AirTran Flight Attendants

MichelleTheFa

Nov 30, 2010
I'm a current flight attendant with another airline and will be attending an open house next week.. Really excited, especially since the acquisition by Southwest (?WN). I just wanted to start a topic for the FA's, the mechanics have such a strong forum going...

My main question is: What's it like being on reserve currently? Are you flying over or under guarantee? Are you working every single reserve day? What destinations are reserves getting mostly? How many points (or occurances) can you get in a year before being fired? Did yawl really picket at ATL airport recently? What was that about?

What are you being told about the merger with SW (?WN)? Will the AT name go away completely? How will this change your operations daily? XM radio still? Do you now have to train for other AC's? Will you eventually operate under THEIR contract? I'm dying to know and excited about the opportunity to work at AT and also be based at home again in ATL. Let's get a discussion going!

Thanks! :D

Michelle, I don't think I've ever seen an Airtran f/a post on here, and I've been around several years. I'm an AA flight attendant. I'm junior at AA. Though we don't serve straight reserve at AA, I can tell you that being a junior f/a attendant on reserve is not all bad. You will get assignments that it might take you several years of seniority to hold by bidding. And, you will get a variety of assignments. It helps you to find out if the f/a job is for you or not.

As far as the contract...yes, once the guvmint has declared WN and AT to be a single carrier, there will be a single contract for all f/as. It's Federal law. You will be pleased with the WN contract. Though the method of pay will take some getting used to. They are paid 'by the trip." A trip is defined as (if I remember correctly) 243 air miles or portion thereof. So, a flight from ATL to BHM (approx. 170 miles) would be one trip. The flight back would be one trip. A flight from ATL to DFW would be 2 or 3 trips. If you take the total pay for that flight and divide it by the time it took, you will find that on an hourly basis, WN flight attendants are the highest paid domestic f/as in the U.S.

Also, hope and pray that the WN corporate culture extends to the AT portion of the company. I've never met an unhappy WN employee. I live in Dallas (so, I know several of them socially) and I frequently commute on WN to St. Louis where I am based. Nobody is that good an actor. They love working for the company.

If you get hired and you live in ATL, good for you. I know that after 6 years of the short commute from Dallas to St. Louis, I am ready to be based in Dallas again. Good luck!

Michelle, I don't think I've ever seen an Airtran f/a post on here, and I've been around several years. I'm an AA flight attendant. I'm junior at AA. Though we don't serve straight reserve at AA, I can tell you that being a junior f/a attendant on reserve is not all bad. You will get assignments that it might take you several years of seniority to hold by bidding. And, you will get a variety of assignments. It helps you to find out if the f/a job is for you or not.

As far as the contract...yes, once the guvmint has declared WN and AT to be a single carrier, there will be a single contract for all f/as. It's Federal law. You will be pleased with the WN contract. Though the method of pay will take some getting used to. They are paid 'by the trip." A trip is defined as (if I remember correctly) 243 air miles or portion thereof. So, a flight from ATL to BHM (approx. 170 miles) would be one trip. The flight back would be one trip. A flight from ATL to DFW would be 2 or 3 trips. If you take the total pay for that flight and divide it by the time it took, you will find that on an hourly basis, WN flight attendants are the highest paid domestic f/as in the U.S.

Also, hope and pray that the WN corporate culture extends to the AT portion of the company. I've never met an unhappy WN employee. I live in Dallas (so, I know several of them socially) and I frequently commute on WN to St. Louis where I am based. Nobody is that good an actor. They love working for the company.

If you get hired and you live in ATL, good for you. I know that after 6 years of the short commute from Dallas to St. Louis, I am ready to be based in Dallas again. Good luck!

Thanks jimntx :)

Well gee where are the AT FA's??? I thought for sure they'd be around, and excited about the merger. I have a couple AT friends here in ATL but seems they haven't been told much. They said they weren't even told about WN purchasing them, they heard about it on the news like everyone else!

That method of pay is pretty interesting. Thanks for the info.. Well hopefully I ace this OH. Commuting SUX!! I've done it for the past year and I'm EXHAUSTED. I love to fly but commuting is a whole other world, puts a damper on everything - costs too much and takes too much time away from family and home (more so than just doing trips, and returning home after 2,3,4dy trip).

I've flown for 4yrs now and know that reserve is the pitts at most AL's. I was just wondering the standard for ATL FA's recently. Well!! I guess I will have to wait and hopefully find out :) Take care..............

;)

Thanks jimntx :)

Well gee where are the AT FA's??? I thought for sure they'd be around, and excited about the merger. I have a couple AT friends here in ATL but seems they haven't been told much. They said they weren't even told about WN purchasing them, they heard about it on the news like everyone else!

