CSR NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE

Bambi

Sep 17, 2005
US Airways Negotiations Update

January 13, 2006

US Airways Negotiations Update

This week Teamster negotiators and the Communications Workers of America (CWA) negotiators met in Washington, D.C. with US Airways management. The purpose of these meetings was to begin the Transition Negotiation that will resolve any problem the America West Customer Service Representatives (CSRs) may face in the process of transitioning into the CWA Collective Bargaining Agreement.

On the Table
The discussion this week centered on the following issues:

• Superior retirement benefits—CWA has a 401k matching program obligation including an automatic weekly contribution of 3% of CSR gross income, to which America West employees will now be entitled;
• Hours of Service and day trades to preserve the flexibility America West CSRs currently enjoy;
• Health Care review;
• Classifications – Reconciling different definitions, duties and titles;
• Pay Transition implementation;
• Vacation accrual methods and entitlements;
• Sick Leave and Holidays—Working to preserve our superior benefits until full pay parity is achieved (when the CWA snapbacks take place in 2012, these benefits will be superior to current America West benefits.)

Seniority Integration

The Seniority integration committees for the CWA and the Teamsters began to explore how the two seniority lists will ultimately be integrated. The CWA committee argued in favor of strict one-to-one integration. They also explained how the previous integrations of the carriers that came together to form US Airways had influenced their preferences.

Teamster negotiators are exploring methods to protect Teamsters’ current rights and expectations that could be affected by the difference in the age of the companies.

These discussions did not reach agreement but began the dialogue that will continue in the coming weeks.

The company did agree that the seniority list for the America West CSRs would be according to the date of hire with the company (with ties broken using birthday as this is the current method used by America West.)

You will be receiving a mailing at your home regarding this list and that information is also posted on this website. If you do not receive this mailing, please contact your shop steward and/or business agent so that we can update our records. To obtain this information please contact the Airline Division (800) 635-3961.

The America West method of granting seniority differs from that used under the CWA agreement. For that reason, the Teamsters proposed and the company agreed that all employees hired and on-line on the America West side prior to a certain date (target- January 31) will be protectively “fenced†in. After that date we will use the CWA agreement seniority provisions to grant CSRs Passenger Service “Craft†seniority (first date worked, including training) in the Passenger Service Craft. Additional information is available on the CWA website (www.CWA.net) under: CWA contract Article 8 Seniority, Sections A.1-4.

On the Horizon

Future negotiations are scheduled with US Airways for February 14, 15 and 16 in Tempe, Arizona.

Talks with the CWA will continue next week.

...My question is this..per the first paragraph we are "transitioning into the CWA Collective Bargaining Agreement." My understanding about the "Interim Agreement" was that HP employees are only under the CWA grievance procedures, not their entire contract. That being said, from the way this reads from the teamsters website, HP IS gonna be under a contract that none of us ever had a vote on!

Not certain, but that's the way I read this. Either way, there are CSR meetings at Local 104 this coming week. Check your bulletin boards for times, but I think many of us need to go to get some definite answers!

Teamster negotiators are exploring methods to protect Teamsters’ current rights and expectations that could be affected by the difference in the age of the companies.

These discussions did not reach agreement but began the dialogue that will continue in the coming weeks.

The company did agree that the seniority list for the America West CSRs would be according to the date of hire with the company (with ties broken using birthday as this is the current method used by America West

The America West method of granting seniority differs from that used under the CWA agreement. For that reason, the Teamsters proposed and the company agreed that all employees hired and on-line on the America West side prior to a certain date (target- January 31) will be protectively “fencedâ€￾ in. After that date we will use the CWA agreement seniority provisions to grant CSRs Passenger Service “Craftâ€￾ seniority (first date worked, including training) in the Passenger Service Craft. Additional information is available on the CWA website (www.CWA.net) under: CWA contract Article 8 Seniority, Sections A.1-

Talks with the CWA will continue next week.
...My question is this..per the first paragraph we are "transitioning into the CWA Collective Bargaining Agreement." My understanding about the "Interim Agreement" was that HP employees are only under the CWA grievance procedures, not their entire contract. That being said, from the way this reads from the teamsters website, HP IS gonna be under a contract that none of us ever had a vote on!

...actually, seniority at AWA was DOH unlss you changed craft per the internal controls...example....supes stepping back into CSR job, CSR transferring to ramp and vice versa....you kept your company hire date for retirement but for bidding purposes you craft date of hire was you new date....I do not agree with the way the neg. team is making some descisions without our input. They have decided that company DOH is the final word for the list. I guess I do not agree that someone who transferred from a diff craft and has only been a CSR for 3 years should now be higher in seniority than myself...I am not feeling like this union is "our" union...I know that time is of the essence but....some of the choices they are making can really hurt the smaller field stations and this is exactly what many of us were worried about. I got an email from one negotiator stating that the trade policy really wasn't that bad....hello...does this mean you have decided not to fight or rather, "negotiate", for what we want? Yes they are allowed to trade about 20 per quarter but there are limitations on lets say, how many doubles in a row you can work....I am really getting worried and do not know who to contact-well I do- but I don't want to get myself blacklisted so to speak....uggghhhh.....

Latest posts