Freedom Air - RJ's

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/22/2002 7:44:15 PM RJStud wrote:

They are not SCABS, they are an alter-ego replacement airline. They are still scum in my book though!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Depending on the dictionary you reference, you DO NOT have to cross a picket line to be a scab. Fly in comfort knowing that this type of company can coerce a pilot to fly an aircraft he feels is unsafe, or into unsafe conditions, by threatening to fire him if he doesn't.

While not defending Ornstein's actions here, I do have to make a point. Skywest is not a union carrier. I have flown them quite frequently while travelling out West, and not once have I felt unsafe. An airline forcing a pilot to fly unsafe aircraft is suicide at a corporate level. Witness ValuJet. The reason the company merged and took AirTran's name was no one would fly them anymore. And that accident was not due to an unsafe aircraft. This is still a FAR 121 airline, subject to everything an ALPA carrier is, not some cargo charter outfit flying 135 in the middle of the night, in a snowstorm, with airframe anti-icing inoperative. Saying that management will force them to fly an unsafe aircraft or fire them is probably pushing the envelope a bit here.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/22/2002 8:58:03 PM N628AU wrote:

While not defending Ornstein's actions here, I do have to make a point. Skywest is not a union carrier. I have flown them quite frequently while travelling out West, and not once have I felt unsafe. An airline forcing a pilot to fly unsafe aircraft is suicide at a corporate level. Witness ValuJet. The reason the company merged and took AirTran's name was no one would fly them anymore. And that accident was not due to an unsafe aircraft.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I think you need to consider the source. JetBlu's CEO isn't known in the industry as somebody who ignores safety (although those Morris pilots needed a little retraining at SWA..