flight 68 at miami pushed in to catering truck

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
An American Airlines flight at Miami International Airport hit a catering truck while the plane was being pushed back from its gate Sunday night, airport and airline spokesmen said.

No one was injured in the incident, but both the plane and the truck sustained considerable damage, American Airlines spokesman Tim Wagner said.

''There was some extensive damage to the bottom part of the aircraft and to the top of the truck,'' Wagner said.

There were 202 passengers and 12 crew members aboard Flight 68, a Boeing 767-300 scheduled to depart for Barajas Airport in Madrid at 6:15 p.m. The flight pushed back from the gate about 7:30 p.m.

story here

If the catering truck was "stationary", then It will be interesting to see, if 2 WING WALKERS were guiding the Jumbo Jet !

NH/BB's

It's Miami, what do you think? :lol:

I can't tell you how many times we've had aircraft come in from MIA with empty potable water tanks and full lav tanks.

Never mind at least once a day we get a MIA inbound without strollers.Always have passenger service or one of the crew come down the stairs looking for strollers that weren't loaded...

I can't tell you how many times we've had aircraft come in from MIA with empty potable water tanks and full lav tanks.

Yup. Same here.

I can't speak for cargo management, but back when mechs pushed planes, we would usually do it with only one wing walker. He would use his judgement as to whether to be at the tail or a selected wing tip. I felt I was being made to feel like a hardass if I requested a second wing walker when I thought conditions warranted.

Now and then AA would get bit on that, but there never was a strongly worded position from the company on two wing walkers. Many times a plane would go out with just a headset man and a tractor driver. I did it myself on certain gates. Mea Culpa. :(

Still daylight at 7:30pm; wasn't even dark.

I've never pushed back a $100 million airplane with 200 souls plus 120k pounds of jet fuel aboard in a crowded alleyway, but if I did, I'd insist on two wingwalkers (you know, one for each of those huge wings) and a third person watching the ass-end of the airplane, all in constant radio contact with the tug driver. That AA refuses to do so is an example of its penny-wise/pound foolishness.

Be fair, FWAAA. AA is one of the last men standing with wing-walkers. A lot of other carriers did away with them five and ten years ago.

We ran the cost analysis of eliminating wing-walkers once, and came to the conclusion there was virtually zero headcount to be gained. You're already using two of a five man crew. Using two of the other three to push out the aircraft is a no-brainer.

Unless manning has changed to the point where the half the crew gets sent off to work another trip during pushout, there's no logical reason not to have them as wingwalkers, and pushing the aircraft without them was simply stupid on the part of the driver.

Every time I have ever looked out and saw the wing walkers. They were focused on the forward part of the plane and the tug. No one ever seems to be checking out what is behind, or off to any one side of the airplane.

Be fair, FWAAA. AA is one of the last men standing with wing-walkers. A lot of other carriers did away with them five and ten years ago.

We ran the cost analysis of eliminating wing-walkers once, and came to the conclusion there was virtually zero headcount to be gained. You're already using two of a five man crew. Using two of the other three to push out the aircraft is a no-brainer.

Unless manning has changed to the point where the half the crew gets sent off to work another trip during pushout, there's no logical reason not to have them as wingwalkers, and pushing the aircraft without them was simply stupid on the part of the driver.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Got to give a BIG "10-4" to Eric, on this one.

The first poor bastard that gets hauled into the hearing is the tug driver.

Many is the time(with myself in the tug), that I REFUSED to push the a/c.
The best way to PISS mngt. off, was, that I called the captain, ask him to call for a ramp supvr, who would come RUNNING out to the flight(with a STUPID look on his kisser) asking what the problem was. Once told, he would RUN back into the break room, and a second wing walker, would come RUNNING out to the flight.

Of course, all of this was transpiring with FULL KNOWLEGE that there is NO RUNNING on the RAMP !!!!!!!!!!!

It's SCARY, how many #UCKING IDIOTS your forced to work with.

NH/BB's

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Got to give a BIG "10-4" to Eric, on this one.

The first poor bastard that gets hauled into the hearing is the tug driver.

Many is the time(with myself in the tug), that I REFUSED to push the a/c.
Once told, he would RUN back into the break room, and a second wing walker, would come RUNNING out to the flight.

Of course, all of this was transpiring with FULL KNOWLEGE that there is NO RUNNING on the RAMP !!!!!!!!!!!

It's SCARY, how many #UCKING IDIOTS your forced to work with.

NH/BB's

Well, we don't know for sure if there were 2 wing walkers or not on the MIA flight. What you would think is that AA would have learned their lesson about ground safety when that poor ramper was run over by the tug in DFW a few months ago.

Latest posts