Hello Charlotte

RDU and CLT are both realistic......If i live in CLT and have a 2 or so hour drive, i am NOT going to pay almost 3.00 a gallon for gas. I think the current gas prices protect competition from 2+hour drives... IF SWA would go to CVG....do you think that will take business from SDF and CMH? doubt it... people are complaining about their drives to work let alone 2 hours to an airport. get real people. SWA is not stupid and they might just do it

CLT is a three hour drive from RDU. GSO would not "wallup" CLT, if that were the case, CAL would have stayed with its "peanut fares" in the 1990s.

While I harbor no ill will toward you folks at SW, why is that y'all so desperately want US (and us) to fail? Do you really thrive on watching hard working people lose their jobs. If that's the case, you really need to change your LUV moniker to HAT(e).

I'm sure that Charlotteans would love to see SWA begin service. At the same time, I feel certain that they would be quickly be disappointed by what they would ultimately end up with if USA went away for good. While service to PHX, BWI, PVD, BNA and LAS would be welcome, the loss of service to three European cities, and non-stops to more places than any other city of its size in the world would be a real bummer to businesses.

CLTBWIDAYSYR said:
CLT is a three hour drive from RDU. GSO would not "wallup" CLT, if that were the case, CAL would have stayed with its "peanut fares" in the 1990s.

While I harbor no ill will toward you folks at SW, why is that y'all so desperately want US (and us) to fail? Do you really thrive on watching hard working people lose their jobs. If that's the case, you really need to change your LUV moniker to HAT(e).

I'm sure that Charlotteans would love to see SWA begin service. At the same time, I feel certain that they would be quickly be disappointed by what they would ultimately end up with if USA went away for good. While service to PHX, BWI, PVD, BNA and LAS would be welcome, the loss of service to three European cities, and non-stops to more places than any other city of its size in the world would be a real bummer to businesses.
[post="307872"][/post]​

Do not kid yourself. Many people drive from CLT to RDU for better fares. As far as the distance/travel time from CLT to RDU, I can easily drive from center city Charlotte to RDU in 2.5 hours or less.

I have lived in CLT for 5 years now and have yet to step foot on a US Airways flight, and I have managed just fine traveling both domestic and international. I have refused to contribute any monies to US Airways due to their pricing on flights from CLT where there is no competition.

I have many friends who travel regular on business from CLT and their employers will not allow them to fly US due to pricing from CLT. They are required to fly DL or NW.

In short, if the “newâ€￾ US continues with the same pricing in the future from CLT, CLT will remain a connecting hub with little O&D traffic while RDU continues to grow at a much faster pace – the Southwest effect.

Do not get me wrong. I hope US the best and hope that they can grow and become profitable. However, it is going to require some changes. I will not book any travel on US while they advertise being “a low fare carrierâ€￾ on the US website while charging over $500 for a trip of less than 150 to 200 air miles. I would pay $200 to $250 (not Southwest fares), r/t, for such travel. Hopefully the new management will have enough sense to do things to attract passengers instead of push them away like the “oldâ€￾ US Airways has done for many years.

TXL said:
Do not kid yourself.  Many people drive from CLT to RDU for better fares.  As far as the distance/travel time from CLT to RDU, I can easily drive from center city Charlotte to RDU in 2.5 hours or less. 

I have lived in CLT for 5 years now and have yet to step foot on a US Airways flight, and I have managed just fine traveling both domestic and international.  I have refused to contribute any monies to US Airways due to their pricing on flights from CLT where there is no competition. 

I have many friends who travel regular on business from CLT and their employers will not allow them to fly US due to pricing from CLT.  They are required to fly DL or NW.

In short, if the “new†US continues with the same pricing in the future from CLT, CLT will remain a connecting hub with little O&D traffic while RDU continues to grow at a much faster pace – the Southwest effect.

Do not get me wrong.  I hope US the best and hope that they can grow and become profitable.  However, it is going to require some changes.  I will not book any travel on US while they advertise being “a low fare carrier†on the US website while charging over $500 for a trip of less than 150 to 200 air miles.  I would pay $200 to $250 (not Southwest fares), r/t,  for such travel.  Hopefully the new management will have enough sense to do things to attract passengers instead of push them away like the “old†US Airways has done for many years.
[post="307911"][/post]​
Well sais. Savy

CLTBWIDAYSYR said:
.... why is that y'all so desperately want US (and us) to fail? Do you really thrive on watching hard working people lose their jobs.

We're not mad at the employees of US. What we're really peeved at is the never-ending financial assistance red-ink airlines receive while SW, the one pre-deregulation airline that has never asked for the govenment's cash, continues to be punished by the last bastion stifiling fair competition, the Wright Amendment. (www.setlovefree.com) It just doesn't seem correct for a nation that promotes a "free market economy" to do everything possible to ensure the airline industry doesn't benefit from this practice. The Wright Amendment is nothing more than protectionist policy in action.

