Lax-Lhr 136 diverted

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
A flight from Los Angeles to London was diverted to New York early Thursday because of what officials said may have been unfounded fears of a security breach.

A flight attendant on the American Airlines plane apparently became suspicious of a male passenger because there was "some confusion as to whether the man was properly security screened" before boarding the Heathrow Airport-bound flight at Los Angeles International Airport, a law enforcement official said.

Authorities were questioning the passenger Thursday morning at Kennedy International Airport, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak to the media.

"The individual in question was, in fact, an employee who was traveling in a private capacity," Chertoff told CNN, saying he had gotten information from airline representatives. "It may very well turn out that this is nothing more than a misunderstanding with an employee."

The diverted plane, carrying 230 passengers, landed in New York about 3:30 a.m., said Alan Hicks, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport. He said the agency was told about an hour earlier that Flight 136 was being diverted.

Reactions: 1 person
JFK seems to be a bit of the way as a diversion point for an LAX-LHR flight. If there was such a concern about a possible security breach, you would think a closer airport would have been called for.

Watch, the company will try to hang to poor bastard who was traveling.

I'm just wondering why, if the F/A was so concerned about this passenger did they wait until six hours into the flight to say something?

Or, for that matter, have a friendly employee to employee chat - the FAs certainly can tell who's an employee if the individual was non-revving.

Watch, the company will try to hang to poor bastard who was traveling.

I'm just wondering why, if the F/A was so concerned about this passenger did they wait until six hours into the flight to say something?
It could have been the FA's first chance to go to the front or the back of the plane. Beverage service, meal and beverage service, pick up, duty free and then first break starting. Could have been that was the point that the FA noticed the one face mixed in a sea of others.

I doubt very much they knew at boarding or right after takeoff and waited several hours to do anything about it.

Reactions: 1 person
JFK seems to be a bit of the way as a diversion point for an LAX-LHR flight. If there was such a concern about a possible security breach, you would think a closer airport would have been called for.

Really?

Got any idea what the route may hae been?

Got any idea what the distance was from where they decided to divert?

Got any idea what the other alternatives were?

Or...what?

FOS

Idiot Chertoff says he's an AA employee in his early morning press conference.

AA spokesholes have gone out of their way all day to say he was not an AA employee. Later news stories say AA "can't confirm" whether or not he's an AA employee.

Anybody know for sure?

Anybody else see the close temporal connection between this incident and Chertoff's "gut-feeling" lunacy and suspect some kind of non-coincidence connection between the two?

Really?

Got any idea what the route may hae been?

Got any idea what the distance was from where they decided to divert?

Got any idea what the other alternatives were?

Or...what?

FOS

Umm...that's why I was asking. Usual LAX-LHR routing is quite a bit north of JFK, but sometimes LAX-Europe flights fly over Chicago, depending on wind and ATC factors. Just wondering why the flight went to JFK, instead of somewhere else.

On the larger issue at hand, the latest news reports indicate that the passenger in question was not the same person as the F/A had seen on the employee shuttle bus.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...Kw&refer=us

On the larger issue at hand, the latest news reports indicate that the passenger in question was not the same person as the F/A had seen on the employee shuttle bus.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...Kw&refer=us

So she "thought" she saw this guy on the employee shuttle and then, after talking to him on the plane, she alerts the crew and this sets in motion a diversion, cancellation and huge delay for 218 passengers?

What sheer lunacy. Tell you what, mistaken Flight Attendant Who Questions Whether Passengers Cleared Security: You focus on the emergency procedures, serving dinner, portable IFE handout/retrieval and duty free sales and leave the security sceening where it belongs - the incompetent morons of the TSA.

Her mistaken memory ("didn't I see that pax on the crew shuttle?" "OMG, he hasn't been screened!") cost AA tens of thousands of dollars last night. She more than doubled her net annual cost to the company in one evening. What an idiot. Way to go, Gladys. :down:

So she "thought" she saw this guy on the employee shuttle and then, after talking to him on the plane, she alerts the crew and this sets in motion a diversion, cancellation and huge delay for 218 passengers?

What sheer lunacy. Tell you what, mistaken Flight Attendant Who Questions Whether Passengers Cleared Security: You focus on the emergency procedures, serving dinner, portable IFE handout/retrieval and duty free sales and leave the security sceening where it belongs - the incompetent morons of the TSA.

Her mistaken memory ("didn't I see that pax on the crew shuttle?" "OMG, he hasn't been screened!") cost AA tens of thousands of dollars last night. She more than doubled her net annual cost to the company in one evening. What an idiot. Way to go, Gladys. :down:

It is pretty easy to second guess and speculate on the employee's actions. None of us were there so this is really no different than everyone always jumping on "pilot error". The pilot in command has the final say in any decision to divert. Remember Mr. Reid? Wasn't that incident well into the flight. I would hate to see everyone jumping to crucify a working crew member because of the chance that someone would be afraid to act on a suspicious action. This is not my era of flying anymore. I don't envy any of you those fears and possible decisions.

It is pretty easy to second guess and speculate on the employee's actions. None of us were there so this is really no different than everyone always jumping on "pilot error". The pilot in command has the final say in any decision to divert. Remember Mr. Reid? Wasn't that incident well into the flight. I would hate to see everyone jumping to crucify a working crew member because of the chance that someone would be afraid to act on a suspicious action. This is not my era of flying anymore. I don't envy any of you those fears and possible decisions.

Difficult decisons indeed...

Let's say there is particular F/A a particular CA has flown with exactly three times. Each one of those three times this individual F/A has 'felt' 'threatened' by an individual or individuals of apparantly middle eastern descent.

In none of these three instances were there any actions, speech, or behavior by the pax that could be identified as threatening. A perception...a 'feeling' if you will...from one of the three F/A's on board.

Let's say that each time the pax checked out with reasonable, rational, non-threatening backgrounds, travel plans, etc. Let's say that two of them were actually Hispanic.

So...do we go with what we 'know'...??? or are we 'better safe than sorry'...???

What is the right decision...???

What abut the next time this CA flys with this F/A...???

(I have already made mine...just an illustration...these decisions are not easy, or clear cut.)

Perhaps it is better to not do too much arm-chair quarterbacking on these deals...)

Interesting times...Indeed

Well I'm just glad it wasn't one of my union officials fighting with his wife again. Oh that's right, he can't fly anymore. :shock:
SSShhhh!!!! That's suppose to be a secret!!!!!

Burdchette could be flying on a A5 pass at some point, so don't be too glad just yet!!!!

Has there been any charges filed??? You would think that would be the case with anyone disrupting a flight in this manner. I forgot, he is unelected in the twu International, so no accountability there. :rolleyes:

Latest posts