Hidden Agenda?

orangeman

Advanced
Oct 5, 2003
Scottsdale, AZ.
Visit site
Haven't heard this opinion yet. Comments? :unsure:

America West foolishly bets the farm
As P.T. Barnum allegedly once said: "There is a sucker born every minute." And so it is with America West Airlines and several other companies that have decided to pump hundreds of millions of dollars into twice-bankrupt US Airways.
America West is betting the farm on this merger bid for US Airways. The Arizona-based airline has decided to commit suicide; that's the only explanation I can fathom. CEO Doug Parker and his staff must have stayed out in that Arizona sun too long if they think they can turn around an airline that lost more than $600 million in 2004 and another $190 million in the first quarter of 2005 despite billions of dollars in cost reductions and federally backed loans.

This proposed merger is fraught with problems. For starters there is a clash of cultures old and new. Launched in 1983, America West is a relative newcomer to the industry: US Airways has been around much longer. There is sure to be bad blood with many US Airways employees having far more seniority than those at America West.

Then there is the clash of culture when east meets west. Both carriers are primarily regional airlines serving opposite coasts. There is very little overlap in the airlines' route structures. This could be a good thing in a merger, and many believe the combination will create a national network that will rival the big guys. But one essential piece is missing: Each carrier lacks a major hub in the heart of the country.

US Airways serves many smaller cities along the Eastern Seaboard and America West's routes are concentrated in the Southwest. America West's hubs in Las Vegas and Phoenix are located far west and US Airways' hubs in Philadelphia and Charlotte are located far east. Having one more centrally located hub in Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Minneapolis or St. Louis could change the entire picture. But these hubs are spoken for and other airlines are already entrenched.

Both airlines already tried and failed to manage operations on the opposite coast. America West pulled down its unprofitable Columbus, Ohio, hub in 2003. US Airways abandoned an extensive West Coast route network after the carrier acquired PSA (a regional airline based in California) in the late 1980s. It's difficult to operate a bicoastal airline when there isn't much in the middle.

There is also a clash of cost structures. Now in its second bankruptcy, US Airways' survival is a long shot. The carrier is losing more than $2 million per day and its cost-per-seat mile is still more than 10 cents when low cost competitors are averaging 7 to 8 cents per seat mile. With all of the cash infusions, employee concessions and relief from creditors, US Airways will continue to lose money if it emerges from bankruptcy.

Having survived one bankruptcy from 1991-1994 and narrowly avoiding another in 2001 thanks to a federally backed loan of $429 million, America West has reduced its cost per seat mile to less than 8 cents. This allows the carrier to successfully compete in the Southwestern USA, an area dominated by low-cost airlines since deregulation. With a competitive cost structure, America West can afford to match Southwest Airlines prices, in spite of soaring fuel costs.

Discrepancy in airline size creates another clash. America West managed to turn a profit of $50 million in the last quarter. But this would not offset the enormous losses incurred by US Airways. The combined airline would not be a low-cost carrier and would still have lost approximately $140 million in the same period if the carriers merged.

Though the new airline may raise up to $2 billion in cash to begin operations, the combined carrier will still carry many more billions of dollars in debt and it won't take long to burn through the rest of that cash when they are currently losing almost $1 billion each year.

With the price of fuel more than 50% higher than at this time last year and no relief in sight, I cannot see how America West can possibly turn US Airways around. America West trying to save US Airways is like a rowboat trying to save the Titanic. Both will go under.

Amid all the doom and gloom there is some possible good news for US Airways customers…at least in the short term. The merger could breathe new life into the dying carrier. With the help of America West and other investors, US Airways could be rescued temporarily from liquidation. The infusion of cash from America West could keep the sinking ship afloat for a while longer.

If you are a member of America West's frequent-flier program, there is good news as long as the carrier survives this merger. Your miles will most likely be usable on any Star Alliance carrier, such as Lufthansa, SAS or Singapore Airlines. You will also be able fly to such US Airways destinations as Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach and many European and Caribbean ports of call.

Of course, America West could have another agenda for US Airways – liquidation. If America West gained control of the failing airline for a mere $100 million and then sold off the assets piece by piece, they could offload debt and eliminate unprofitable routes and duplicate resources. America West could essentially "cherry pick" the most profitable routes and assets, such as the shuttle or some international routes.

American Airlines deployed a similar strategy, acquiring dying TWA several years ago in a "fire sale" only to unload most of the assets and furlough most employees. Sadly, it's a lot easier to liquidate than integrate. Yes, it's nasty business, but perhaps a more rational explanation for America West's perplexing interest.

Oddly enough, the liquidation of US Airways is the one scenario in this merger that could save America West. But integration or liquidation, US Airways' fate is sealed. The carrier will cease to exist in the long term whether the merger goes through or not.

Also on AWA board :)

Of course, America West could have another agenda for US Airways – liquidation. If America West gained control of the failing airline for a mere $100 million and then sold off the assets piece by piece, they could offload debt and eliminate unprofitable routes and duplicate resources. America West could essentially "cherry pick" the most profitable routes and assets, such as the shuttle or some international routes.

