CLT Baggage Meltdown?

...I can't imagine that one guy in the bin is stacking that may bags alone unless it's a 757 with the moving bin floors.

If it's split between two bins, yeah I could see one guy stacking, but that's going to take a bit longer than 35 minutes to accomplish just the upload...and even if it is all in one bin, in order to fit that many bags you're going to be forced to make a pretty neat stack instead of going Cancun-style and scattering the bags all over, which again means you'll probably be taking at least that long to upload.

... the old West mentality was to get the flights out on time, and now the old East mentality of "what's the hurry?" has begun to infect everyone of the ramp.

I can't speak for the old West mentality any more than you can speak for the old East mentality.

The old East mentality has teams go months without taking a cargo delay. The old East mentality in the pre 9/11 days moved a nonstop stream of freight and mail. The old East mentality is to take care of your job and your co-wprkers.

The illusion of superiority some call a West mentality is a fantasy.

You are entitled to your daydreams, just don't lose touch with reality.

I can't speak for the old West mentality any more than you can speak for the old East mentality.

The old East mentality has teams go months without taking a cargo delay. The old East mentality in the pre 9/11 days moved a nonstop stream of freight and mail. The old East mentality is to take care of your job and your co-wprkers.

The illusion of superiority some call a West mentality is a fantasy.

You are entitled to your daydreams, just don't lose touch with reality.

Howdy Dog Wonder, I sure riled you up by evidence of a post being longer than a few words!

Your "old" has little bearing on today, because for better or worse, we are a new company, but the pre-merger East mentalities presist. The "old old" mentalities which you speak, promulgates from a pre-9/11 environment REALLY is living in the past and out-of-touch with current realties... you might want to take some of your own advice, especially when you are unable to quantitate "nonstop stream" of freight and mail as an embellishment of a time long ago.

As for CPH claims, even I called BS on it, but he assured me that as he did the load plan, he knows how the plane was loaded. Which reminds me of a little economic lesson in how real increases in wages can only exist in an aggregate of increased productivity, ergo that means greater output per employee either through increased effort or replacing employees with capital equipment or subcontractors (notice how that worked with recent pay increases). For the "Luggage Luddites," this may be an unacceptable trade-off, but for the highest of seniority people approaching retirement.

All so worried about 'cutting corners' to the point that it is slow motion. I had the opportunity to meet some of the absent IAM east posters to this board over a year ago, and frankly, they were soft and on the smallish side. I looked at the West side with burly, tall guys, and I thought the visitors were from a local junior high on career day. I guess there is a reason as to why SWA keeps hiring, because how many people are built around 6-foot tall, around 240 pounds willing to work in a tight space in a hot environment, and be able to pass a drug test and criminal background check? When it comes time to stretch for those bags near the bulk head and then turn around an toss and stack 150 bags in the aft bin of a B737 in 15 minutes, I guess the guys around 5'7" and 160 pounds won't last long... or they apply to work at US Airways.

So Contrasts Jester.

A history of a strong work ethic is worth more than a history of self-promoting tongue wagging.

Unless you can do the cherry stem thing with your tongue.

Howdy Dog Wonder, I sure riled you up by evidence of a post being longer than a few words!

Your "old" has little bearing on today, because for better or worse, we are a new company, but the pre-merger East mentalities presist. The "old old" mentalities which you speak, promulgates from a pre-9/11 environment REALLY is living in the past and out-of-touch with current realties... you might want to take some of your own advice, especially when you are unable to quantitate "nonstop stream" of freight and mail as an embellishment of a time long ago.

As for CPH claims, even I called BS on it, but he assured me that as he did the load plan, he knows how the plane was loaded. Which reminds me of a little economic lesson in how real increases in wages can only exist in an aggregate of increased productivity, ergo that means greater output per employee either through increased effort or replacing employees with capital equipment or subcontractors (notice how that worked with recent pay increases). For the "Luggage Luddites," this may be an unacceptable trade-off, but for the highest of seniority people approaching retirement.

All so worried about 'cutting corners' to the point that it is slow motion. I had the opportunity to meet some of the absent IAM east posters to this board over a year ago, and frankly, they were soft and on the smallish side. I looked at the West side with burly, tall guys, and I thought the visitors were from a local junior high on career day. I guess there is a reason as to why SWA keeps hiring, because how many people are built around 6-foot tall, around 240 pounds willing to work in a tight space in a hot environment, and be able to pass a drug test and criminal background check? When it comes time to stretch for those bags near the bulk head and then turn around an toss and stack 150 bags in the aft bin of a B737 in 15 minutes, I guess the guys around 5'7" and 160 pounds won't last long... or they apply to work at US Airways.

So Contrasts Jester.

Jester,
With all due respect I've seen the same game played elsewhere. Way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, (1987) a company called Mack Trucks went though a similar situation.

1800 workers at Plant 5C were slated to lose their jobs due to a relocation to SC. Sound familar?

Due to UAW seniority provisions the senior members of the workforce were able to "Bump" workers to the local plant in Macungie, PA.

As a result, most of the 357 families that moved to Winnsboro, SC exercised their transfer rights were very junior on the UAW seniority list.

As 5C wound down the seniority grew at Macungie until the average ages of the 1100 at Macungie was 53 years of age. Other the 18 months after the plant averaged one ambulance trip per week as the older workers were deliberately put into positions they were not able to handle physically. Many died of heart attack and over time the workforce retired amd allowed Mack to achieve its profit goals, only to move to Greensboro NC and displace every single worker that moved to Winnsboro.

Cautionary Tale?

And oh, I spoke with former US FSA, Cream Horn Pastry recently, who works for one of the other guys... two man team, 180 bags download with 210 bags upload, in a 35 minute turn.

Yeah, No.

I work for "one of the other guys" and even with sliding carpets on our 757's and 738's you just aren't sending that many bags down in 35 min,especially not with 2 guys.How is it loaded? Everything is in one compartment? Guy at the bottom of the belt doesn't have to pull up the string of carts?

It's a nice message board statement, but doesn't pass the real world sniff test.

2 heroic rampies chucking almost 400 bags in 35 minutes? Okay,sure. What is this, Horatius at the Bridge?

Back