spoilers. You've got to step on the ball, that's what I always learned. I know that this is just a second frozen in time, and maybe the wing dropped violently. It could have even been during the start of a turn on the departure out of AMS. Some reports have said the A/C "dropped" but they most likely blowing things out of proportion. Of course the main thing is that the A/C returned to the airport safely. Just wondering what other people think.

I dont want to get chewed out here, but it seems like there is an alwful lot of aileron deflection. Isn't that how that UA 747 barely cleared the hills of SFO after an engine failure. The pilot corrected for the yaw with the ailerons, which deployed roll spoilers. You've got to step on the ball, that's what I always learned. I know that this is just a second frozen in time, and maybe the wing dropped violently. It could have even been during the start of a turn on the departure out of AMS. Some reports have said the A/C "dropped" but they most likely blowing things out of proportion. Of course the main thing is that the A/C returned to the airport safely. Just wondering what other people think.

I think you have incredibly good eyes to be able to determine the control surface deflection from the photograph.

About all I could tell was the flaps were extended and the gear doors were nearly closed.

Good job crew.

Here's a little better version of the picture...

View attachment 3720

You can tell that the left aileron is deflected down slightly more than the adjacent flap panel while the right aileron is deflected up slightly relative to the adjacent flap panel.

It doesn't appear that there's a lot of aileron deflection, but someone that flys the 767 would be a better reference.

Remember that the compressor stalls cause a yaw into the affected engine - the left engine in this case. With a swept-wing, yaw increases lift on the wing yawing forward and decreases lift on the wing yawing rearward - in this case causing a left rolling tendency. The ailerons are deflected to counter that left roll.

Jim

Any more word on the extent of damage to the engine? Is the plane back in service?
The aircraft is back in service after having the engine changed. No damage to the aircraft.
I flew on Flight 43 on Monday and the 767 was in the new livery and I think only one is painted so I'd say yes it's back in service
Flight 43 on Monday was flown on a/c 650. a/c 656 had the engine changed. We have two now and you flew on the newest one, not the one with the "warm" wing.