Friday night in Charlotte

Isn't there a weight limit problem on RJ's that prevents bags to travel on the plane with a full passenger load? If so, it might have been smart for USAir to have trucks standing by. Your thoughts would be welcome.

Or, they could offer service that they can complete with bags and people. Buy bigger planes or weight restrict the flight in reservations. But the crap that goes on today has to stop.

I sincerely hope this gets sorted out TODAY. PHL, you were doing so well...don't drop the ball now!

Actually PHX was worse than PHL this year. Of course you had some claims on all the PHL flights, but nothing like last year. PHX on the other hand was taking about 20-30 on each flight from Fri-Sun.
As of Sun afternoon we had about 100 claims open and probably 70 were on the HP side of things. Most of them seemed to come in on the next flight, but with only 2 flights a day, it wasnt pretty. Finally Sun PM we got a cart load of expedites from CO and 1 from UA from PHX.

ON the other hand, what is it going to take to get MANAGEMENT to COMPREHEND you need more than 2 people in baggage over the holiday week? I was working night shift (3-1130pm) on Fr/Sa/Su and it was a total zoo down there. With 2 agents on duty, about all they can do is sit at the desk and take claims to put in the computer. They dont have time to sort bags leftover (late bags that need delivering/misconx/volunteers/standbys) all of them dumped in front of the office waiting to be gone thru. Fr I left at 445am, the other gate closing agent stayed until 645am and the 2 baggage girls (who were off at midnight) ended up leaving about 7am. Same thing next night, I left at 230am and they stayed until the next am. Sun when I came in at 1030am the manager was there helping, but no one else had been called in early to help. (His excuse was no one signed up for overtime, yet they didnt ASK anyone either!) I dont understand why management has to continue scheduling HOLIDAY WEEK with this type of staffing? I can tell you no one wants to sign up for overtime to be number 2 in the office, yet if you advised people they would only be sorting, could come in on their days off in skivvies (DL had someone doing this, but they also had between 4-6 agents working down there depending on the time of the day) and you'd be number 3 or 4 to help out, I know there would be people jumping at the overtime. Yet one more year it wasnt done and the poor agents in baggage took the hit for it. :down:

Well, folks. When I left last night I only had ONE leftover bag (out of a total of four expedites for the shift). Not too bad! One misload from PHX, two last minute reroutes that misconnected to the plane (and beat the passenger to their destination anyway), and a single buried load victim. All in all, not bad for a holiday. NO missed baggage would have been better, but I'll take what I can get.

15% short on the ramp yesterday, and it was pretty close to a full schedule with heavy rain on top of the mess. PIT ramp looked quite nice when I walked out after the last flight left.

A common misconception. USAirways pulled back from BWI in anticipation of DOJ objections to the virtual lock that a combined USAirways/United had on the three Washington area airports. United wanted to keep Dulles, and National was a more lucrative market (along with very valuable slots) for USAirways to hang on to during Wolf's failed attempt to sell the airline to United. It was clear there were antitrust issues, and the Washington airports was one of the biggest. Walking away from BWI was the only real solution to that particular antitrust issue. Of course, we all know it was futile.

But SWA didn't chase anyone out of BWI.
Isn't that The TRUTH! People give swa way too much credit....and for what? US was ramping up operations (flights and destinations) to levels that BWI could never support and the proximity to PHL would never allow BWI to remain a HUB. What swa did was rapidly place itself in the BWI marketplace- a very swift deployment of resources....chasing US out of BWI hardly. Even today almost every US flight out of BWI is Full/Overbooked- so the Grand "Darling" of the Airline world hasn't totally impressed EVERYONE in Baltimore and even the 20min flt BWI-PHL is heavily booked.

The meltdown in CLT will continue as long as Shift Managers feel they need to "continue" perfoming Fleet Service work...don't want to mention any name, but it rhymes with "Dick Clarx"!​

The meltdown in CLT will continue as long as Shift Managers feel they need to "continue" perfoming Fleet Service work...don't want to mention any name, but it rhymes with "Dick Clarx"!​

Was told they were so short in CLT this am that they had to pull one entire gate in to work a section in the bag room that had no one.
I don't know for sure about sick calls but people are so burned out they are not taking over time & the station tries to run on overtime. Loads are heaver more folks needed & we have less. Not looking good right now,

Latest posts

Back