Flight Attendant TA Questions & Answers

WorldTraveler said:
since this is an open forum, excluding anyone other than AA/US FAs is inappropriate.

jimntx,
can hou explain the sentence about crew meals?

can you explain what you know about the single health plans for all AA employees - esp. regarding increased costs that some AA employees are talking about here?
Crew meals are not available on any domestic flights--only on flights of 7 hours or more which would of course be International flights.  That being said, I've never seen a crew meal I would eat.  We used to have them and it consisted of a small sack with a container of dried mash potatoes that you added hot water to, and IIRC, an apple.  Have not looked at the health plan options yet.  Haven't had time or desire, but based upon some of the other posts here, the costs are going up and the benefits are going down.  I'm shocked.  Shocked, I tell you.  (Not)

However, we are permitted to eat unsold perishable food from the M/C Buy on Board provisions--that includes the sandwiches, and some of them are actually quite good.  And, we get first dibs on any uneaten F/C meals though under the new catering regime, there are fewer flights with tray meals even in F/C.

There are not many f/as in danger of starving to death.

thank you, sir.

this was the part that I was questioning. any insight into it?

Q: Are there any crew meals in this T/A?

A: Crew meals will be provided to Flight Attendants working International Premium Destination (IPD) sequences originating at PHL and/or CLT and for any flight over 12 block hour.

this seems not only different from what you said currently exists but also even a change on int'l flights with differences between hubs???

This T/A follows the predictable outcome that has plagued UsAir f/as for every merger.  Most of the sections that pertain to US flight attendants read "Maintained", rather than "gain", however that is not to say that I do not believe that the JNC did not do an admirable job on the T/A. 

The reality is, USair flight attendants leaned on an auspicious history of tough negotiators that managed to impact our contracts for thirty years, despite the efforts of  bankruptcy and management, who all brought their machetes and did their best to gut the quirky but valuable items that tough intelligent women had worked hard to get in writing.  The raises are overdue and welcome and LAA hotel language has GOT to be better than our language or lack thereof.

A few points/ questions, whatever that "drop your last leg" item is in the contract, it didn't come from US.  US flight attendants are allowed to "find" someone-usually a commuter, to do their last leg, it's a favor, and unpaid.  AWA, on the other hand had a particularly nasty component in their contract that basically worked like this:  Sally's trip is: PHX-LAX, LAX-PHX, PHX-SFO, SFO-PHX.  Sally calls scheduling and asks to drop her last turn.  Scheduling says, "sure" and hauls out a reserve to do it.  I am guessing that this isn't what they are referencing, but I can tell you that we do not currently have the ability to place our last leg on the ETB.  What exactly is a minimum day worth?  Was it in the highlights?

The reserve section represents a big loss to US flight attendants.  Currently, we have straight reserve until you hold a line.  While I do not in theory object to rotating reserve, one has to view this through the prism of US history.  We have 1989 hires whose careers have been on an off reserve until recently.  To subject them to it, even every three months, is frankly pretty lousy.

Crew rest seats:  also a loss.  Currently at US, we have rest seats on all transatlantic.  Say bye, bye on LHR, DUB, GLA, EDI, you get the picture.

No fences?  Lemme guess, how long has it been since LAX has had openings?  This is just pretty language, although it does represent a better situation than we had with AWA and PHX. 

What about our SA3 in retirement?  That was valuable to all of us, LAA included, especially viewed again, through the prism of what is a huge loss to US flight attendants, which is loss of seniority boarding.  (I'm not going to argue this with anyone, suffice to say, a reasonable person would agree that LUS lost a great deal with the imposition of a new system.)  It was a negotiated item, and whether you agree with it or not, it represented money.  In LAA speak, that would be D2 for retired flight attendants.  The silence on this is deafening, so I'm guessing it's a loss.

With regard to crew meals, that's pretty far down on the value list for most flight attendants.  We've all become the lunch box set, although the 12 hour rule is perplexing, as on International, US flight attendants all get a crew meal.  It actually facilitates the service, offering Business class a choice of meal, and then we get to choose from the remnants.  Is the 12 hours flight time or duty day?  If it's flight time, well, prepare for the fragrances emanating from the galleys as flight attendants cook "their food".

