Houston Newspaper reporting ' 600 ' WN employess with covid-19.

Not sure which IAH paper I read this from today (tuesday).

600 WNers with covid-19.
Many F/A's

Here's one that says it, but also has a conflicting comment from company. Looks to me as they took our co's comment that way less than 1% of employees have tested positive has been mixed up, shuffled around and reprinted as if 1% was tested positive. Just another media doom and gloom for bait for folks to click on.

Since Houston has 2 daily (what would be called major) newspapers the source would have to be either the Houston Post or the Houston Chronicle.

Corrections and Additions...

After much googling I have found nothing on the subject in Houston papers, only Houston TV stations local news. Only newspaper reporting this story is Dallas Morning News.

Fox News needs to make a try for the 21st Century. They referred to flight attendants as "cabin stewards." Cabin stewards? Term not used since the 1950s. And, they would have to change it to cabin stewardesses--of the female gender. Only International flights had male attendants starting in the 1960s who were referred to as stewards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev3188
Here's one that says it, but also has a conflicting comment from company. Looks to me as they took our co's comment that way less than 1% of employees have tested positive has been mixed up, shuffled around and reprinted as if 1% was tested positive. Just another media doom and gloom for bait for folks to click on.

swamt.

Not trying to spread doom and gloom, honestly.
What I thought was Most Prominent, was the amount of F/A's, who are(like all airlines), is that the F/A's are 'cooped up' with each other all day, along with the pax, in that aluminum tube.

swamt.

Not trying to spread doom and gloom, honestly.
What I thought was Most Prominent, was the amount of F/A's, who are(like all airlines), is that the F/A's are 'cooped up' with each other all day, along with the pax, in that aluminum tube.

I know Bears. Not saying you were spreading the D&G, it's the media spreading the D&G, to get ratings.
I agree with you on the "crammed in the tube" and the possible transfers and such.
I only hope that not 600 F/A's have been infected or tested positive. It really suks as the F/A's had no warnings until about 2 weeks into it. And even then they were still wondering what to do at that point.
I hope and pray that all airline employees stay healthy and safe...

Our CEO didn’t give numbers yesterday, but said it’s safe to assume that the percentage of DL people with it is likely the same percentage as the US population in general.

I believe we’ve had 2 die from it already (both on the ramp).

My guess is we’re all gonna be doing a lot of mourning before this is all done.

Our CEO didn’t give numbers yesterday, but said it’s safe to assume that the percentage of DL people with it is likely the same percentage as the US population in general.

I believe we’ve had 2 die from it already (both on the ramp).

My guess is we’re all gonna be doing a lot of mourning before this is all done.

SO Sad, but SO True, Kev !!

I think it was Kev who said 20K Delta employees took the leave option. I just read where we (SWA) had 20K plus take one of the 3 leave options. Man, that's good for everyone as 20K would be 1/3 or 33%. I hope more have the choice of doing so.

Forgot to add the article.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/ab17e31...er-20,000-southwest.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Note this is for March request for April, and hearing more might sign up for May. They also have almost all office workers working from home that can.
I'm telling you all, when this is all said and done, the new business world will be the majority working from home. Co's will save $$$ in the future over not having to provide so much square footage of office space, furniture, break rooms with machines and equipment, etc... They will also be able to pay their employees more with the savings. Employees will also save from not commuting, (fuel and ware and tear on vehicles) as well as adjustments to their insurance policies for not driving in so much traffic and distances. It will also give workers more time at home with families and yet still getting "more" work done than when reporting to work. Studies have already been done to show this.

Forgot to add the article.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/ab17e318-781b-373a-ab41-ba34582f2dc0/over-20,000-southwest.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Note this is for March request for April, and hearing more might sign up for May. They also have almost all office workers working from home that can.
I'm telling you all, when this is all said and done, the new business world will be the majority working from home. Co's will save $$$ in the future over not having to provide so much square footage of office space, furniture, break rooms with machines and equipment, etc... They will also be able to pay their employees more with the savings. Employees will also save from not commuting, (fuel and ware and tear on vehicles) as well as adjustments to their insurance policies for not driving in so much traffic and distances. It will also give workers more time at home with families and yet still getting "more" work done than when reporting to work. Studies have already been done to show this.

Do these new things strengthen SW's Unions, or weaken them ?