Holiday Surprise

To the non-U employees,

I think the gripe is two-fold.

1. We are all aware Dave inherited a s**t sandwich, and has limited manuevering room. However, we have seen absolutely NOTHING yet that W and G would not have done, if they had not pissed off the troops so badly we wouldn't have given them the time of day. The question always was, is Dave the real deal (labor friendly, new ideas, etc.), or a Wolf in sheep's clothing. I gave this guy every benefit of the doubt, but in my view, the needle is swinging towards the Wolf side of the meter. I find it intriguing that Dave MUST do what Wolf wanted to do. The ultimate fig leaf - the Devil (Wolf) made me do it!

2. In support of the above, I have knowledge of lies and deceipt, promulgated and supported by management, that should not be tolerated, but is. This was SOP under the old regime, and it has not changed.

[blockquote]
----------------
...Security lines, and Gate lines are long, with barely any agents to process them, flight delays, TSA hassles continuing
----------------
[/blockquote]

As a former US Agent and current TSA employee, I can refute that statement. TSA has now been on the job for months at most airports and speed has increased dramatically since the bulk of training is completed. Hassle??? What hassle? Do you not want additional security? I guess not. But remember, you don't have a job at all without us giving these passengers reason to trust their very lives on your planes. So please don't refer to the additional screening all must go through as some kinda hassle. It is necessary, was necessary, and will probably forever be necessary. Live with it just like being forced to wear socks. You don't refer to putting on your socks as a hassle do you? I greet friendly faces all day who are happy to see us and see us working for their safety and their safety alone. Those few who view us as a hassle are just plain ignorant about their job, our job, the current situation, and why passengers are returning to the skies. It's not you being there to help them get a better seat, it's because we are there to make them safer than ever before!

Lilninj

UAL777, I have read many of your post and while I may not agree with your conclusions, nobody can say your opinions are not intellegent and well thought out. That being said, please answer this for me. Has Dave or management in your opinion EVER made any mistakes, or errors of anykind no matter how small? The reason I am asking is simply because from all the post I have read by you, I have never seen you disagree with anything that U does. And to me that is a little strange as everbody will disagree on something.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/22/2002 7:41:41 PM Lilninj wrote:

As a former US Agent and current TSA employee, I can refute that statement. TSA has now been on the job for months at most airports and speed has increased dramatically since the bulk of training is completed. Hassle??? What hassle? Lilninj
----------------
[/blockquote]

For now there is still the hassle factor at the gate for random screening. This will of course change soon when everyone will need a boarding pass to get to the gate and will be checked at the main security checkpoint if needed, but the gate searches are a pain.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/21/2002 12:11:16 PM UAL777flyer wrote:
gilbertguy,
However, that said, I believe Siegel is doing everything he can to try to preserve U's future and prosperity, either as an independent (highly unlikely in my view), or aligned with a larger, network carrier that could ultimately lead to a full-on merger.
----------------
[/blockquote]

IMHO, there is practically zero chance of USAirways ever merging with another carrier. No carrier wants to take on top-of-the-pay-scale U employees...they'd rather hire new scale B folks off the street. Given all the laid off airline employees littering the landscape, they would have plenty of high quality, experienced help from which to choose. It is much more likely that U would be sold off in chunks. Other airlines want gates, landing slots at DCA and LGA, and, assuming there's compatibility, U's fleet (at least the newer ABs). Unfortunately, regardless of how dedicated, customer service oriented, and hard working U's employees are, that won't count for much in today's environment where air travel is becoming a commodity where the lowest cost provider wins.

I had my holiday suprise earlier this week...a layoff notice. Merry Christmas this year, YOU'RE UNEMPLOYED! Someday Dave will get what he deserves. Hope the rest of you at least get a block of cheese.

