GATE AGENTS/CSR/etc

I had a gate agent tell me that US Airways is taking the best of of both contacts for this group. Best of America WEST and US Airways. They rolled over all the America West Agents Sick time and stuff.
However, they are only giving you 4 hours a day for sick days and not 8 like normal? They have and are giving raises to all America West Gate agents every six months and they have a pay raise even though a combined contract is not signed or ratified by the members?

Why are they working faster and in better faith then with the IAM/AFA/ALPA? :blink:

Why? For you guys/gals. I'm not upset just wonder the logic behind this? :blink: :D

I had a gate agent tell me that US Airways is taking the best of of both contacts for this group. Best of America WEST and US Airways. They rolled over all the America West Agents Sick time and stuff.
However, they are only giving you 4 hours a day for sick days and not 8 like normal? They have and are giving raises to all America West Gate agents every six months and they have a pay raise even though a combined contract is not signed or ratified by the members?

Why are they working faster and in better faith then with the IAM/AFA/ALPA? :blink:

Why? For you guys/gals. I'm not upset just wonder the logic behind this? :blink: :D
Not ALPA. Cheaper to keep east on "C" scale.
Welcome to Wal-Air.

Who said they are taking the best from both contracts? West did not have a contract. Teamsters had just been voted in and there had been no negotiations. Neither side has changed unions. CWA and TEAMSTERS formed an association so they each kept members. I think the Mississippi River may be the division line(not sure). West adopted east bankrupcy contract and teamsters have been able to make some minor ammendments. Pt employees on west were able to work a 3 day 8 hr work week. This is now history. Many are upset that the next bid contains 5 day work weeks. In fact all WEST PT agents are now sched 30 hrs a week. Some part time schedule, right? East bankrupcy contract had much higher wages but the company was unwilling to give west agents the same pay right away. Its a 2 yr wait for pay parity with 1JAN08 when wages will be equal. West agents got screwed on profit sharing because east agents made more and therefore will have higher profit sharing. West agents lost a week of vacation after 5 yrs, now 2 weeks, instead of 3 and also lost full pay on all sick days. Also lost a number of paid holidays. In 2011, when the contract is up, we'll see what's gonna happen. West never had a sick bank so thats a plus. There are other things but lets just say that it was not taking the best of 2 contracts. Mama

Who said they are taking the best from both contracts? West did not have a contract. Teamsters had just been voted in and there had been no negotiations. Neither side has changed unions. CWA and TEAMSTERS formed an association so they each kept members. I think the Mississippi River may be the division line(not sure). West adopted east bankrupcy contract and teamsters have been able to make some minor ammendments. Pt employees on west were able to work a 3 day 8 hr work week. This is now history. Many are upset that the next bid contains 5 day work weeks. In fact all WEST PT agents are now sched 30 hrs a week. Some part time schedule, right? East bankrupcy contract had much higher wages but the company was unwilling to give west agents the same pay right away. Its a 2 yr wait for pay parity with 1JAN08 when wages will be equal. West agents got screwed on profit sharing because east agents made more and therefore will have higher profit sharing. West agents lost a week of vacation after 5 yrs, now 2 weeks, instead of 3 and also lost full pay on all sick days. Also lost a number of paid holidays. In 2011, when the contract is up, we'll see what's gonna happen. West never had a sick bank so thats a plus. There are other things but lets just say that it was not taking the best of 2 contracts. Mama
Yes, it looks like West side lost a lot. Exactly what Mama said, sick days are 4 hours instead of 8.. lost vacation time.. subpar salary, etc. We make as much as a Mcdonald's employee here. AND I get turned down when a promotion comes up. Life is grand at US Airways :)

Yes, it looks like West side lost a lot. Exactly what Mama said, sick days are 4 hours instead of 8.. lost vacation time.. subpar salary, etc.

Only the first 5 days of the year sick starting in June or July are paid at 1/2 time and you are only docked 1/2 time occurances ie 2 days out would equal 1 day sick off the books. After that its full pay. I dont understand the company reason for this since most people think once I get past the 5 I'm getting full pay. Hey already burned 3 might as well get it all over with so I can get full pay for the rest, but they must have a reason.
Also the pay sucked on the west side before the contract. At least now topout wont be $13/hr (and how many people made it to that level anyway?).
Sorry to hear you didnt get the promo, but that wasnt written in the contract either. ;)
Yeah parts of it suck and its going to last for another couple of years, but it was a first contract worked on and there are lots of things that have been addressed as needing change when contract time finally comes around. Lets just hope that the next 4 years are profitable ones so we can see just what can be worked on together at that time. Not all of us at the East like everything (last change was won by 5 votes only) and it had a lot to do with the buyout otherwise I dont think it would have passed.

