Health Insurance

CaptBud330

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Let's assume the worst, we shut down and liquidate. I know we are all past puberty and the thought occurred to me, what are we all going to do abouth health insurance. I don't know what options we have except private health coverage. It would be convenient if we could form an affinity group and get a group discount.
Does anyone have any ideas? <_<

CaptBud,

I assume that COBRA would be available for 3 years, but that could be wrong. Not that it's a lot cheaper than private coverage - just a little better than what the same money would buy on the outside.

Jim

COBRA sucks...it was close to $1,000 to keep family coverage when I turned down furlough recall to stay in school. I now have private insurance..not cheap but crappy..does not cover my husband's hypertension due to preexsisting. But COBRA is a necessity to keep coverage while looking for private insurance..do not let it lapse or any condition is considered a preexsisting condition.

cobra does suck. i don't know how any one is supposed to afford it. they really arent doing you any favors by offring it oh well what are you suppoesd to do?

The interesting thing about COBRA is that you are paying your share plus the company's share of the health insurance. $1,000 for family coverage for a month? That is what you may find on the open market. My parents are near 60 and owned their own business for about 10 years. They paid over $1,000 a month to cover the two of them. One of the reasons they sold out is that they could not keep paying premiums that steep, but could not say no to the coverage due to their age and my dad's previous heart troubles. A lot of people complain about paying more as employees for medical coverage, but it gives a good view of what it costs to keep employees on the books. Imagine what small businesses pay.

N628AU,

You are correct about the cost - another unfortunate side effect of the age of our workforce due to downsizing. Not enough young people in the group to average down the age, and thus the cost.

Jim

Is it better to have no pay and medical insurance while on unemployment or to participate in the new business plan and have pay and benefits, like family medical insurance, while seeking another job?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

It was so nice over the weekend on the boards as someone was obviously missing!!! Can't say I missed his posts!!!!! I still say he should be in managment....I did not realize how stupid most of us were until I began reading his posts.