Flight Attendant

thesassyfa

Oct 27, 2011
Any insider news on when Southwest will open up for hiring flight attendants again? I applied twice earlier this year. As we all know the overwhelming response shut down the server. I never got a email or phone call about a interview or well anything. Any tips will help! I am at a regional airline and dying to get out!

Any insider news on when Southwest will open up for hiring flight attendants again? I applied twice earlier this year. As we all know the overwhelming response shut down the server. I never got a email or phone call about a interview or well anything. Any tips will help! I am at a regional airline and dying to get out!

You might consider first trying to get ANY job at Southwest as it become available. There are far more inflight opportunities internally for Southwest employees than for externals.

Reactions: 1 person
Also, you have to be aware that they process their apps received online in the order they are received. When I was furloughed from AA in 2003, I immediately put in an on-line app with Southwest. They contacted me for an interview 19 months later. I had been recalled to AA the month before.

Also, you have to be aware that they process their apps received online in the order they are received. When I was furloughed from AA in 2003, I immediately put in an on-line app with Southwest. They contacted me for an interview 19 months later. I had been recalled to AA the month before.

Well there is no easy answer to this question,, here are two suggestions,,

#1- you could take the Air Tran approach,, that is just keep working for your current airline and hope that SWA buys it... there by entitling you to every year of seniority you have worked even though it was not for SWA,, demand your DOH and all the up grades in pay/benefits/ QOC(quality of career) , OK,, scratch that approach,, I think SWA will learn from this one,,may be another 17 years before they try it again,, or go apply at Air Tran as many of my co workers suggested to their friends,, you would be SWA when the dust settles

#2 I was told by a hiring committee person,, that do to FAA regulations and homeland security ,,blah blah blah,, airlines can no longer take on resumes for positions that dont need to be filled, this rule is the reason SWA can no longer take employee recomendations(BS)...so it is a watch and hope, when they open up the resumes make sure you get on the list.... I also heard that SWA will be hiring a decent amount next year as in 8-10 new hire flight attendant classes...

Remember that the last time they did it the computers crashed,, so be vigilant... The pilots opened theirs up for 1500 and got 7500 applications,, before the govt put their foot in SWA was recieving over 100,000 apps a year for flight attendant,,again that was told to me,,, so hang in there,, good luck,,

The "don't collect resumes" thing isn't only airlines. Blame the Department of Labor... Under the OFCCP, they require companies doing business with the government to collect and submit demographic data (ethnicity, gender, etc) from all applicants.

Some corporations have simply adopted the same policy -- don't accept resumes unless there's a posting, and incresaingly, force everyone to use an online applicant system which ensures compliance with all the federal and state guidelines, even if they're not currently bidding on government work.

Gotta say, it gets even more frustrating when you go to a career fair, see applicants walking around with a stack of resumes (that they paid money to get printed on fancy paper...), and finding that few employers can even accept them.

Guess the DOL got worried that they might be marked up with comments about the person's race, gender, size, tatoos, piercings, or the recruiter's gay-dar going off...

Do not believe all the hype about SWA, get ready to be brain washed in Dallas, They will tell you how lucky and fortunate u r to be hired out a million applicants, the idea is to make you feel like you owe them something so they can work you to death, they like to put down other airlines, very arrogant and unprofessional not realizing that in this industry things can turn quickly, SWA and their arrogance needs to be humbled.

Do not believe all the hype about SWA, get ready to be brain washed in Dallas, They will tell you how lucky and fortunate u r to be hired out a million applicants, the idea is to make you feel like you owe them something so they can work you to death, they like to put down other airlines, very arrogant and unprofessional not realizing that in this industry things can turn quickly, SWA and their arrogance needs to be humbled.

Wow, sounds like someone who got rejected from SWA,,, get a life dman... There is no other airline to work for at this time,, SWA FA's get the most flexible schedules, more pay, more benefits than any other....I started with SWA was a little company and we used to get called trailer park, cattle car ,, looked down at like second grade citizens... So yea its ok to be arrogant,, we deserve it.,,,

So, what exactly are you suggesting? That this person would be better off becoming a flight attendant at another airline? If so, you're completely out of touch with reality.. Your opinions of Southwest as a company aside, there's no better airline to work for period. It's not like,.. an opinion.. It's just a fact. In any possible measure of a quality employer, you can't make the case any airline is better than Southwest.. I've never even heard anyone TRY to make an argument to the contrary.

Feel free to follow up your statements with some supporting facts or information.. I would LOVE to hear about how Delta, America, United, or some regional is a better employer than Southwest Airlines..