American Airlines deployed a similar strategy, acquiring dying TWA several years ago in a "fire sale" only to unload most of the assets and furlough most employees. Sadly, it's a lot easier to liquidate than integrate. Yes, it's nasty business, but perhaps a more rational explanation for America West's perplexing interest.

Oddly enough, the liquidation of US Airways is the one scenario in this merger that could save America West. But integration or liquidation, US Airways' fate is sealed. The carrier will cease to exist in the long term whether the merger goes through or not.
etops1
post Mar 28 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Founder's Club
Member No.: 3,056

on thursday i was in clt waiting to work a trip when i saw lakefeild waiting to board a flt to rsw. i went over and introed my self to him . he wad very ni8ce and we sat and chatted for at least 30 min. i asked him what the deal was. he told me "feul" said that "feul is killing us" i asked him how much longer can we go like this he said that if fule does not go down or "united does not buy us" we will be gone in june. no b/s. thats what he told me. but said if things do not change then its over. said that there is no way he will come bakc to labor for more money. the labor costs are where they want them if not even lower. aslo told me that there are many airlines out there that want to purchase airways but only assets not the employees including aw. the only airline that is willing to purchase assets and employees is ual. said that he will not make a deal with an airline that does not have our mainline employees interest at hand.
he seemed very honest . he told me there was no reason to b/s me. its reality.
UAL suddenly fails to help us out??
crystal balls sez.............. ;)

ALl I gotta say to Orangeman is DUH.......

HP wanna get bigger and merging with U is the fast way to get there
without having to go through the bidding process in a CH7 proceeding,

The new Usairways will have a hub in the heart of america...they can have a marketting agreement with United,

"saving U" is not the reason for the merger its a means to the end
being competitive.

The reality is some people will lose jobs.....
so my advise for the higher senority folks is if you are able to, take early outs as its offered.

A big chunk of the cost will be gone after the shrinking of management in CCY....
Planes will be returned ...

But after the whole merger is complete (approx 2-3 years)..the New Usairways will be a strong airline.

So to hell with the dumb pundits trying to belittle this merger and suggesting it cannot work.

I believe the merger and the success of the new airline have a better than 50% chance to make it

It's difficult to operate a bicoastal airline when there isn't much in the middle.

What about B6? They seem to do it...

So to hell with the dumb pundits trying to belittle this merger and suggesting it cannot work.

I believe the merger and the success of the new airline have a better than 50% chance to make it

It's an optimistic outlook, but it sounds eerily familiar to what my friends at TWA were saying 4 years ago... and look at them now. You can't deny that HP's interest in US is a little bit mysterious, if not confusing. I like the analogy of a rowboat trying to rescue the Titanic... and you have to admit, it is a little like that. Truth be told, I don't doubt Lakefield would push through a merger if he knows there is no other choice... that or liquidate immediately... regardless of what future it may or may not hold for U's employees.

orangeman said:
Haven't heard this opinion yet. Comments? :unsure:

Then there is the clash of culture when east meets west. Both carriers are primarily regional airlines serving opposite coasts. There is very little overlap in the airlines' route structures. This could be a good thing in a merger, and many believe the combination will create a national network that will rival the big guys. But one essential piece is missing: Each carrier lacks a major hub in the heart of the country.
US Airways serves many smaller cities along the Eastern Seaboard and America West's routes are concentrated in the Southwest. America West's hubs in Las Vegas and Phoenix are located far west and US Airways' hubs in Philadelphia and Charlotte are located far east. Having one more centrally located hub in Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Minneapolis or St. Louis could change the entire picture. But these hubs are spoken for and other airlines are already entrenched.

[post="272444"][/post]​

If the merger goes through and the combined airlines new management choose to consider a centrally located hub, Kansas City the once Eastern Airlines mid west hub is centrally located and under utilized.

As for the rest of the article, the best thing that could happen to the airline industry would be for exactly what many fear, The picking apart and selling off of US Airways assets.

US Airways management has turned this once proud airline into a cancer that is eating away the rest of the airline industry.

As I sit back and watch the rest of the industry follow the US Airways "cost savings plan" ( cancelled pensions, pay cuts, benefit cuts, work rule changes, out sourcing), management incentive bonus programs, I wonder when the line will be drawn.

No one knows how this will end but one thing is for sure, any scenario that does not include US Airways management is going to be good for the industry and its workers.

linemech.

"Both airlines already tried and failed to manage operations on the opposite coast. America West pulled down its unprofitable Columbus, Ohio, hub in 2003. US Airways abandoned an extensive West Coast route network after the carrier acquired PSA (a regional airline based in California) in the late 1980s. It's difficult to operate a bicoastal airline when there isn't much in the middle."

