Game addiction costs Alec Baldwin his airline seat

Nice job, Alec. Make safety into a joke.

You are a used up has been actor. AND WE DON'T WANT YOU ON AMERICAN AIRLINES.

Whether you agree with the rule, it is a rule. Someone thinks it is a valid issue so why the arguement? I can assure you an FAA inspector would have a field day with the f/as if they didn't follow the regs. I believe in personal freedoms but when you feel you're a little more special so "this rule" only applies to others, not "me" then there are more serious issues than the phone. Simple, turn it off.

Rules have to make sense other wise it turns into a chicken little scenario where the sky really is falling and no one gives a crap because of previous statements that were irrelevant. As I and someone else pointed out, the rules is not taken seriously by the FAA/airline so why should the flying public take it seriously? Yes the rule is taken seriously by the FAA/Airline if someone flaunts it (Baldwin) but had he just hidden the fon from view no one would have cared or known. If cell fon use was indeed a risk the airlines or the FAA would have guidelines in place to ensure that all wireless devices are in fact turned off prior to landing. Odds are that would be to invasive for the flying public (as if striping down to your shorts is not bad enough) that it would not be worth the hassle. There has been no evidence that I have seen to indicate that a wireless device has caused any interference with the operation of the aircraft. If someone can produce that then we have an entirely new ball game and fon/wireless device usage needs to be address.

Rules have to make sense other wise it turns into a chicken little scenario where the sky really is falling and no one gives a crap because of previous statements that were irrelevant. As I and someone else pointed out, the rules is not taken seriously by the FAA/airline so why should the flying public take it seriously? Yes the rule is taken seriously by the FAA/Airline if someone flaunts it (Baldwin) but had he just hidden the fon from view no one would have cared or known. If cell fon use was indeed a risk the airlines or the FAA would have guidelines in place to ensure that all wireless devices are in fact turned off prior to landing. Odds are that would be to invasive for the flying public (as if striping down to your shorts is not bad enough) that it would not be worth the hassle. There has been no evidence that I have seen to indicate that a wireless device has caused any interference with the operation of the aircraft. If someone can produce that then we have an entirely new ball game and fon/wireless device usage needs to be address.

Sorry, you don't get to make that decision. Turn it off. Is that really so difficult?

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry, you don't get to make that decision. Turn it off. Is that really so difficult?

And sorry...she's apparently got a bit of me in her.
I don't put a damned bit of trust in what the Feds tell us.
In fact everything they impose on us nowadays is suspect
in my book. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a rebel when it comes to BS that flat doesn't check with me.Born out of facts later surfaced, proving laws, policy enforced-wasn't even nec.

That's the problem with a lot if sheeple....they'll blindly follow the damn Feds and "powers that be" right off the cliff! Question authority!!

And sorry...she's apparently got a bit of me in her.
I don't put a damned bit of trust in what the Feds tell us.
In fact everything they impose on us nowadays is suspect
in my book. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a rebel when it comes to BS that flat doesn't check with me.Born out of facts later surfaced, proving laws, policy enforced-wasn't even nec.

That's the problem with a lot if sheeple....they'll blindly follow the damn Feds and "powers that be" right off the cliff! Question authority!!

I don't like seat belts but I wear them. I have had the Capt. ask me to check for electronics being on so there must be something to it...Keep up the hide and seek games and eventually you'll find your way to another flight too. This is really kind of an exercise in passive aggressive behavior.

Reactions: 3 people

I think you are missing the point. First it is not a matter of difficulty or who makes the choice. It is quite easy to shut a device off. There are times when I have forgot to do so as is the case with others. I am sure there have been people who have chosen not to do so. The issue is that when either the FAA or the airlines start to makes rules that have no basis in fact they lose credibility. Given that they do not seem to care about the rule until someone flaunts it why should I take it seriously. And we have not even addressed the inconsistency that I can have my fon on right after we land but not after we leave the gate? Yea that makes sense.

You walk down the aisle checking fons and I just pretend to turn it off as you walk by and continue using it after you are gone. How does that benefit anyone? If it really is a risk to safety we are all goners because I know I am not the only one who has forgotten to turn off a fon at some point. If it is not a risk as it appears to be the case, why are the airlines and FAA trying to pass it off as being otherwise? And why the heck should I care? I am not going to get prosecuted for having it on. The only way that happens is if I refuse a crew order. I'm just going to pretend I did and you will not be the wiser. My fon is on mute or vibrate and no one will know.

The bottom line is I want to know why I have to turn it off. Because you say so is not a valid answer. It did not work when I was a kid and it won't work now. If you do not give me a valid reason I am just going to do it to know that I can and did. I will do it just to tick you off.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't like seat belts but I wear them. I have had the Capt. ask me to check for electronics being on so there must be something to it...Keep up the hide and seek games and eventually you'll find your way to another flight too. This is really kind of an exercise in passive aggressive behavior.

Seat belts have been proven time and time again to save lives. There has been no such evidence presented in regards to the wireless devices. Just because the pilots can tell that devices are on does not mean that they have a negative effect on the flight controls or safety. If there is a link, lets see it.