That method of pay is pretty interesting. Thanks for the info.. Well hopefully I ace this OH. Commuting SUX!! I've done it for the past year and I'm EXHAUSTED. I love to fly but commuting is a whole other world, puts a damper on everything - costs too much and takes too much time away from family and home (more so than just doing trips, and returning home after 2,3,4dy trip).

I've flown for 4yrs now and know that reserve is the pitts at most AL's. I was just wondering the standard for ATL FA's recently. Well!! I guess I will have to wait and hopefully find out :) Take care..............

;)

Michelle,
I,m not a F/A, I am an AMT for SWA. As it was recomended to the AMT's of AirTran, you may want to call the F/A's union at SWA to try to get those questions answered. There was several AMT's that called our locals and international to get answers to all of their questions as the teamsters union has been and still is keeping them in the dark, no communication from the teamsters to the AMT's.
As far as the employees always happy and likes their job, yes this is fact. And your right, you can't act that good. Our jobs are not perfect, as no job is, however, 99% of the time the co. takes care of the employees.
As far as being notified of WN buying AT, we too were blown away by the announcement on the news. Gary Kelly told us that everyone was sworn to silence, uaually we get little tid bits of info and leaks, but we heard nothing until everyone heard it through the news. Good luck with your O/H...

Michelle,
I,m not a F/A, I am an AMT for SWA. As it was recomended to the AMT's of AirTran, you may want to call the F/A's union at SWA to try to get those questions answered. There was several AMT's that called our locals and international to get answers to all of their questions as the teamsters union has been and still is keeping them in the dark, no communication from the teamsters to the AMT's.
As far as the employees always happy and likes their job, yes this is fact. And your right, you can't act that good. Our jobs are not perfect, as no job is, however, 99% of the time the co. takes care of the employees.
As far as being notified of WN buying AT, we too were blown away by the announcement on the news. Gary Kelly told us that everyone was sworn to silence, uaually we get little tid bits of info and leaks, but we heard nothing until everyone heard it through the news. Good luck with your O/H...

Wow thanks for the tip :D

I will definitely do that, once I hopefully get my foot in the door. I do like to make informed decisions. I also have an interview with US a couple days prior. But as said I would LOVE to be with AT and not have to commute anymore. SWA employees certainly always seem happy. This industry is always what you make it. I like to shine and remain positive.. but it certainly doesn't hurt to have decent pay and working conditions to make the smile on your face REAL. Thanks for the well wishes!

That method of pay is pretty interesting. Thanks for the info..

The origin is of the pay method is very simple. A "trip"--i.e., 243 air miles--is the flying distance between Love Field in Dallas and Hobby Airport in Houston. When WN first started flying that was their only route. That's what the flight attendants flew all day everyday--DAL to HOU, HOU to DAL. They were basically paid for the number of legs they flew that day. All legs were the same length. They've never felt a need to change the pay calculation method. It works for them.

They've never felt a need to change the pay calculation method. It works for them.

Although they still pay by "trip" I thought they got away from 1 flight = 1 trip regardless of distance the flight covers. For example (and just pulling numbers out of thin air), a flight BWI-SEA might pay 5 trips. Was that a bad assumption on my part?

Jim

If you will look back at my original post, I never said that any trip was regardless of distance. It was never that. I specified that 1 trip = 243 air miles, or the distance between DAL and HOU. You will also see that I gave the example that ATL-BHM might be 1 trip, but ATL-DFW would be 2 or 3 trips. The only time I said that 1 flight = 1 trip was in the beginning on DAL-HOU or on a very short flight today--DAL-AUS, DAL-SAT, DAL-HOU, STL-MDW, etc.

Wow thanks for the tip :D

I will definitely do that, once I hopefully get my foot in the door. I do like to make informed decisions. I also have an interview with US a couple days prior. But as said I would LOVE to be with AT and not have to commute anymore. SWA employees certainly always seem happy. This industry is always what you make it. I like to shine and remain positive.. but it certainly doesn't hurt to have decent pay and working conditions to make the smile on your face REAL. Thanks for the well wishes!