If you and your fellow USAirways employees get on the boat insisting that congress repeals the Wright Amendment we'll be able to focus our expansion on our home town of Dallas while you strengthen your own operations. Keep the Wright Amendment in place and we'll expand elsewhere, probably right in your front yard. I can guarantee that we'll be a formidable presence.

I think that we could see another small city on the radar soon as the Boeing strike is over. GSO or CAE, even CVG would fit the bill for just 10 flights a day. With 10 flights, SWA would only be looking for about 1000 local passengers a day to be very profitable and I think they can do that without cannabilizing any existing city. Just my thoughts............

corl737 said:
We're not mad at the employees of US. What we're really peeved at is the never-ending financial assistance red-ink airlines receive while SW, the one pre-deregulation airline that has never asked for the govenment's cash, continues to be punished by the last bastion stifiling fair competition, the Wright Amendment. (www.setlovefree.com) It just doesn't seem correct for a nation that promotes a "free market economy" to do everything possible to ensure the airline industry doesn't benefit from this practice. The Wright Amendment is nothing more than protectionist policy in action.

If you and your fellow USAirways employees get on the boat insisting that congress repeals the Wright Amendment we'll be able to focus our expansion on our home town of Dallas while you strengthen your own operations. Keep the Wright Amendment in place and we'll expand elsewhere, probably right in your front yard. I can guarantee that we'll be a formidable presence.
[post="308087"][/post]​
For what it's worth, I think the Wright Amendment is stupid, but from what I know, the folks who control DFW are just as responsible for it standing as the powers that be at AA. But the idea that SW would simply focus on DAL if the Amendment went away is a funny one. SW is out for blood and won't be happy till it's the only game in town.

As for TXL, you are exactly right. Pricing is an an odd bird. And while I won't disagree with you in terms of the $500 ticket, I will use the example I've used many times before. Airfares aren't out of line when viewed in terms of inflation. It cost my mom and dad $250 to buy me a ticket on Piedmont Airlines from CLT to DCA in 1975. Adjusted for inflation, that $250 comes to about $936.40 today. What that doesn't take into account are things like healthcare costs, fuel prices (both increasing FAR, FAR faster than the rate of inflation) and the like. So while everybody complains about how expensive fares are, in reality they haven't kept pace with the price of most other services in this country.

The SW model won't work everywhere or for everybody. Case in point, if US goes away, nearly 30 American cities will be without ANY air service. Do you really think SW is going to start flying 737s to Florence, SC, New Bern, NC, Salisbury, MD, DuBois, PA, etc.? I very seriously doubt it.

At any rate, all a moot point. I am not seeking to get into an arguement, I simply would like to see SW employees not gloat so much when the livlihood of tens of thousands of people is at stake.

Doesn't 80% of the business traffic in Dallas, reside withing a 10 mile arc of DAL? If so why would you want the Wright Amendment lifted? IF SO, you have had your own government protection and subsidy for 30 years, as SWA has been protected from incursion into its own territory while SWA could go and invade others' territories at a time when the legacies were stronger and SWA was not the 900 pound gorrilla it is today. It seems the Wright Amendment made Southwest. I have no ill will against SWA, they are fine airline, it is just a case of "watch what you ask for, you may get it". Is this true or am I wrong?

luvn737s said:
More gorilla talk. Put a banana in it! :)
[post="308121"][/post]​

luvn737's, heres a post of yours from 22Sep:

>>>> "Now WN has begun earning that target with their 900 lb. gorilla attitude. Even they are vulnerable to 10 100lb gorillas". <<<<<<<

It seems you have a strange attraction to the Gorilla family, with todays gorilla talk and bananas post and the one above about Gorillas and attitudes. But its not just apes, you made the following post the other day, again revolving around animals:

>>>>"Being a pilot will never be what it was regardless. The horse has been let out of the barn by the unions who thought they knew all about horses, it jumped the fence, ran down the road and was hit by a fuel tanker truck with Katrina on the side. A guy named Kelleher ground up the carcass into something you fed your dog RJ and everytime you smell the horsemeat on his breath, you blame him for killing the horse". <<<<<<

I think when you made that horse meat, Kelleher, fuel tank driver, hurricane Katrina dis-jointed, rambling post I told you perhaps the reason your dogs breath smelled odd was because you were smelling the wrong end of him....AGAIN. Now get your nose out of your poor dogs rear end and get some fresh air son....LMAO, :p .

These animal analogies of yours are indeed odd, perhaps your handle should be, "luvnAPES" or perhaps, "luvn-the-smell-of-horsemeat-on-my-dogs-butt-oops-breath". :D

Your mom said you had to turn off the computer and go to bed, it's a school night.

I think any repeal of the Wright Amendment should be tied to a requirement for DAL to build more and longer runways, additional gates and subsidies to attract new entrants. Let's eliminate all pretense of favoritism. Let's put a big fat bond issue (or better yet a sales tax increase) to a vote and see just how much "LUV" there is in DAL.

Or do what AUS and DEN did and eliminate the need for taxpayers to support two major airports by closing one.