good ariticle

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
It seems like it might be the most idyllic job -- flying around the world, getting layovers in some of the most scenic countries known to man, serving the elite in first class, ... . There are some pretty cool perks associated with becoming a flight attendant, but that doesn't mean the job is without its stresses. In fact, being a flight attendant is one of the more demanding jobs in the travel industry.

Just ask Marty. Marty has been working with one of the major carriers in the U.S. for nearly 10 years, having taken the job with an eye on it becoming his retirement career, but "after 9/11, the industry drastically changed." And how. But nearly 10 years ago, Marty started his training and the odyssey began.

On Training:

You'd be surprised at what the hiring process is actually like -- it's pretty intense. A very small percentage of people make it from the initial interview into actual training. I would say that 350 people were at my initial interview and maybe 10 of those were selected to train. So basically, they are sifting through sand for a few "nuggets." They were masterful at selection, in my opinion.

Have You Flown Lately?
What Was Your Worst Experience? Have You Ever Lost Luggage? Traveled To Chicago? Been To Los Angeles? One week of my training was very relevant to my job -- that was the safety training week. But the other five? Barbie Boot Camp might describe them very well. It's fairly rigorous, but more emotionally than physically -- there's lots of artificially induced stress to see how you work under pressure. There's also the myth that there are cameras watching everything you do, and those rumors live for years, which only adds to the training stress. The class content was very "fluffy." Some of the presenters seemed to be friends of someone who could land them the job. For example, half a day was spent with someone dryly lecturing us on four personality types and how to handle them. Yawn!

But mostly, training was five weeks of learning to use an FAA required Handbook. "If you can read, you can be a flight attendant," the instructors would joke. The remainder of the course, other than the very specific safety week, was how to set up a tray and how to open a bottle of champagne (useful, but lame none the less.) I specifically remember a hair and makeup class that we were all required to attend, but there was nothing for the men to learn. It felt like it was still the 60's. If you’re going to hire men, treat them like men even if you think they would prefer to be in the hair and makeup class! One of the public perceptions seems to be that all male flight attendant's are gay, but I'd say from my personal experience, maybe 50% are.

Have You Traveled Here?
Atlanta Chicago Cleveland Dallas Denver Detroit Fort Worth Houston Las Vegas Los Angeles Miami Minneapolis / St. Paul New York City Newark Orlando Philadelphia Phoenix San Francisco St. Louis Seattle On His First Day:

I was slotted as first flight attendant, the person in charge of the flight. Fortunately the other two flight attendants on the flight were in my class. I had no idea what I was doing because all of the training had been so concept oriented -- more role playing type situations would have helped. But just like anything else, it's experience that ultimately gets you to some level of comfort. That being said, the first six months were very stressful. The adjustment period wreaked havoc on my health.

On Unruly Passengers:

I've definitely had incidents with unruly passengers, and often they seem to involve medication or alcohol. One of the most amusing incidents I had was when a woman dropped her cell phone down the toilet. She very seriously walked up to me and asked me if there was anything that could be done. You can imagine what was going through my head and at that point... I didn't bother to ask if she had turned it on to check messages or something obvious like that. I told her that I could give her a plastic trash bag and she could "go fishing" if she wanted. About 15 minutes later, she came to me and told me that she had found it. Now wrap your mind around that one! I have never told that story to anyone who wasn't totally appalled. But on the more abusive side of things, I have heard every expletive, seen the most abusive treatment and been asked to do things like stop cracking ice. People always want to hear the dirt, but I can honestly say that the good far outweighs the bad where passengers are concerned. Public perception is mostly that the job is still like it was in the 60's and 70's.

But let me just say that if you're a passenger and you like flying, you don't want to push a situation over the edge. If the authorities get involved it will follow you for a long time and it won’t be pleasant. Set practicality and ego aside and cooperate -- you'll be glad you did. If you feel that your issue deserves to be addressed, then follow up with appropriate communication to people that can help once your flight is over. Do not escalate a situation by being pushy or belligerent.

First Class -- Page 2

Though it may seem so, I don't think that first class passengers get more respect than those in economy. They've paid for a different class of service and that's what they should expect. They’re normally business people that travel often -- often more than flight attendants -- and have miles to upgrade to another class of service. The bottom line is there are fewer seats in first class and they cost a lot more to occupy. Perception is not always accurate, or so I've found. In addition to the profession of a first class passenger, they’re often professional travelers, if you get my drift. They fly and then they have to go to work again. Often they go out once a week, sometimes twice per month, but they’re frequent travelers most often.

But passengers change when they walk through that airplane door and almost unconsciously default to defense and survival mechanisms. This is another difference between economy and first class passengers, and I think throws back to respect. First classers fly often and have more empathy for the crew's position because they just see and experience it more often. So they actually may respect us more, which makes it appear that they are receiving more respect.

:

As far as airplane food goes, it's a mixed bag. If you’re curious about the lack of airplane food these days, it's all due to dollars and cents -- it's about competition. They’re basically frozen dinners anyway… and who knows how long they've been frozen? When I first started I was appalled at how much waste there was. Nothing was recycled, and if we’re caught "recycling" anything we can be disciplined. The environmental impact was astronomical. We would often throw away 60 meals from a narrow-body flight! The reasons for this could vary, but let’s just say that hungry countries could have been fed every day with what airlines were throwing away.

But that’s just the food. There's aluminum from pop cans, plastic and more plastic and Styrofoam... it's endless and mind boggling. I could go on and on about this one. It hurts my heart every day. The bottom line is we're doing ourselves a favor by taking responsibility for either buying or bringing our own food on a plane, at least in the long run.

I think it's all pretty much in print these days -- it's just corporate America at its best and worst. Our CEO made more in one year than the airline reported as profit, and the blue collar people set the public tone day to day. Working as crew on a flight is not glamorous and it's not easy. It’s physically, mentally and emotionally very demanding. We’ve had 1/3 of our pay taken away and must work another 20 to 30 percent to try and make up the difference, but it can't be done. That part has been a bitter pill for rank and file employees to swallow.

As far as a party scene goes, I'd say it happens, but we’re randomly tested for both drugs and alcohol. Whether it's random random or not, you never know until the airplane door opens at your destination if your number is up, and then you have to follow them to a room and do your thing. They can also take you from your briefing prior to a flight and test you then. So, while people do party when there is time, that's a part of our history that lives on but is not necessarily true today. Our layovers are mostly short and don't allow time to drink and meet FAA minimum times for consumption. With all of the publicity of incidents with pilots being busted for intoxication going through security, I think people are much more professional that the people might assume. There is little mercy if you are caught stealing, drinking or doing anything illegal. And if the FAA gets involved, it will follow you forever.

On What Passengers Should Do To Make a Flight Attendant's Life Easier:

One wish for passengers to fulfill.....in 25 words or less? Get informed. Research and ask questions before you travel. Expect the unexpected. Do not expect food, clean blankets, clean headsets or bottled water. If it's there, we're glad to share it. But if it's not there... oh, this is a good one. I heard a flight attendant once say, "Miss, this is a 757 – not a 7-11" after a passenger asked for soy milk or something ridiculous. Basically, just get some understanding about what travel entails and try to go easy on us. We're working as hard as we can.

Carly is petitioning for Flight Attendant’s Appreciation Day. She can be reached via e-mail at [email protected].