Galileo International Signs Five-Year Full Content Agreement with US Airways

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
PARSIPPANY, N.J., April 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Galileo International, a leading global distribution system (GDS), and subsidiary of Cendant Corp. today announced a five-year full content enterprise agreement with US Airways, the largest full-service, low-cost airline in the United States. The agreement designates Galileo as a preferred distribution channel for US Airways ticket sales.

Through the agreement, all US Airways published fares and inventory, whether flown under the America West or US Airways brand, including Web fares available on its own site and through third parties, will be available to all users of the Galileo GDS system including Galileo-connected travel agencies and Cendant TDS online agencies booking through Galileo. Earlier this month, United Airlines signed a five-year participation agreement with Galileo.

"This long-term content agreement with US Airways is a very positive outcome for our agency customers, the airline and Cendant TDS and makes sense for all parties," said Kurt Ekert, senior vice president, Supplier Services for Cendant TDS. "Our travel agents, corporate travelers and consumers will continue to have access to all published fares offered by US Airways and America West."

"We are pleased to enter into an agreement with Galileo that achieves our distribution objectives," said Scott Kirby, executive vice president, Sales and Marketing, US Airways. "With this agreement our customers can continue to seamlessly book US Airways and America West inventory through their booking channel of choice."

PARSIPPANY, N.J., April 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Galileo International, a leading global distribution system (GDS), and subsidiary of Cendant Corp. today announced a five-year full content enterprise agreement with US Airways, the largest full-service, low-cost airline in the United States. The agreement designates Galileo as a preferred distribution channel for US Airways ticket sales.

In 1986 USAir became a part owner in the Apollo/Covia portion of Galileo. I believe that interest was sold in the 90's do to money problems at USAir.

When USAir lost the Covia partnership I felt that it would someday prove to be a mistake. Now we must pay someone else to do what a company we once owned did, and did for a profit to the airline.

linemech

hmmmm... I wonder how this will relate to the SHARES cutover? Will there be some added elements of Galileo incorporated into a new and improved SHARES for US Airways?

hmmmm... I wonder how this will relate to the SHARES cutover? Will there be some added elements of Galileo incorporated into a new and improved SHARES for US Airways?

This has nothing to do with the cutover. The deal will allow Galileo terminals will show US flights. Essentially an agent with Galileo can book on US. A similar agreement was signed with Sabre recently. Even though we will no longer use sabre our flights will still be displayed an bookable.

I may be mistaken, but I think the real thrust of these deals (by which Galileo is a "preferred" GDS) is to reduce the cost of booking via the preferred outlet.

WEll, it's a known fact that the HP side of SHARES needs a major upgrade and that's why we will continue with SABRE at least thru the beginning of next year, so that's the reason I was questioning whether or not Galileo would somehow come into play, as far as bringing SHARES up to speed with international pricing, for example....