Hidden Agenda?

North by Northwest said:
The amount of "destinations" appear irrelevent. The important context is RPKs/ and REVENUE generated. Who cares if you fly to 100 destinations in Europe when your RPKs are tiny and your revenue is the same. Example : Northwest serves 5 European capitols with the 3 or 4th largest amount of RPKs and revenue generated. JMHO.
[post="273275"][/post]​

It matters to anyone trying to get to Madrid, Barcelona, or Venice. If your starting out in CMH, you make one stop on US Airways and two stops on NW/KL.

Former ModerAAtor said:
As North by Northwest said, the number of destinations is totally irrelevant as a performance metric. AA may only operate to 13 cities, but has 39 flights a day. London alone accounts for 19 of those departures. I'll wager that those 19 departures from LHR and LGW bring in a far higher yield than all of US's or UA's destinations combined. Perhaps an unfair comparison, since UA has outsourced so much of its Europe flying to LH, SK, and BD...
[post="273290"][/post]​

Former,

Not to quibble, but while we certainly have done some shrinking we haven't gone that far. Last I checked United still goes to LHR. 12 times a day from 5 gateways. 9x 777, 2x 767, and 1x 747. We also do 5x a day to FRA, 3x CDG, 2x AMS, 1x MUC (soon 2x), 1x BRU, 1x ZRH, 1x BDA. If my math and map reading skills are ok thats 27 Atlantic departures a day to 8 cities. So I doubt that AMR's 19 departures from LHR/LGW "bring in far higher yield than UA's european cities combined"

"There's a lot more to the world than North America-Europe.... "

So true.....we do 13 cities in the Pacific (Asia/Austrailia) and 19 Latin America/South America. Not gonna count Canada since they are really a suburb of the USA anyways. (No offense to my canadian neighbors)

So I agree that its not the number of cities but the number of seats flown that is important. Just hope there are bodies in those seats. :shock:

DC

funguy2 said:
It matters to anyone trying to get to Madrid, Barcelona, or Venice. If your starting out in CMH, you make one stop on US Airways and two stops on NW/KL.
[post="273291"][/post]​

Must not matter too many folk, otherwise why all the alliances?

While nonstops to anywhere, not just international destinations, are nice. Pax are willing to go wherever, with as many stops, as long as the price is right and they get the miles.

DC

Light Years said:
:blink: Is Bermuda considered transatlantic? US Airways is the largest carrier in Bermuda.
[post="273395"][/post]​

:lol: I never said Transatlantic just atlantic departures....

DC

Latest posts