AirTran Flight Attendants

Thanks jimntx :)

Well gee where are the AT FA's??? I thought for sure they'd be around, and excited about the merger. I have a couple AT friends here in ATL but seems they haven't been told much. They said they weren't even told about WN purchasing them, they heard about it on the news like everyone else!

That method of pay is pretty interesting. Thanks for the info.. Well hopefully I ace this OH. Commuting SUX!! I've done it for the past year and I'm EXHAUSTED. I love to fly but commuting is a whole other world, puts a damper on everything - costs too much and takes too much time away from family and home (more so than just doing trips, and returning home after 2,3,4dy trip).

I've flown for 4yrs now and know that reserve is the pitts at most AL's. I was just wondering the standard for ATL FA's recently. Well!! I guess I will have to wait and hopefully find out :) Take care..............

;)

I am a MCO based FA for AirTran and the pay scale is based on hours flown block to block, NOT segment pay as someone has mentioned. We are currently in negotioations for a new CBA which began 2 years ago. Our negotiations have stalled as AirTran FA's union has filed for mediation with little hope of a TA anytime before Southwest takes over. We want a new contract before the closing of the purchase. We will be operated as "Southwest Airlines operated by AirTran" until the certificate is merged with Southwest's aprox one year later. It would be nice to have this new agreement signed, because there is a slight possibility that we would not be able to "switch" over to Southwest's TWU CBA. It is true that once closing happens The AFA ceases to represent AirTran FA's and the TWU becomes our representation with Southwest Management and our group would have to negotiate for a CBA with the AirTran work group, Or Southwest could just say you can we will honor the one currently in place with Southwest FA's. Nobody knows. We all have to just wait and see. Both unions will be working together on the merging of the senority list and currently have had friendly negotiations with that reguard.
As for getting a job here and reserve time I would expect it to be very short as both management teams have expressed plans to continue growing with or without the merger/buyout. Big change from the last few years of non growth from both companies.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that once the merger is complete and WN/AT is awarded "single-carrier" status--i.e., there is just one airline, not two different airlines flying under one name--the law requires that represented employees in a given craft be represented by a single union. A craft being pilot, flight attendant, mechanic, or agent, etc.

If I am correct, you definitely want the WN flight attendant contract to prevail. :lol:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that once the merger is complete and WN/AT is awarded "single-carrier" status--i.e., there is just one airline, not two different airlines flying under one name--the law requires that represented employees in a given craft be represented by a single union. A craft being pilot, flight attendant, mechanic, or agent, etc.

If I am correct, you definitely want the WN flight attendant contract to prevail. :lol:
[/quote

Keep in mind that closing of the business deal on the purchase of AirTran and the actual merging of the FAA Certificate are two different and seperate actions. Once the closing has happened, Southwest holdings will own and operate two different companies with two different operating certificates until the FAA approves and accepts one (FL's) certificate. Several things have to be completed and approved before this happens. One requirement, I believe, is that 20% of the surrendering carrier's fleet must be painted in the livery of the surviving operators fleet and other odd things. Any way, Southwest will be operating AirTran as a seprate company until the merging of the certificates for what usually takes a year to complete.

We went through this with the Valujet merger, for approx a year we were AirTran Airways and VJ was AirTran Airlines "operated by ValuJet" For FA's there were two different payscales JV was segment pay i.e. trip pay and Airways was block to block. When VJ wanted to surrender the Airways certificate the FAA said no and wanted the VJ Cert turned in instead. There were many reasons stated for this. The main one, I think, was that most of the Airways management was retained.

I am a MCO based FA for AirTran and the pay scale is based on hours flown block to block, NOT segment pay as someone has mentioned. We are currently in negotioations for a new CBA which began 2 years ago. Our negotiations have stalled as AirTran FA's union has filed for mediation with little hope of a TA anytime before Southwest takes over. We want a new contract before the closing of the purchase. We will be operated as "Southwest Airlines operated by AirTran" until the certificate is merged with Southwest's aprox one year later. It would be nice to have this new agreement signed, because there is a slight possibility that we would not be able to "switch" over to Southwest's TWU CBA. It is true that once closing happens The AFA ceases to represent AirTran FA's and the TWU becomes our representation with Southwest Management and our group would have to negotiate for a CBA with the AirTran work group, Or Southwest could just say you can we will honor the one currently in place with Southwest FA's. Nobody knows. We all have to just wait and see. Both unions will be working together on the merging of the senority list and currently have had friendly negotiations with that reguard.
As for getting a job here and reserve time I would expect it to be very short as both management teams have expressed plans to continue growing with or without the merger/buyout. Big change from the last few years of non growth from both companies.

N175, Hi! Are you still around?? Just wanted to let yawl know I went back 3 TIMES and finally got hired by AT. So happy! It took a lot of effort leaving base that much, there was an OH then group interview then F2F.

