Get Out The Glue For A New Business Model

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Get Out the Glue for a New Business Model
By MICHELINE MAYNARD

Published: July 11, 2004

OB DYLAN once warned that "as the present now will later be past, the order is rapidly fading." He meant the political establishment four decades ago, of course, but his words also apply to the airline industry today.

NYT Article

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for posting that article, an interesting read.

This might be off-topic a bit, but can someone tell me about this "strong economic growth" we are supposed to be seeing?

I'm not seeing it at all. In fact, I was noticing how many small store-front businesses in my area have closed their doors recently. And I know more people who are out of work or just barely getting by.

Thanks!

Dea

Dea:

W. says it is so, so it must be so. If you don't agree Rush will preach at ya for hours.

Dea Certe said:
Jim,

Thanks for posting that article, an interesting read.

This might be off-topic a bit, but can someone tell me about this "strong economic growth" we are supposed to be seeing?

I'm not seeing it at all. In fact, I was noticing how many small store-front businesses in my area have closed their doors recently. And I know more people who are out of work or just barely getting by.

Thanks!

Dea
Actually a front page story in the USA Today last week said GDP growth for the year is on pace to be the highest in 20 years. Corporate profits are up across the board, and this is the precursor to expansion and more hiring from an economic history perspective. Jobless rates have held steady as more have entered the workforce.

Dea Certe said:
... can someone tell me about this "strong economic growth" we are supposed to be seeing?

Oh that...

Nothing to worry about. You're just seeing the Wal*Martification of America.

Smaller neighborhood stores in town being closed so the same products can be sold out by the four-lane in the neighboring county out of a big box for a penny or two less by workers earning next to nothing with no benefits, that replaced the better jobs that were in the stores they shut down.

That's where the "strong economic growth" is happening-- in the boardrooms of companies like Wal*Mart.

And that's why "jobless rates have held steady," as N628AU observed. The net number may be staying the same, but the jobs in the Wal*Martified America pay very little, are often not even full time by the usual definition of the word (Wal*Mart counts anything over 28 hours a week as "full time") and have very few, if any, benefits.

But hey, as long as we can stop the TRUE threats to the American way of life-- like gay marriage-- what do silly things like jobs and health care matter???

Don't be a fool.. The economy is growing at such a blistering pace right now the Fed decided to increase the federal funds rate (the interest rate member banks lend to eachother overnight to maintain reserve requirements) for the first time in like 4 years, just to curb inflation!! Yes is was only 1/4%, but they are pursuing a gradualist approach (hey its an election year) and I fully expect another 1/4% in september.

The best indicator I have seen yet, is the increases in wholesale inventories.. U.S. wholesale inventories grew strong in May as stockpiles of durable goods racked up their biggest gain in over four years! May's increase was more than double the 0.5% economists had expected. Generally, expanding inventories indicate that business are optimistic enough about the economy to keep stocking shelves. The many jobs being created now include manufacturing jobs, i.e. DURABLE GOODS!!

Kerry, and the liberal media wants people to think the economy is still weak, but @ 4% GDP growth, and 5.6% unemployment (and dropping) and inflation just below 3%, it just doesnt get much better than that.... open your old economics books if you think Im lying.

what did bush do to tank the economy?? GDP was in the crapper by the time clinton left in January.. Then 9-11, Face it.. GW Bush took us out of possibly the worst economic crisis since the 73 oil embargo..

He followed the Keynesian model.. reduce taxes, increase govt spending, reduce interest rates.. thats about all you can possibly do to spur the economy.. he did it all.. now the economy is going gang busters.. GDP doesn't lie.

I suppose you want to increase taxes, take money out of defense and give it to AARP, and start a bunch of useless social programs?

no thanks...

OSAMA WOULD VOTE FOR KERRY, IM VOTING FOR BUSH!

Bush the man that hates unions and working class people.

Oh and get American Soldiers killed because of a personal vendetta against Saddam.

Oh by the way, where are the WMD's?

usair_begins_with_u said:
now the economy is going gang busters.. GDP doesn't lie.
Depends on what metric is important. GDP measures productivity. In the past, it tracked very well with other economic indicators. Recently, it has not done so well.

Yes, GDP is up, and has been rising since early 2001. The job market has been rising more slowly. There are three contributing factors to this phenomenon.
  • Improvements in individual worker productivity
  • Reduced worker benefits
  • Increased international outsourcing
All three of those factors make life worse for the average line employee. So, to those at the top, the economy has improved, while to those at the bottom the economy continues to worsen. That being the case, why should you care how the GDP is doing? It has little impact on your financial condition.

Michael,

You are impressing me more and more everyday, does not sound like you, have you been replaced?

700UW said:
You are impressing me more and more everyday, does not sound like you, have you been replaced?
:lol: As I've said many times before, I'm not who you think I am.