Hey Michelle, I don't know if you know, but SWA just announced a week or two ago that they will be hiring hundreds of F/A's and pilots. Just thought you may want to apply at SWA as well as A/T. Yes you may have to commute for a little while, but once the merger is done you may not have to. Just a thought. I don't know what your final airline is that you want to work for. Or if your final decision is determained if you have to commute or not. However, just a little tid-bit if I may; I actually spent 7 1/2 years trying to get on at SWA. This was applying every 6 months for 7 1/2 years. After 5 years of applying, I did start to get a little frushstated, and started to apply to other airlines. Knowing that I really wanted to work at SWA, I was getting offers from NWA, AA, Delta and Canadian Air. I told all these airlines no due to I was hoping to stay in my home state (TX.) 2 weeks after telling Canadian Air no I was called by SWA, interviewed, tested, and was offered employment. It was well worth the wait. If I would have accepted from NWA, I would have been layed off. If AA, layed off and alot of concessions. If Delta-no longer employed. And with Can Air- not sure but they have had some troubles and besides it's too cold up there. Long story short, goto the airline you really want to work for. If it happens to be SWA, then apply at SWA, or do the back door thing and apply at AirTran then the merger happens and you end up at SWA. This really is a fantastic company to work for. SWA really does put the employees first, then customers, then stock holders. It's just so darn hard to get in, but after 15 years I still feel the same about this co. I really do see another 40 years of SWA being around. Plus, this will not be the last airline SWA buys, or aquires. We will grow even more, especially by 2014 when the Wright Amendment finally goes bye-bye. Sorry for rambling on, but for me, holding out for SWA was the best decision of my career. BTW At the time I was offered employment at SWA, they paid the lowest, but they had the absolutely best job security record, and still does. I wish you the very best of luck in your endever. And if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask...

From a financial stability standpoint, there is no better airline to work for than WN. No other airline has (or will) come close to the WN record of 17 straight years without a losing quarter. Whether you get on with the AT portion or the WN classic portion, your future will be pretty much assured.

Hey Michelle, I don't know if you know, but SWA just announced a week or two ago that they will be hiring hundreds of F/A's and pilots. Just thought you may want to apply at SWA as well as A/T. Yes you may have to commute for a little while, but once the merger is done you may not have to. Just a thought. I don't know what your final airline is that you want to work for. Or if your final decision is determained if you have to commute or not. However, just a little tid-bit if I may; I actually spent 7 1/2 years trying to get on at SWA. This was applying every 6 months for 7 1/2 years. After 5 years of applying, I did start to get a little frushstated, and started to apply to other airlines. Knowing that I really wanted to work at SWA, I was getting offers from NWA, AA, Delta and Canadian Air. I told all these airlines no due to I was hoping to stay in my home state (TX.) 2 weeks after telling Canadian Air no I was called by SWA, interviewed, tested, and was offered employment. It was well worth the wait. If I would have accepted from NWA, I would have been layed off. If AA, layed off and alot of concessions. If Delta-no longer employed. And with Can Air- not sure but they have had some troubles and besides it's too cold up there. Long story short, goto the airline you really want to work for. If it happens to be SWA, then apply at SWA, or do the back door thing and apply at AirTran then the merger happens and you end up at SWA. This really is a fantastic company to work for. SWA really does put the employees first, then customers, then stock holders. It's just so darn hard to get in, but after 15 years I still feel the same about this co. I really do see another 40 years of SWA being around. Plus, this will not be the last airline SWA buys, or aquires. We will grow even more, especially by 2014 when the Wright Amendment finally goes bye-bye. Sorry for rambling on, but for me, holding out for SWA was the best decision of my career. BTW At the time I was offered employment at SWA, they paid the lowest, but they had the absolutely best job security record, and still does. I wish you the very best of luck in your endever. And if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask...

No Please! Ramble on!! Lol.. I love the airline industry I always have. I'm at my 4th AL, I've just wanted to try different company cultures. But I've had my eye on WN for a while ;) I've never been able to even apply or never even SEEN an opening for WN. And I've been FA since 2004. I read a lot of industry news online and into various AC's. (when I was young I wanted to be a flighter pilot and fly F-15's lol) The largest plane I'm certified on is the MD 80. I'm excited to learn more.

WOW this merger is the best thing since sliced bread! The companies are just so complimentary (I think so). Their routes are different, so combining them is perfect. Their business plans are similiar, as well as company culture. I know there's question about what will happen with bag fees, XM, Wifi, service cart or no, etc. They will work it out I think. It's great too, because AT has not necessarily had the reputation of treating it's employees very well. (I say that as an outsider looking in, it's just what I've been told by friends working there) So all that doesn't matter now! I would put up with whatever to hold out for the finished merger, and to be HOME again. And I could say it a hundred times, this job is what you make it B)

I'm glad to see airlines come and GROW that have a different way of doing things. The legacy carriers are fine, I mean they've earned their respect for staying around so long. But companies like WN and B9 (B6? I foget), VA.. are coming in with innovative ways of thinking. The good treatment of employees especially is a wonderful way to keep customers coming back. Happy employees carry themselves much better, and are great to be around. You can tell the best companies cause they don't hire often, low attrition. Like World Airways, when'd they hire last? 05?!

