Fll Update

phllax

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Looks like US will be getting E8 & E10 in FLL, and are currently negotiating to use E6 when Air Tran doesn't use it. This is all a pre-cursor for AirTran going to F and United moving over to E, with E becoming the Star Alliance Terminal. Some Toronto Air Canada flights could move to E, but surprisingly most Canadian flights are not being pre-cleared (in pre-clearance airports), including some YYZ flights.

The security checkpoint in FLL Terminal E is going to be re-designed. The current sundry store is history by February. A new 7 lane security checkpoint will take its place there and in the current location. The old Ionisphere Club space may soon be used again!

Air Midwest is indeed history in Florida and they are looking at the possibility of sending PI's Dash 8's back, especially to the Bahamas, as they have been having reliability issues with Bahamas Air. The PLS flight will probably start as a Bahamas Air codeshare, and then become US operated when new aircraft start to be re-delivered after exiting bankruptcy.

phllax said:
Looks like US will be getting E8 & E10 in FLL, and are currently negotiating to use E6 when Air Tran doesn't use it. This is all a pre-cursor for AirTran going to F and United moving over to E, with E becoming the Star Alliance Terminal. Some Toronto Air Canada flights could move to E, but surprisingly most Canadian flights are not being pre-cleared (in pre-clearance airports), including some YYZ flights.

The security checkpoint in FLL Terminal E is going to be re-designed. The current sundry store is history by February. A new 7 lane security checkpoint will take its place there and in the current location. The old Ionisphere Club space may soon be used again!

Air Midwest is indeed history in Florida and they are looking at the possibility of sending PI's Dash 8's back, especially to the Bahamas, as they have been having reliability issues with Bahamas Air. The PLS flight will probably start as a Bahamas Air codeshare, and then become US operated when new aircraft start to be re-delivered after exiting bankruptcy.
[post="230837"][/post]​
:up: thanks for the info. Finally some good news. Fly into FLL often and it seems agents are pretty psyched about this happening. Likes hope US does it right. The need a US club and hopefully, eventually LAS, LA, SF service

phllax said:

[post="230837"][/post]​

It's not too surprising that AirCanada doesn't pre-clear out of Canadian cities. I don't think that US Immigrations and Customs has a presence in the big AirCanada terminals in those cities. In order to make convenient connections, AirCanada customers all use their own terminal and therefore can't pre-clear.

The big question is how the USAirways operation will interface with Immigration and Customs in FLL. Any idea how this will work initially? Sounds like it will be a big pain unless the E concourse is restructured to accomodate int'l arrivals. I guess I will know soon enough. In February I get to operate KIN-FLL and SJO-FLL and will find out if the immigration & customs authorities in FLL are accomodating to crews as in PHL, or abusive to them as in PIT. (I hope all those PIT Customs and Immigration folks are now being transferred to Adak, Alaska as a big "Thank You....NOT" from all the USAirways crews.)

phllax said:
Some Toronto Air Canada flights could move to E, but surprisingly most Canadian flights are not being pre-cleared (in pre-clearance airports), including some YYZ flights.
[post="230837"][/post]​

Good Info.

On the Canada pre-clearance... YYZ is under a huge reconstruction project right now, where the former AC Terminal 2 is being replaced (and the former Canadian Terminal 1, also used by AC after the merger, has already been decomissioned and knocked down). I am sure that officials there are bumping flights around as facilities are added/taken away... Thus varying flights of pre-clearance status.

nycbusdriver said:
In February I get to operate KIN-FLL and SJO-FLL and will find out if the immigration & customs authorities in FLL are accomodating to crews as in PHL, or abusive to them as in PIT. (I hope all those PIT Customs and Immigration folks are now being transferred to Adak, Alaska as a big "Thank You....NOT" from all the USAirways crews.)
[post="230871"][/post]​

Why should crew members get any different treatment than anyone else crossing a border?

Other than most places having a crew line, they shouldn't. But neither should they get extra scrutiny.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Other than most places having a crew line, they shouldn't. But neither should they get extra scrutiny.

Jim
[post="230930"][/post]​

Having flown international for several years now, every airport accomodates crews with expedited handling in one way or another. Except PIT.

The scrutiny is the same, it's just that crews normally don't have the lines. Clue, my guess is that whatever business you are in, there are perks that go with the job. Give up your perks, and I will happily wait on line with you at customs.

