From "the Motley Fool" Newsletter

CALno.1

Jun 17, 2004
No doubt the airline business has been tough lately. Rising fuel prices have threatened to take a bite out of profits. And the CEO of long-troubled Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) this week reported that bankruptcy was still an option for the company. In the wake of such news, United's predicament is hardly surprising.

Interestingly, United spun news of the rejection as good, citing the government's claim that United doesn't need its backing. The company appears to have seen this coming, for a week ago CEO Glenn Tilton said United would exit bankruptcy with or without federal loan assurances. (Fool Salim Haji today said the government's rejection will be beneficial to the industry, as it will help even the playing field for the low-cost carriers.)

It won't be easy either way. According to a report in the Chicago Tribune, United needs $2 billion to repay loans it received to ride out bankruptcy. Citigroup (NYSE: C) and JP Morgan Chase (NYSE: JPM) had agreed to provide much of the funding, figuring federal backing was likely. Now, without it, United could be forced to sell a hefty ownership stake and get more sacrifices from employees to earn the moola needed.

Remember your bag tags from the late 80s? "One Less Airline Can Make A Difference"

Right on CAL No1.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know that saying "What go around comes Around" Our pompus A$$ pilots are the ones that started this ball rolling and deserve what they get.

ONE LESS AIRLINE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE :up:

Where are Fly and Busdrvr?????????????????? Come on guys, get your two cents in here. Your like a dog with his tail between his legs. Stand up and be counted.

Bore, I'm here, just don't like wasting my time responding to a Cal Scab. I've never hoped for someone else to lose a job or another airline to go under, even when I think they will. I think it speaks volumes to the kind of scumbags they have driving jets at Cal. Keep talking Cal.

But WADR to you Bore, I regret that you are under the impression that UAL's pilots have in any way intentionally or unintentionally damaged your carreer. The UAL pilot group still stands firmly behind you mechs and quite honestly regard you as the best in the business. I know I feel much safer when the jet MY family flies on has been maintained by professionals, not the lowest bidder.

I seriously doubt that Busdrvr and Fly were UA employees during the "One Less Airline Can Make a Difference" days. Most likely the slogan was directed at Lorenzo and not the pilots of CAL except for the low life scabs that is.

cheers

bigsky

Get over your "SCAB" BS, and welcome to the real world. First off I was an 87 hire. AFTER the strike. But, we are all ALPA "brothers" now, arnt we? Hey, I know, GO OUT ON STRIKE. I mean after all, that's what you UA guys do best isnt it? We at CAL will support you all the way :up: :up: :up: :up:

CALno.1:

Your comments reflect the kind of guy you must be: small-minded, unevolved, and not terribly bright. You strike me as the type who was probably licking his chops to apply at Eastern when their pilots walked. Just an observation...

And a couple of years ago, CAL pilots were probably pointing to UAL and DAL as their targets for contracts . . . . and now CAL No1 is dis'ing UAL? YGBSM.

Goodwin was the one that caused the summer of discontent in Denver and the one who just about ruined UAL.

But who put Goodwin in charge? Yes, it was the unions who vetoed Greenwald's heir apparent, Edwardson, for not being sufficiently labor friendly.

Labor bears responsibility for Goodwin's reign of error because they put him there.

Borescope:

It has nothing to do with the shoe being on the other foot. This guy from CAL comes over to the United board to provoke. He has clearly expressed his glee at the prospect of United failing and is holding a twenty year grudge because some pilots displayed anti-Lorenzo slogans on their bags. I for one supported Continental at a time when the rest of the world still loathed them and would not wish to see my fellow industry brethen on the streets. His comments reflect that of an emotionally immature individual. I could keep quiet, but I want to let him know that I find his behavior offensive.

CALno.1:

Your comments reflect the kind of guy you must be: small-minded, unevolved, and not terribly bright. You strike me as the type who was probably licking his chops to apply at Eastern when their pilots walked. Just an observation...

JAMAKE1:
LOL.. No my friend, quite the opposite. Graduated University of Texas Masters program with a 3.8 and an MBA. Aside from flying I also own my own small business with four full time employees that grossed 1.2 million last year. I'll bet that business that I'm MUCH more involved and in tune with what's going on in this country than you will ever be. I also have a very good memory, which is something these flag stomping, America hating Kerry supporters, which I'm sure you are one of, fail to have. For instance, I remember very well the arrogance and pompous ass attitude of United, and it's pilots specifically, toward Continental LONG after the strike was over. Not only toward Lorenzo, but everyone that worked there. I remember UA crews refusing to even ride on the same hotel vans with us. And them telling United that they had to change hotels because they were not going to stay where CAL crews stayed. And then of course their little bag tags, One less airline can make a difference. You DARE call that "JUST" an anti Lorenzo sticker? Nothing would have made you happier than to see CAL fail and you know it. The list goes on and on. Shall I continue? Yeah UA, you formed our attitude toward you long ago. WE, the CAL employees are the ones that had to endure Lorenzo, NOT United. United pilots didn't give a damn about us, they were just worried that Lorenzo might have some influence on their little gravy train. Oh yes, I remember VERY well, and so does every other CAL employee that was around then. Well now the unthinkable has happened. United is the bottom of the barrel and CAL is number ONE in every way there is to measure an Airline. And BOTH situations could not happen to two more deserving group of employees. UA, you still don't have a clue what sacrifice is, but you are learning. As for Eastern, you are SO wrong. THE worst thing they could have done was go out on strike. THAT is what sunk Eastern. And no, I did not want Eastern to go out of business. Had they stuck it out like we did, and out lived Lorenzo most likely we would ALL be CAL right now with a great base in Miami instead of AA having it.

(edited by moderator)

CALno.1 said:
CAL is number ONE in every way there is to measure an Airline.
I am above people like CAL - so I probably shouldn't even post and give him more time in the spotlight.

However - the last time I checked - one such way to measure an airline is its size. Wouldn't you agree that the size of an airline is a rational "measure"?

United's the number 2 airline in the world.

Enough said. Again - you're not worth debating because you don't even approach the maturity to make an argument.