The economy HAS to be picking up. So many AL's hiring and merging.. it's an exciting time! I wonder who WN will acquire next? I read here that US might try to outbid WN for AT. But they don't match. WN and AT match. US should be with AA. I used to work for G4. They are good company but I wasn't much accustomed to their culture. I'm sure it makes them money (no RON's alone probably saves the company a million each year). They avoid competition but I think it works for them: to fly places to which no one else caters. I could go on and on too..

Can't believe you held out that long for WN, WOW! That was smart. My mom says I job-hop too much. So perhaps I should've held out for THE ONE. Hahaa.. but hopefully the wait will soon be over :D (?)... You know, WN carried the most passengers in 2009 domestically (84 MILLION), beating out everyone else, even Delta (46 million). I think for 2010 Delta came in 1st (because of NW merger). Numbers like that are certainly nothing to write off, Low Cost Carrier or not.. which makes their coming to ATL even more exciting!

From a financial stability standpoint, there is no better airline to work for than WN. No other airline has (or will) come close to the WN record of 17 straight years without a losing quarter. Whether you get on with the AT portion or the WN classic portion, your future will be pretty much assured.

17YEARS STRAIGHT? Have mercy! Oh please please please, OH is in a few days I will definitely let yawl know how it turns out. I'm so anxious my heart is beating fast... :blink:

17YEARS STRAIGHT? Have mercy! Oh please please please, OH is in a few days I will definitely let yawl know how it turns out. I'm so anxious my heart is beating fast... :blink:

You need to check southwest.com for job postings daily. I believe right now they (SWA) are doing internal applicants only. Once they have all them, then they will go external applicants. SWA will always go internal before external for every position except for maybe interns. It does take alot of time to follow, but it looks like you have the drive. Michelle, I cut 16" of hair off, shaved full beard and mustache off, bought a $500.00 double breasted suit, just to do the interview. After I got hired and see a large amount of mechanics with long hair (to their asses) beards that would have made ZZ-Top jealous, and tatoos showing everywhere, I first thought to myself why did I bother? Now I know they all did the same thing. Do whatever you gotta do to get here, after that it's so casual here its pathetic. Matter fact you better be ready to "PARTY YOUR ____ OFF" SWA throws so many parties every year, it's hard to keep track of. Just had the childrens X-mas party this past Saturday. SWA held back several over nighter maintenance aircraft Friday night and Saturday to keep the hangers empty for the childrens X-mas party. It really is a blast here, and all the stuff you hear in the media about culture here is no joke. I was in your shoes many years ago and thought, "this has to be a gimmic of advertising from the co. to get people to come here." Well it's no gimmic. JUST GET HERE. YOU WILL LOVE IT...

You need to check southwest.com for job postings daily. I believe right now they (SWA) are doing internal applicants only. Once they have all them, then they will go external applicants. SWA will always go internal before external for every position except for maybe interns. It does take alot of time to follow, but it looks like you have the drive. Michelle, I cut 16" of hair off, shaved full beard and mustache off, bought a $500.00 double breasted suit, just to do the interview. After I got hired and see a large amount of mechanics with long hair (to their asses) beards that would have made ZZ-Top jealous, and tatoos showing everywhere, I first thought to myself why did I bother? Now I know they all did the same thing. Do whatever you gotta do to get here, after that it's so casual here its pathetic. Matter fact you better be ready to "PARTY YOUR ____ OFF" SWA throws so many parties every year, it's hard to keep track of. Just had the childrens X-mas party this past Saturday. SWA held back several over nighter maintenance aircraft Friday night and Saturday to keep the hangers empty for the childrens X-mas party. It really is a blast here, and all the stuff you hear in the media about culture here is no joke. I was in your shoes many years ago and thought, "this has to be a gimmic of advertising from the co. to get people to come here." Well it's no gimmic. JUST GET HERE. YOU WILL LOVE IT...

OMG REALLY! Wow that sounds like fun.. Seems they really appreciate the employees. I did go to your website, checked for FA positions. Non yet for external candidates as you mentioned.. but I did sign up to get an email as soon as the position opens. So! I will give it a shot when my chance rolls around :)

I will still pursue AT at the moment however. It would get me in the door and get me home :) Well! Going to review my applications and whatnot. Have the US interview tomorrow. Will update yawl on the AT OH in a few days.

ZZ-TOP... I love it! Hahaa...

Latest posts