Thanks so much for all the info :) I knew it couldn't be so cut and dry, negotiations usually mean that both sides have to compromise, meaning someone won't get everything they want. But it's ok. I've had AFA in the past and never that pleased with them. I think TWU is GREAT (from what I've heard). It could certainly go either way but I'm so used to the constant changes in the airline biz! I got the PERFECT line this month as a commuter, all 4dy trips with most ending early in the day (so it was commutable), only to learn that my request for Leave had been approved, ha! NOW they want to approve it lol...

I wonder if Union is stalling because of the takeover? They probably think, well they're getting a new way of life anyway.. ? Are they really removing the 1st Class cabins from all the aircraft? Some pax's may not like that but I still think it's a great merge of companies (acquisition). Anyway Orlando is great, if I had to commute I certainly wouldn't mind being there. I saw the new destinations online, that is so exciting and can probably get to most of them from MCO base. Well I KNOW I am in for rough times on reserve but it will be what I make it B) Talk soon, fly safe!!

Keep in mind that closing of the business deal on the purchase of AirTran and the actual merging of the FAA Certificate are two different and seperate actions. Once the closing has happened, Southwest holdings will own and operate two different companies with two different operating certificates until the FAA approves and accepts one (FL's) certificate. Several things have to be completed and approved before this happens. One requirement, I believe, is that 20% of the surrendering carrier's fleet must be painted in the livery of the surviving operators fleet and other odd things. Any way, Southwest will be operating AirTran as a seprate company until the merging of the certificates for what usually takes a year to complete.

We went through this with the Valujet merger, for approx a year we were AirTran Airways and VJ was AirTran Airlines "operated by ValuJet" For FA's there were two different payscales JV was segment pay i.e. trip pay and Airways was block to block. When VJ wanted to surrender the Airways certificate the FAA said no and wanted the VJ Cert turned in instead. There were many reasons stated for this. The main one, I think, was that most of the Airways management was retained.
[/quote]

...I just saw this post, wow you were there for VJ merge? That is so interesting to hear from a business standpoint how they actually combine the companies. I would think merging computer systems is difficult too. The WN colors in Atlanta will be ssoooo pretty! I wonder about the change in uniforms? It would be nice to still keep a business attire as well as khaki's. But of course either is fine to me. I have another question for you.. Do they ever post crash pad info in the MCO crew room? Honestly at our OH we were told upfront that we would be flying out of ATL, but I'm always ready for changes so I like to be prepared :D

N175, Hi! Are you still around?? Just wanted to let yawl know I went back 3 TIMES and finally got hired by AT. So happy! It took a lot of effort leaving base that much, there was an OH then group interview then F2F.

Thanks so much for all the info :) I knew it couldn't be so cut and dry, negotiations usually mean that both sides have to compromise, meaning someone won't get everything they want. But it's ok. I've had AFA in the past and never that pleased with them. I think TWU is GREAT (from what I've heard). It could certainly go either way but I'm so used to the constant changes in the airline biz! I got the PERFECT line this month as a commuter, all 4dy trips with most ending early in the day (so it was commutable), only to learn that my request for Leave had been approved, ha! NOW they want to approve it lol...

I wonder if Union is stalling because of the takeover? They probably think, well they're getting a new way of life anyway.. ? Are they really removing the 1st Class cabins from all the aircraft? Some pax's may not like that but I still think it's a great merge of companies (acquisition). Anyway Orlando is great, if I had to commute I certainly wouldn't mind being there. I saw the new destinations online, that is so exciting and can probably get to most of them from MCO base. Well I KNOW I am in for rough times on reserve but it will be what I make it B) Talk soon, fly safe!!

OMG you think the TWU is great...lol I hope for your sake they are ...Just read the AA mechanics board to see how they like the TWU. I always thought the IAM was the worst airline union out there until I read into the TWU..Well no matter good luck to you...

OMG you think the TWU is great...lol I hope for your sake they are ...Just read the AA mechanics board to see how they like the TWU. I always thought the IAM was the worst airline union out there until I read into the TWU..Well no matter good luck to you...

Hahaa! Well I may have to skip over there and see what's been said about TWU.. And wow I always thought IAM was one of the best, isn't that ExpressJet's union? Their fa's contract reads like that of a major airline. Well thanks for your good luck. It's funny what we value after so much time, and what we know is really important (after we've lost it). I'll tell you after leaving an airline based out of my home, trying to get better pay and conditions.. I'll take the so-so airline where I was ANYDAY over commuting. I hate it! Less time at home (try 9-10 days out of the entire mo), ridiculous money spent on hotel bills in a city with virtually no crash pads. It sucks! I think now, as long as I get a paycheck and decent amount of days off, I'm fine with that when I can fly from home. At my last interview with AT they told us we'd definitely fly from Atl, yaaaay!! :D

Latest posts