we should be hearing something soon on the trade LOA also...the company did not want res to pt to be able to work 3/8's but have proposed an increasefor swaps to 26 ...they supposedly have this figured out where you would still be able to work 3 /8's...they are still in talks about OT issues....trying to get equalization zeroed out every quarter-this is totally new for former "westies"-while it is true we former HP have lost alot, we also have gained. I have talked to many union higher ups and they know that the contract has a lot of downers....my main point to them was that this contract now covers a lot of PT agents-many of us are part time not by choice both east and west-yet this contract is geared towards full timers. They have asked for patience while this is worked through and most importantly-SOLIDARITY.
Sometimes I think our negotiatons went way to fast...maybe had they held out we could have brought a few more of the great things we had to the contract in the form of a LOA...I am not happy about the payscale installment plan-yet am happy for the increase-we are doing all job duties and learning 3 different platforms to perform our job currently, yet we are stuck on this installment pay plan.
My other bone of contention is the "Association". We are supposed to be one big union...divided by the big river only for the sole purpose of whom to pay dues to, whom to file your grievance with....yet both the IBT and CWA can not even come out with one single update written by both parties. You can go on the IBT site and read "their" update and then the same on CWA site. I was actually told by a higher up with IBT that I need to start communicating with my local-since I am east of the river-instead of sendin my concerns to them. Hmm...sounds like there is a division...that is a big concern for me....I should technically be able to ask either IBT or CWA whatever I want and not get chastised for asking one or the other...I was a big supporter of IBT...helped from the get go...was in on calls...then and now-those of east of the river were just dropped. It reminds me of the 1st time we tried to organize with IBT....we lost and they dropped all communication. When they came around the next time to organize I was very against it and I got several calls-several-asking why? I was adamant that because they failed the first time to keep the communication lines open I refused to support the 2nd organization drive....they went as far as to have the president from a local that my other half is with to corner him on his delivery route...asking him why I felt the way I did at the time about IBT. They finally swayed me...got me onboad so to speak. And here we are again-east of the Mississippi--lol I spelled it right-right?-where IBT just turned us over to CWA...not the association but CWA. Has been very frustrating but I am determined to learn what I can and do what I can to help to make some changes-i.e LOA.
Sorry to ramble......

The CWA-IBT caved to get the company to recognize the association instead of challenging it.

Be a big egg on their face when the IAM and AFA win the Change of Control Grievance.

If you are working gates is phx or in res, maybe you should take a look at transfering to Customer Relations. They are not part of the union, but they adopted the same pay scale. A 12 year employee makes $18 hr, or will by Aug 2007 when the transformation is complete. Because they are not part of the union, they did not go with the new sick time and vacation rules. You still get paid 8 hrs sick time and get your full 4 weeks vacation. And no union dues. Part time shifts are still mostly just 3 days per week, in fact they have some that are 10 hour days, 2 days per week. But shift bid is by department seniority, so a new transfer would not get the 10 hour shift. Also, starting next month, they will go back to being closed on weekends. And, they are hiring.

I have a friend in PHX wo just transferred OUT of Customer Relations and heard morale is at the bottom. Many of her friends wish they had gone when she did. Trust her enough to know Im not going there but if someone goes to Customer Relations and than back to Rez do they lose any seniority? Going from non union to union? Every answer has been an unknown. Regards, Mama

I have a friend in PHX wo just transferred OUT of Customer Relations and heard morale is at the bottom. Many of her friends wish they had gone when she did. Trust her enough to know Im not going there but if someone goes to Customer Relations and than back to Rez do they lose any seniority? Going from non union to union? Every answer has been an unknown. Regards, Mama

I don't think morale is that low. It is a tough place to work, due to the nature of your job duties. Not everybody can sit there and take abuse from angry customers all day. But at least they are not in your face. I'm not sure how the seniority works if someone transfers back to res but I think you might lose it for bidding purposes.