SWA Flight attendants are probably the best paid in the industry. At your 5 year anniversary you get a $5.00 RAISE (SWA FA's bet paid by the trip not the hour) So a raise of $5.00 is pretty darn good. . I don't think that happens at any of the MAJORS. Top out is about 10-12 years and most topped out FA's are making good bucks. So after topping out FA's expect to make about $60,000 per year. Not bad at all .

If I'm not mistaken, most all airlines pay about the same to their F/A's.. SWA is known for how wonderful they supposibly treat their employees but when it comes to F/A, I see and hear a lot turn around.. I know a lot of F/A's at Delta that came from other airlines, SWA, AirTran, regional's, other majors etc... They say they prefer working for the legacy carriers because they get paid well and get to see the world. I'm not a F/A but I think it makes sense.

S/N: I hear this from a pretty good amount of pilots too, but I'm not a pilot either so I can't say for sure if it's true or not.

If I'm not mistaken, most all airlines pay about the same to their F/A's.. SWA is known for how wonderful they supposibly treat their employees but when it comes to F/A, I see and hear a lot turn around.. I know a lot of F/A's at Delta that came from other airlines, SWA, AirTran, regional's, other majors etc... They say they prefer working for the legacy carriers because they get paid well and get to see the world. I'm not a F/A but I think it makes sense.

S/N: I hear this from a pretty good amount of pilots too, but I'm not a pilot either so I can't say for sure if it's true or not.

Lookie here,, AVtech stirring a pot that isnt his..lmao.... wow,,, well lets just say that I know F/A's from all the majors,, not one,, I mean not one can touch the pay/flexibility of SWA at this time... so to say most airlines pay the same is simply a gross misunderstanding of that game... I will be nice and leave it at that ,, nice job AV,, I am not biting,, :lol:

Reactions: 2 people

Yeah it's actually not true. Southwest FAs actually make more money. There's hardly any turn around at all either.

Reactions: 2 people
Not trying to stir any pots, just repeating what I've heard... Like I said, I'm not a F/A and truly have no definitive answer of how or when they work. All I know is that SWA employees tell me that there is a new hire F/A class damn near every month so I used the logic that there must be a pretty big turn because SWA doesn't seem to be growing fast enough to be hiring F/A's galor.. And I don't know that payscale at SWA for F/A but, like I said earlier, I know a pretty good bit of delta F/A's that run international routes and they make a killing considering its classified as an unskilled labor (please don't take offense), somewhere up in the 40's / hr.. Or so I am told.. But I am also told that if you are on a domestic route then you don't make quite as much..

Like I said, I don't know the facts, I'm just repeating what I've been told. Oh, I almost forgot, a few of them are ex SWA F/A's that left at their own will, but maybe they are all lying to me, who knows :)

Not trying to stir any pots, just repeating what I've heard... Like I said, I'm not a F/A and truly have no definitive answer of how or when they work. All I know is that SWA employees tell me that there is a new hire F/A class damn near every month so I used the logic that there must be a pretty big turn because SWA doesn't seem to be growing fast enough to be hiring F/A's galor.. And I don't know that payscale at SWA for F/A but, like I said earlier, I know a pretty good bit of delta F/A's that run international routes and they make a killing considering its classified as an unskilled labor (please don't take offense), somewhere up in the 40's / hr.. Or so I am told.. But I am also told that if you are on a domestic route then you don't make quite as much..

Like I said, I don't know the facts, I'm just repeating what I've been told. Oh, I almost forgot, a few of them are ex SWA F/A's that left at their own will, but maybe they are all lying to me, who knows :)

It's odd because prior to a short hiring spurt only very recently, Southwest has not hired any flight attendants since 2008,... Not sure what Southwest flight attendants you're talking to. You seem to have some bad info/sources.

I actually do have in my possession the union agreements of the SWA FAs as well as the agreements of a number of other carriers' FAs.. There's a sizable disparity in pay rate from Southwest FAs and the next best one, as well as better work rules.

As you even acknowledge yourself, you don't REALLY have any info outside of (apparently bad) 3rd party info. Why are you a participant in this discussion? You're just sort of on here perpetuating misnomers and potentially confusing a prospective new employee.

Well, it has somewhat educated me on the facts about SWA F/A's, even though I haven't really learned anything... So, do you have every airlines payscale and agreement with you for F/A's?? I'm just curious of the top out and benefits comparison. That way I can go back to the Delta F/A's, and any other for that matter, and set them straight when they tell me such stories :)