Flight Attendant TA Questions & Answers

FWAAA said:
Nor will the TA require the US A330s to be retrofitted with crew rest modules:

While most of the A330s are flown on relatively short flights to Europe, PHL-TLV is a long flight at 5,771 miles, and currently uses an A330-200.   My guess is that TLV gets AA  777 metal once that's possible.  

As an aside, the TA has numerous inconsistencies and mistakes in it - too bad the APFA couldn't hire some proof-readers.   An example:

What?   Not to exceed 14?   Or not to exceed 15?    The crew rest section (38) contains a portion at the beginning talking about crew rest for flights under five hours and then section 38 begins all over again, omitting anything about sub-five hour flights.

Another example:   Crew meals are provided on all IPD flights to/from PHL and CLT, meaning short flights to LHR and Europe get crew meals, but nothing comparable on the AA side.   Huh?

It's a very sloppy draft.
A FA cannot be scheduled or have their schedule modified (rescheduled) to exceed 14 hours.  In actual operations they can exceed the 14 hours and go up to 15 hours, due to delays during actual operations.  In other words a sequence or pairing may not be built to be on duty more than 14 hours, nor can the company modify the sequence/pairing beyond 14 hours.  However, in the event of a delay, the crew drop time is at 15 hours of on duty time.  

Reactions: 2 people
Not that I really care to feed the troll (WT), but I do love how he has side stepped my question directed towards him in regards to how many FA's DL and UA use on their comparable equipment.

Reactions: 3 people
AirLUVer said:
A FA cannot be scheduled or have their schedule modified (rescheduled) to exceed 14 hours.  In actual operations they can exceed the 14 hours and go up to 15 hours, due to delays during actual operations.  In other words a sequence or pairing may not be built to be on duty more than 14 hours, nor can the company modify the sequence/pairing beyond 14 hours.  However, in the event of a delay, the crew drop time is at 15 hours of on duty time.
I understand that, but the definition I quoted in post #60 was sloppy, with typos. The definition of "mid-range flying" is correct in 14-1:

5. “Mid-Range Flying” is defined as any International duty period which does not contain flying in excess of twelve (12) hours block. The on-duty period will be scheduled or rescheduled for more than fourteen (14) hours, but not to exceed fifteen (15) hours.
Problems like this result when someone drafts a contract that repeats itself, which is usually a poor idea. Section 2-3 contains definitions, including "mid-range flying," and then the contract contains the definition once again in 14-1. It's correctly written in 14-1 but incorrect in 2-3. Once is enough - just write it correctly once and then use it throughout the agreement.

Hopefully the vast majority of us should have the ability to soak it all in and adjust to the complete differences between the contract cultures. I am in complete disgust to most things AFA and their desire to absolutely over control things. However, after reading the TA and listening to the conference calls, I have ZERO idea why anyone would voluntarily reduce the total value of the contract for everyone. This contract is amazing, considering where we came from and the gigantic hurdle the JNC had to navigate. I think they did AMAZING and I will happily and enthusiastically be voting YES!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Not that I really care to feed the troll (WT), but I do love how he has side stepped my question directed towards him in regards to how many FA's DL and UA use on their comparable equipment.
maybe because it isn't necessary to grasp that DL at least and I am pretty sure it applies at UA that they have enough beds and staff sufficiently so that an entire int'l crew can be accommodated in 2 crew rest periods.

there is no "we have 11 FAs and 4 bunks" so you only get to rest for 2 hours nonsense at those airlines.

they put in enough crew rest facilities to accommodate half of the crew at a time and still keep the cabins properly staffed.

I would think for service levels you wouldn't want only 5 flight attendants caring for 260 passengers, even if most are sleeping. There are still periodic seat belt checks and other duties to be taken care of during the break times for the crews.

I have been on numerous longhaul flights on DL and they manage to provide all of the service passengers need between meal service even while crew rest breaks are going on.

And I am certain they know that in an emergency, breaks come to a quick end.

Plenty of global airlines have reduced staffing in the cabin during between non-meal phases of flight and still manage to meet FAA or other regulatory requirements.

Latest posts