All in all, a respectable effort from both LAA and LUS negotiators, and bravo to them for gaining the match with Delta, although I do wish they'd been able to secure the $100,000 buyout offer!  Heave ho, off they go. . . !

thank you, Princess. good honest, summary.

where is the language regarding crew rest seats... your statement would indicate they are gone for 9 hour and possibly longer flight? and I presume that applies to all FAs? if so, that is big.

just curious, what aircraft types does AA and UA operate which have dedicated FA seats (on the main cabin or above/below deck facilities) that routinely operate flights up to the limit of the new rule (whatever you say it is)?

it does appear there are some significant advances as well as other things that might be dramatically different from today - for AA/US and the industry

This TA should be ratified, hopefully by a resounding margin. It will be nice to enjoy a contract who's total value is industry leading, even though some changes will be painful for a few. I expect there will be a few protest votes, mostly from people upset about the employment threshold or the mediocre healthcare, but anyone else who votes no expecting to get more in arbitration is either ill informed or just stupid.

Jim, I didn't see anything in the Q & A about 30-in-7 limitation for domestic sequences, or did I miss that?

This is not the complete document of course.  The Q&A is supposed to address the "burning" issues of the day.  In addition to the 30-in-7, we also don't know what the max hours per line for the month is either.  (Or, days flying in the month for that matter.  DFW-D has a 19-day line and numerous 17 and 18 day lines on the October bid sheet.  Eww.  It's almost like a real job!  Rumor has it there was a 22-day line on the MIA bidsheet for Oct.)  Actually lines like those make it easier on new hires who are always scrambling to pick up extra flying.

I went back and re-read the Q&A section about the 40-hour minimum line.  They insist that it is not an employment threshhold; just a "scheduling" issue.  Yeah, tell your mama.  Maybe she'll believe you.  If the computer will not allow you to drop below 40-hours, that means you have to fly those 40-hours as far as I know, or get missed trips, or burn up your sick leave. Either way, unless you are senior enough to hold a full-month bid leave every month (and that assumes that such leaves will be offered every month) there are some f/as who are going to be flying who don't normally do such common things.   :lol:

Oh, and I agree that the TA will pass by a large majority.  There is a large contingent of f/as who never read beyond the pay rate chart (which conveniently is usually placed on page 1 of the TA).  If the pay chart shows them getting a raise, you have another YES vote.

Galley Princess, I don't see how you could say that going from years of straight reserve to alternating one-one then one-three is a loss.  First off, it was stated that no one currently on the payroll will have to go to straight reserve.  And, a number of those who are on straight reserve now will start having line months most months (We call us lineholders.  I think you all use the term blockholders.)  As i understand it, they have grandfathered everyone already on the payroll in a way that no one will slip back to straight reserve.  That will only apply to future new hires.

As far as blockholders having to serve 3 months/year of reserve, well remember PIT the last year before it closed?  Which is better?  Slipping back to reserve 3 months per year with 10-15 years of seniority, or slipping back to straight reserve with 25 years of seniority because at 25 years you are the most junior f/as in the base?

As a matter of fact LAX has entertained transfers into the base on more than one occasion over the past year or so.  Not only was there a large contingent of LAX f/as who took the VEOP (Voluntary Early Out Program), but the company is increasing the flying at LAX.  If those senior f/as that live in the LA area start leaving PHL and CLT, I would much slip back to 3 months reserve/year than straight reserve for the forseeable future.

But, I wouldn't worry about it until it happens.  At the rate they are bringing new hires onto the payroll, I think there are going to be more people leaving reserve than slipping back on.  I'm based at DFW-D.  I'm off reserve with a bit over 12.5 years company seniority.  When I started in 2000, there were f/as at DFW with almost 25 years that were still serving 3 months reserve/year because DFW was so very senior.