Could this be remedied with

A. Further consolidation with UAL (merger) with a DEN hub

B. Aquiring DEN properties/assets from UAL

C. Fly larger equipment on routes between PHL/CLT and PHX/LAS for more volume

You say 2-3 yrs for the merger to be complete?

in 3.5 yrs I put in MY RETIREMENT PAPERS>.Hope to be out jun 01,2009..
One way or another I'm OUTTA HERE>>

It's on MY TERMS NOT THEIRS>>> :up:

The pre-merger liquidation of US Airways and a small part of America West has already been done with facility consolidation, outsourcing of work, and 81 aircraft removed from combined fleet.

US Airways has reached new agreements with Air Wisconsin, Republic, Air Canada, Airbus and other companies to build an integrated network. These people are not going to put their money where their mouth is if there was going to be liquidation.

Those people posting liquidation comments on this message board are the normal doomsayers who have been proven wrong over-and-over gain.

Finally, as I have said before, there will be a Midwest presence and there are a number of factors yet to be played out that will determine its extent.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

linemech said:
If the merger goes through and the combined airlines new management choose to consider a centrally located hub, Kansas City the once Eastern Airlines mid west hub is centrally located and under utilized.
[post="272482"][/post]​

Kansas City is AWFUL for hub operations. We are just now getting around to putting restrooms on the other side of security, there are NO concessions in the secured area - about the most gates you'd have in a secure area is 4, otherwise you have to reclear security if your connection is not in the 4 gate area. MCI is certainly nicely located in the middle of the country, but it was built in the 1970's when life was a lot different than it is today.

USA320Pilot said:
The pre-merger liquidation of US Airways and a small part of America West has already been done with facility consolidation, outsourcing of work, and 81 aircraft removed from combined fleet.

US Airways has reached new agreements with Air Wisconsin, Republic, Air Canada, Airbus and other companies to build an integrated network. These people are not going to put their money where their mouth is if there was going to be liquidation.

Those people posting liquidation comments on this message board are the normal doomsayers who have been proven wrong over-and-over gain.

Finally, as I have said before, there will be a Midwest presence and there are a number of factors yet to be played out that will determine its extent.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="272496"][/post]​
so you liquidate your company and its employees lock,stock and barrel through an aquisition.
you said before that the survivabilty of the airline was the paramount then switched to the survival of the network.....looks like thats all that will be left in the end....
i just can't see awa/u holding off untill all U's contracts become amendable in '08/'09 in this hostile business environment ....they just can't the afford wait.
sure lots will put up front monies but its not for U its for a network of routes most likely scavenged to only the most profitable,resulting in furloughs and job loss across the board.
you will not hear parker or lakefield in front of a microphone crowing about closing pit or clt or wherever at this point in time either....it won't make the aquisition work,you know that...the less said the better......but in due time much will be said....take it to the bank and watch for another 11 o'clock suprise..
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

DellDude:

You are one of the most pessimistic people on this message board and there will be merger job loss, which is one of the reasons why the company is seeking to have severance paid to management at the May 31 hearing. Secretaries, Payroll clerks, Planners, Analysts, and other MSP people will lose their job and that’s part of the cost savings.

US Airways and America West have already announced the aircraft pull downs and I believe you will see pruning, more 90-seat RJ expansion, and maybe more outsourcing, but I do not share your pessimism and apparently the financial community does not either.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

KCFlyer said:
Kansas City is AWFUL for hub operations. We are just now getting around to putting restrooms on the other side of security, there are NO concessions in the secured area - about the most gates you'd have in a secure area is 4, otherwise you have to reclear security if your connection is not in the 4 gate area. MCI is certainly nicely located in the middle of the country, but it was built in the 1970's when life was a lot different than it is today.
[post="272500"][/post]​

You beat me to it. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE KC layovers. That Westin Crown Center is a super hotel, and that barbeque place down by the railroad tracks in that old warehouse/entertainment district is super.

However, as you said, lack of amenities inside security makes people wait until the last minute to go to the gate. Also, if I'm reading it right, the SMSA for KC shows a population of less than 1 million in the last census. I don't think that's big enough to support a major hub in this day and age.

USA320Pilot said:
DellDude:

You are one of the most pessimistic people on this message board and there will be merger job loss, which is one of the reasons why the company is seeking to have severance paid to management at the May 31 hearing. Secretaries, Payroll clerks, Planners, Analysts, and other MSP people will lose their job and that’s part of the cost savings.

US Airways and America West have already announced the aircraft pull downs and I believe you will see pruning, more 90-seat RJ expansion, and maybe more outsourcing, but I do not share your pessimism and apparently the financial community does not either.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="272508"][/post]​
i like to think of it as optimistically pessimistic....
but kind sir , you do realize these people who U wants to give severance already have an existing amount...they only want to sweeten the deal for lousy performance....why then do they not up the severance for labor at the same time??

but I do not share your pessimism and apparently the financial community does not either.
mike boyd and usa today seem to somewhat....
Moody's said the two companies combined would continue to face a difficult operating environment. Moody's currently rates America West's senior unsecured debt at "Caa2."

Caa2 is non investment grade debt.. Also known as "Junk" ;)

i'm begining to see things more clearly thanks to you....

Latest posts