It reminds me of the 1st time we tried to organize with IBT....we lost and they dropped all communication. When they came around the next time to organize I was very against it and I got several calls-several-asking why? I was adamant that because they failed the first time to keep the communication lines open I refused to support the 2nd organization drive....they went as far as to have the president from a local that my other half is with to corner him on his delivery route...asking him why I felt the way I did at the time about IBT.
CWA/IBT form an Association because the company was trying to get another vote/election and the CWA/IBT were afraid people had the same attitude as you. And the unions would get voted out. HP pay scale SUX the pay scale for airport and reservations at America West before April 2006
both classifications start at $7.65 per hour and top out
at $13.09 per hour.
America West pay raises and premiums and the pay scale were on a merit system and those
raises and premiums were given to individuals at their current pay rate,
rather than across the board. The top America West rate was still
$13.09 per hour ($27, 232 per year). It never increase more that $13.09
Didn't HP have personal day off instead of sick days and vacations and how about your part timers did they have the same pay/benefits as full timers
The pay increases that apply to all classifications with the CWA contract
top of scale is $18.00 hr
1/1/2009 3.0% increase
1/1/2010 4.0% increase
1/1/2011 4.0% increase
1/1/2012 2.0% increase
Vacation accrual
10 days 1st year
15 days 10th year
20 days 20th year
25 days 25th year
plus every agent gets a additions 5 days of holiday to bid

Additionally, on 1/1/08, the $0.25 customer contact premium will be reinstated.
Snap Backs as of 12/31/11 to the CBA of 1999
Sick leave and pay
Holidays back to 10
Premiums-Shift and Job
Travel, training per diem
Holiday premium pay
Holiday option II and pay
Customer Contact Premium (increase)

This is not to bad compare with ALPA IAM AFA TWU and much better than HP agents….
This was the agent’s group first contract. All the other union groups have had union representation for many many many many years. Not to bad for a company who filed for bankruptcy twice and two years and used the bankruptcy law to petition to abrogate all union contracts unless the employees agree to concessionary settlements. In bankruptcy court documents and statements the company stated in blunt terms that if it does not get there cost savings from the union employees it would liquidate. Management got what they wanted management got what they needed. The union met the company’s demands in and equitable way. We had a voice unlike the last times the Company needed concessions.

they did not go with the new sick time and vacation rules. You still get paid 8 hrs sick time and get your full 4 weeks vacation.
If you use your sick time does It come for your vacation

A 12 year employee makes $18 hr, or will by Aug 2007 when the transformation is complete.
Are raises and premiums and the pay scale on a merit system ?

CWA/IBT form an Association because the company was trying to get another vote/election and the CWA/IBT were afraid people had the same attitude as you. And the unions would get voted out. HP pay scale SUX the pay scale for airport and reservations at America West before April 2006
both classifications start at $7.65 per hour and top out
at $13.09 per hour.
America West pay raises and premiums and the pay scale were on a merit system and those
raises and premiums were given to individuals at their current pay rate,
rather than across the board. The top America West rate was still
$13.09 per hour ($27, 232 per year). It never increase more that $13.09
Didn't HP have personal day off instead of sick days and vacations and how about your part timers did they have the same pay/benefits as full timers
The pay increases that apply to all classifications with the CWA contract
top of scale is $18.00 hr
1/1/2009 3.0% increase
1/1/2010 4.0% increase
1/1/2011 4.0% increase
1/1/2012 2.0% increase
Vacation accrual
10 days 1st year
15 days 10th year
20 days 20th year
25 days 25th year
plus every agent gets a additions 5 days of holiday to bid

Additionally, on 1/1/08, the $0.25 customer contact premium will be reinstated.
Snap Backs as of 12/31/11 to the CBA of 1999
Sick leave and pay
Holidays back to 10
Premiums-Shift and Job
Travel, training per diem
Holiday premium pay
Holiday option II and pay
Customer Contact Premium (increase)

This is not to bad compare with ALPA IAM AFA TWU and much better than HP agents….
This was the agent’s group first contract. All the other union groups have had union representation for many many many many years. Not to bad for a company who filed for bankruptcy twice and two years and used the bankruptcy law to petition to abrogate all union contracts unless the employees agree to concessionary settlements. In bankruptcy court documents and statements the company stated in blunt terms that if it does not get there cost savings from the union employees it would liquidate. Management got what they wanted management got what they needed. The union met the company’s demands in and equitable way. We had a voice unlike the last times the Company needed concessions.
If you use your sick time does It come for your vacation
Are raises and premiums and the pay scale on a merit system ?

Pay scales and increases are not based on merit anymore. It's strictly a year of service scale. You get up to 10 sick days paid per year....( but don't try to use more than 5 or so without some kind of corrective counceling. ) Sick days and vacation time are separate issues. Right now, unlimited overtime is being offered at time and a half.

Pay scales and increases are not based on merit anymore. It's strictly a year of service scale. You get up to 10 sick days paid per year....( but don't try to use more than 5 or so without some kind of corrective counceling. ) Sick days and vacation time are separate issues. Right now, unlimited overtime is being offered at time and a half.
And why? do you think HP did away with merit pay and gave your department seniority raise and change the pay scale

Latest posts