Oh, and the fragrance of f/a home-prepared meals already wafts from the galley on the AA side of the house.  I know a number of f/as who won't even eat the leftover passenger meals.  (I do NOT recommend the miso chicken unless you are really starving.)  And, a number of AA cockpit members will not eat the provided crew meals.  I just flew with a captain last week who told me he had not eaten a crew meal in over 15 years!

As far as the retiree travel status...WE did not lose retiree travel status.  ALL retirees, including ones already retired, lost status from D2 to D2R.  Once again, the company had to do something.  Between AA and US there are more living retirees than active employees.  Some f/as are arguing that "a lot of the retirees never use their travel benefits."  Well, ok, but I suggest they try to prove that 'fact.'  And, beside that, even if they don't use them now, they might use them in the future. And, as long as they are D2 along with you and me, they could create havoc among the commuters.  Remember that a retiree is free to always be at the computer 24 hours in advance to be the first to check in.  (And, since I have 12.5 years, not 45 years, you will never convince me that DOH is better or fair.  The fact that one did not quit or die does not engender special privileges on granted benefits.  Those people already hold the best lines, get the first transfers, and the bid leaves and the open time make-up flying and so on and so forth.)

WorldTraveler said:
thank you, sir.

this was the part that I was questioning. any insight into it?

Q: Are there any crew meals in this T/A?

A: Crew meals will be provided to Flight Attendants working International Premium Destination (IPD) sequences originating at PHL and/or CLT and for any flight over 12 block hour.

this seems not only different from what you said currently exists but also even a change on int'l flights with differences between hubs???

Not really.  Some LUS flight attendants are focusing on the 12-hour stipulation.  IPD sequences are flights to European, Asian, and some South American destinations.  AFAIK, most PHL and CLT international sequences fall into the IPD category.  If a flight is from (for instance), DFW to SJO, why would you want a crew meal when in about 3 hours you can stuff yourself on excellent Costa Rican cuisine?  Or, if it is a turn, just eat at home when you get back.  In general, much healthier than airplane food.

Crew rest bunks on all AA 777, 4 on the 777-200 and 8 on the 300.. 4 crew rest seats on all AA 767-300 curtained off, not regular pax seats. 6 curtain off crew rest with foot rest like 767, how ever nothing beats a bunk, The z blocked seats may be used for crew rest per the Purser.

As for meals on the AA side yes there were hot B/C entrees, provided on International but given up in 2003. There is plenty  of food in each cabin on INT to be had. On Dom or any destination that has food for sale and not sold, if perishable may be eat en or taken for a layover.

I couldn't eat the food provided, my life would be easier if I could, but that's the way it is, and I wouldn't want any dues dollars being wasted on securing that stuff. When we had the hot entrees provide, most brought their own anyway.

ok, so Boston and other FAs,
is there different language and provisions in the TA for PMAA and PMUS FAs - specifically regarding crew meals, crew rest - or wlll everyone be under the same set of rules?

I can understand the profit sharing and transition pay issues but going forward are the two workgroups working under the same rules or not?

and if US FAs say they are losing crew rest seats, does that apply to PMAA FAs as well and what is the length of flight that will be required to have them?

given that AA has a large number of widebody flights from MIA to S. America that are as short as flights from the NE US to Europe, there could be a lot of flights that are losing crew rest seats if this is all happening.

You are clueless.

Its a JOINT COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT, everyone will be under the same rules.

no, I am not clueless. that is precisely what I thought but I wanted to hear an AA FA say it. and if that is the case, there will be a whole lot of AA FAs who will not be happy to know they are losing crew rest seats. and it will also be markedly different than what DL or UA do.

I can't imagine not having crew rest flights on dozens of overnight flights to/from S. America which are double red eye or on much of AA's European network since it is heavily concentrated at LHR.

galley princess said:
>> No fences?  Lemme guess, how long has it been since LAX has had openings?

LAX might surprise you.  In 2013 116 newhires went to LAX domestic and 6 (speakers) to international.  So far this year 153 newhires have gone to LAX-D and 13 (all speakers) to LAX-I.  A number of newhires are already off reserve in LAX-D

MK 

Latest posts

Back