Fll Update

FLL int'l arrivals shouldn't be a problem in the afternoon, as most of the Canada flights arrive by noon, and then again at night. AA stopping int'l flights will also help. What will become a problem is when they add additional frequencies and international (it's a matter of time), and or Spirit times their flights at roughly the same time as US. Remember, no renovations have started in Terminal 4 yet, but when they do, they will be working 24/7 until completed.

Of course this would not have been a problem had MIA been chosen, as there pretty much is a STAR Alliance terminal but the landing fees are sky high, which is why MIA see's mostly 737-300's. However, everyone knows what a pain MIA is.

ClueByFour said:
It's very simple, really: when crossing a border, there is absolutely no difference between the threat that a crew poses and that anyone else poses.
[post="231070"][/post]​
I disagree with that. Flight crews have been much more extensively screened than the travelling public-- for example, flight crew are required by the FAA to have a 10-year background check before they can even get hired by an airline, and are all fingerprinted. The airlines and the feds (and even that day's fellow flight crew with whom they are working, who could perhaps detect if something is "wrong" or out of the ordinary with someone) have a much better idea who an average flight crew member is than they do the average passenger.

In any case, I too am puzzled by your hostility to crew lines. An airport is part of a flight crew member's workplace. A good friend of mine works in an institution (non-aviation) that attracts lots of tourists. There is a cafeteria there and guess what, there is a special "employee only" line that lets the employees cut in front of the tourist / visitor lines to get to the food. Would you have a problem with that arrangement? I see it-- and crew lines at customs and immigration-- as simply a way to let employees work more efficiently. Duty times would have to be extended if crew regularly had to wait an hour to clear customs, leading to less time they can be on duty to fly before they bust the limits.

Do you have a problem with crew being able to have priority at security checkpoints as well? Back to my friend-- in his building there is a security checkpoint. Guess what; employees get priority over the tourists and visistors there as well. (And, it is a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT facility-- the horror! Taxpayer waste!)

And the other day I was in line at a movie theater and guess what-- some employee reporting to work had the gall to actually cut in front of the line to get in and go to work! He should have stood in line like the rest of us, for the priviliage of entering his workplace, right?

All airline workers undergo the background check not just the flight crew. Everytime your SIDA badge comes up for renewal you must undergo fingerprinting and background check once again, it is a continous process.

Even Charlotte/Douglas has an employee only line at the checkpoint to ensure all workers get to work on time.

ClueByFour said:
I actually do think the FARs should require that crew rest not begin until the crew actually reaches their accomodations (domestically or international). However, your point lost a whole slew of credibility when you brought up the "getting paid" deal--like many flight and cabin crewmembers, I spend a rather silly amount of time in transit from point A to point B, and I'm not paid while I'm doing it. Going to the airport is part of the job. Standing in security lines (and immigration lines) is part of the job.

The fare thing does not bother me one way or the other. 75% of my international travel is employer paid, and typically in a premium cabin (because, ironically enough, it allows for a productive workday without the need to rest upon arrival). This allows me to enjoy free or upgraded travel when I'm on my own dime (perhaps the latter is the compensation for standing in security and immigration lines several hours per week).

Besides which, from what I've seen, particularly to the islands, US should be making money hand over fist on what they are charging right now (consider that PHL to BDI is about 400 miles less than PHL-SFO, and then look at the fares).
[post="231070"][/post]​

When you show for your shift, I am sure you don't wait in line to go in the front door of your office. The airport is the place of business for the flight crews just like your office. They go to the front of the line domestically for this reason and should be afforded they same treatment internationally, which they are. In reality there should be out of sight screening and entry points for crewmembers to access the gate area. There is a whole other slew of time "in transit" they don't get paid for that is part of the job.

US's fares to BDI aren't high their fare to SFO is rediculously low and is a result of over capacity due to a lack of dicipline in the industry to match capacity with demand due to a collaborative effort of testorone induced mismanagement. GM. Ford and Chrystler try to increase market share but they tend not to go on production benges at the expense of the share holders so they can see who has the ability to bleed the most and extract the most out of their employees.