I remember last year we had a 9 hour overnight in YUL and it took a good 35 minutes to clear customs and get out to the hotel van WITH an expedited crew lane. We are not getting paid and on our FAA rest. That time we are supposed to be in our rooms RESTING and not still clearing security/customs.

nycbusdriver said:
Having flown international for several years now, every airport accomodates crews with expedited handling in one way or another. Except PIT.

The scrutiny is the same, it's just that crews normally don't have the lines. Clue, my guess is that whatever business you are in, there are perks that go with the job. Give up your perks, and I will happily wait on line with you at customs.
[post="230937"][/post]​

The logic does not follow.

Unless and until US starts paying each aiport with a customs clearance facility for the crew line, it's my (taxpayer) money that's paying for your expedited service, not your employer.

I probably cross borders more often than many reserve crews (and some lineholding oceanic pilots), so should I get a free pass, too?

ClueByFour said:

Unless and until US starts paying each aiport with a customs clearance facility for the crew line, it's my (taxpayer) money that's paying for your expedited service, not your employer.

I probably cross borders more often than many reserve crews (and some lineholding oceanic pilots), so should I get a free pass, too?
[post="230959"][/post]​

How about thr FAR's be changed for crew rest to begin only when crew reaches hotel and flight crew continues to be payed until they exit the airport on international layovers. You can keep the tax dollars and pay with higher fares.

ClueByFour said:

Unless and until US starts paying each airport with a customs clearance facility for the crew line, it's my (taxpayer) money that's paying for your expedited service, not your employer.

[post="230959"][/post]​

Clue,

I generally agree with your posts, but not on this one.

On T/A, if I recall correctly, when reentering the US, the INS must check off each and every member of the crew on the General Declaration. This requires that one inspector must process the crew as a whole with a single document.

Given your travel habits, you no doubt have seen PHL immigration and customs at approximately 3PM. Three or four US crews, plus a LH crew, may all be entering at the same time. Now try having hundreds of passengers attempting to navigate around 60 plus uniformed crew members blocking a single line while waiting for random INS officers holding different crews' paperwork.

So in many cases, the immigration lane for crew adds to operational efficiency.

JMHO

Clue,
PORTION DELETED. What foolishness! I agree with much you say, but somebody spiked your eggnog too strong. Maybe you could continue that kind of dribble after the holidays.

Oh btw, lets cut out the line for um's, old folks, and disabled. Let THEM stand in line. Why should MY tax dollars pay for a bunch of brats, cripples, and whinny old people? See how foolish you sound? :angry: :down:

MOD NOTE: 1ST, YOU REALLY NEED A REFRESHER IN BOARD RULES....

firstamendment said:
Clue,PORTION DELETED I agree with much you say, but somebody spiked your eggnog too strong. Maybe you could continue that kind of dribble after the holidays.

Oh btw, lets cut out the line for um's, old folks, and disabled. Let THEM stand in line. Why should MY tax dollars pay for a bunch of brats, cripples, and whinny old people? See how foolish you sound? :angry: :down:
[post="231013"][/post]​

Where can I find a check-in line at PIT, PHL, FLL for old people? Disabled? Cripples? Or, are you drawing a comparison between US crews and brats, cripples, and "whinny" old people? I don't think it's the latter (and no, I don't think US crews are brats, cripples, or "whinny" old people, but this post begs for something that cheap).

You can't. Your point is pretty much shot. It's very simple, really: when crossing a border, there is absolutely no difference between the threat that a crew poses and that anyone else poses. Zero. Nada. Now, allow me to address the convience factor:

Bud8EE said:
How about thr FAR's be changed for crew rest to begin only when crew reaches hotel and flight crew continues to be payed until they exit the airport on international layovers. You can keep the tax dollars and pay with higher fares.
[post="231013"][/post]​

I actually do think the FARs should require that crew rest not begin until the crew actually reaches their accomodations (domestically or international). However, your point lost a whole slew of credibility when you brought up the "getting paid" deal--like many flight and cabin crewmembers, I spend a rather silly amount of time in transit from point A to point B, and I'm not paid while I'm doing it. Going to the airport is part of the job. Standing in security lines (and immigration lines) is part of the job.

The fare thing does not bother me one way or the other. 75% of my international travel is employer paid, and typically in a premium cabin (because, ironically enough, it allows for a productive workday without the need to rest upon arrival). This allows me to enjoy free or upgraded travel when I'm on my own dime (perhaps the latter is the compensation for standing in security and immigration lines several hours per week).

Besides which, from what I've seen, particularly to the islands, US should be making money hand over fist on what they are charging right now (consider that PHL to BDI is about 400 miles less than PHL-SFO, and then look at the fares).