JonC-[BR]Sorry to hear the bad news. However, keep in mind if Dave gets what's coming to him as you imply, there won't be a company to come back to. I've talked to a lot of bitter furloughed employees, and it just dumbfounds me as to why they wish the company goes under just because they are no longer employed there. Hello! If the company succeeds you get your job back - again - if you want it. Everyone needs to just understand this business is never, ever, going to go back to where it was; meaning, it's a whole new ballgame for better and for worse.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/24/2002 2:50:06 PM exjetgurl wrote:

JonC-
Sorry to hear the bad news. However, keep in mind if Dave gets what's coming to him as you imply, there won't be a company to come back to. I've talked to a lot of bitter furloughed employees, and it just dumbfounds me as to why they wish the company goes under just because they are no longer employed there. Hello! If the company succeeds you get your job back - again - if you want it. Everyone needs to just understand this business is never, ever, going to go back to where it was; meaning, it's a whole new ballgame for better and for worse.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I've basicly given up on getting my job back. Let's see...I've worked for US Airways for almost six years. I got one raise, when I got promoted. Now, I am responsible for much more, but making less money than when I started in my position. In January, I have the privilege of having my benefits hacked.

Honestly, I can do better elsewhere. Maybe not in aviation, but somewhere my skills are much more marketable than this. Seriously, US Airways must be trying to get on the Top 100 Worst Places to work. I'm not volunteering any more.

I hope that getting laid off means I was a lucky one who got in one of the Titanic's life boats and who got a job before the ship sank.

The sad reality is, I doubt recall will ever come to us junior guys. The list will just be too long ahead of us so we're doomed anyway. Then, we're seeing guys get recalled only to get furloughed again a month later because the beancounters have their head up their ---. I know many stories of people who gave up new jobs to come back, only to get tossed out with the latest round of Happy Holidays layoffs. Geesh, you think that the grinch could at least wait until after Christmas. There were many people who were, I kid you not, back on the payroll for a month or less before getting flushed again. IS THAT ANYWAY TO TREAT PEOPLE?! Now, they're back on the street, lost their new job and screwed by US Airways.

I understand the financial situation. Regardless of that, US management seems to be in total disarray with how its treating employees. We still have 30 or so vice-presidents, we are PAINTING freakin' airplanes, we have some of the most expensive office space in the nation for our HQ. Oh, we're still paying rather a high severance package to Wolf and Gangwal. So, there's plenty of fat to be cut, but where they are cutting now - it will tick off customers, potentially impact safety and disgruntle what employees are left.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/25/2002 8:29:55 AM ua767fo wrote:

Jon.....with a furlough notice, the company is doing nothing but using you. Frankly, I would use every bit of sick time you have until you leave, and use that time productively.

DENVER,CO
----------------
[/blockquote]

Exactly. I worked for US Airways for almost seven years and never called in sick. As soon as I heard my time to go was about here, I got every possible medical problem that I'd been procrastinating on looked into. I burned almost four weeks of sick time in my last six weeks at US Airways. Plus, all the insurance costs I ran up for them :). I intended to make my departure rather expensive for them and I did what I could do. Not to mention when I occasionally showed up at work, I showed up and that was about it. I wanted to be productive at work, I like doing my job - but I eventually learned to find a little corner to sleep in, like many coworkers of mine. (Many of which still have their jobs .)

One of the stupidest policies that US has is the use it or lose it policy with sick time. There is absolutely no incentive not to call in sick - ooooh, the upgrades. After my six 1/2 year run of perfect attendance I accumulated more of those than I can think of.

The reason why I didn't call in sick was that I was a good employee and didn't want to exasperate an existing personell shortage. Once they screwed with me, I no longer was going to play nicely.

If you have sick time left in your bank when your career gets murdered, you were among the stupidest people to ever work for US Airways. You just gave something up to the company that ruined your life.

Jon.....with a furlough notice, the company is doing nothing but using you. Frankly, I would use every bit of sick time you have until you leave, and use that time productively.

DENVER,CO