I think this is less about passive aggressive than it is about just being fed up with the BS of flying these days. Some idiot puts explosives in his shoes and all opf a sudden my shoes have to be scanned. Someone comes up with the idea of combining liquids and guess what, I'm limited to 3 oz per a container. Never mind the fact that I can fill a one quart bag with a bunch of 3 oz containers. And the list goes on.

Travel has become a royal PIA. I used to love going on VC, now I dread it. I dread the security process, I dread going on the planes that are dirty. I have to get my food ahead of time because I do not want to be ripped off by the airlines. I have to deal with paying $25 to check my bag but the people who work the system and get their bags through security just gate check them last min free of charge. In LAS a few weeks ago the agents working my flight and the one next to mine both went on the PA and said that if anyone want to do a last min check bag they could do so free of charge. Some of the bags were way to large top be a carry on. Mean while I am out $50. Thanks AA.

Now you want me to jump through yet another hoop and there is nothing to suggest that it has any justification. Sorry but I am just fed up with the BS of air travel. I do not think I am alone in feeling that I fly because I have to not because I want to. If there is another way of be getting to where I have to go or I can figure out a way not to have to fly, I will choose that other option.

Reactions: 1 person

Annnddd...just how did you go about "checking for electronics" there in the cabin??
Ask each pax to show you if there cell ph is off?

I'm a seasoned AMT in this industry and I just left the 787 program a few mos ago.
I know what I'm talking about here. There may be some HIRF slight side effects if all the cell ph in the cabin were left on, but that's not going to happen because you can't get a signal once you're out of tower signal range anyway(though I have heard/felt my ph ring on 5 mi final :)

But you can relax...I gen turn it off anymore to save the battery & because of reasons I just stated above. But the chances of a sky-waitress/waitor showing me the L1door at push- for my ph being left on are about as remote as YOU catching me.

Annnddd...just how did you go about "checking for electronics" there in the cabin??
Ask each pax to show you if there cell ph is off?

I'm a seasoned AMT in this industry and I just left the 787 program a few mos ago.
I know what I'm talking about here. There may be some HIRF slight side effects if all the cell ph in the cabin were left on, but that's not going to happen because you can't get a signal once you're out of tower signal range anyway(though I have heard/felt my ph ring on 5 mi final :)

But you can relax...I gen turn it off anymore to save the battery & because of reasons I just stated above. But the chances of a sky-waitress/waitor showing me the L1door at push- for my ph being left on are about as remote as YOU catching me.

If I'm a sky waiter your a wrench monkey. Seasoned AMT--no doubt with salt, pepper, and lots of beer. And, you pride yourself on your ability to break the law. Very grownup, adult attitude.

Reactions: 2 people
On my way home, I decided to edit my previous post I'd inserted right here.
I don't know you at all, just felt I shouldn't "say" those things.

In maintenance ops, I have traveled extensively int'l and domestic while at work and "pleasure"(snicker). I've just grown weary of the f/as that have shitty attitudes(prob from dealing with jackasses all day-I know... you guys get it daily), but won't go find themselves another gig, probably because they won't get the pay and time off they're getting working the aisles. I've met some good, respectful crew members, and I've met some people that need to be run off. Like any dept I suppose-but you guys are front line emp.
It shows more than most of you think. FWIW...

Btw, don't drink much anymore. Did enough of that in my 20s to last a lifetime. :p
EOM on this topic. ;)

Seat belts have been proven time and time again to save lives. There has been no such evidence presented in regards to the wireless devices. Just because the pilots can tell that devices are on does not mean that they have a negative effect on the flight controls or safety. If there is a link, lets see it.

I think this is less about passive aggressive than it is about just being fed up with the BS of flying these days. Some idiot puts explosives in his shoes and all opf a sudden my shoes have to be scanned. Someone comes up with the idea of combining liquids and guess what, I'm limited to 3 oz per a container. Never mind the fact that I can fill a one quart bag with a bunch of 3 oz containers. And the list goes on.

Travel has become a royal PIA. I used to love going on VC, now I dread it. I dread the security process, I dread going on the planes that are dirty. I have to get my food ahead of time because I do not want to be ripped off by the airlines. I have to deal with paying $25 to check my bag but the people who work the system and get their bags through security just gate check them last min free of charge. In LAS a few weeks ago the agents working my flight and the one next to mine both went on the PA and said that if anyone want to do a last min check bag they could do so free of charge. Some of the bags were way to large top be a carry on. Mean while I am out $50. Thanks AA.

Now you want me to jump through yet another hoop and there is nothing to suggest that it has any justification. Sorry but I am just fed up with the BS of air travel. I do not think I am alone in feeling that I fly because I have to not because I want to. If there is another way of be getting to where I have to go or I can figure out a way not to have to fly, I will choose that other option.

I hear you..I don't fly unless I absolutely have to but when I do fly I follow simple directions. It used to be fun not only to go on vc but to work for an airline. I refuse to be felt up or xrayed so I choose to not fly. Going to be a challenge when I go back to St. Croix..lol